Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Baked Bean Scones

Do other bloggers/readers know of Briony May?  She was a contestant in The Great British Bake Off in 2018, and has gone from strength to strength in the UK food world, and now hosts Escape to the Country.  She has been doing this zany thing of making scones from A-Z, and is currently up to the letter V, I think. 

So I decided to make some baked bean scones, as I had some wee tins in the pantry (and fridge).  I can't wait to try some of her other mad scones!  She started off with hummus, then graduated to the A-Z, including N for Nutella which was a sad failure, she said.  

Quick rant here - as anyone else noticed that recipes are starting to use fan-forced oven temps. as the default? - and then putting the regular oven temperature.  I almost missed that Briony was using fan-forced, as she had only written 'fan' after the temperature, which I only just noticed on the next line of the recipe.  I find it really annoying!  Grrrrr!  Rant over :=)


of course plenty of butter on your warm scone, my friend!


Makes 4 small scones:

ingredients:

150g./5.3 oz baked beans (I used Heinz, of course), mashed

125g./4.4 oz self-raising flour (or 125g. plain flour + 1 tsp baking powder)

1/2 tsp sea salt

about a dozen grinds fresh black pepper

1/2 tsp dried parsley

1 tsp dried chives

1 Tbs milk

Parmesan cheese, grated - about 3-4 Tbs or so


pretty obvious what this is :=)


Method:

Place the mashed-up beans, flour, salt, pepper and herbs into a large mixing bowl

Add 1.5-2 Tbs of the grated Parmesan into the mixture

Give it a good mix, then shape with your hands into a dough, then into a small ball - this is a dry-looking mixture, but it will come together without added liquid (I was afraid I'd have to add milk)

Place the ball of dough onto a paper-lined baking tray, and cut into quarters

Brush the tops with the milk, then sprinkle on the rest of the cheese

Bake for 10-12 minutes at 200C/400F (mine took 13 mins.)

Split and spread with lots of butter

we love pepper!


Notes:

Notes?  Are there any notes?  Maybe not.  I just have to add that Mr P. really liked these, and said that you can't really taste the beans at all!  Oh yes, I forgot to say that Briony says to bake these at 180C fan, which of course is 200C fan-less :=)

Oh yes, don't worry too much about the mashing of the beans!  I just used a fork, and gave them a good seeing-to, but I didn't worry about a few lumpy bits!



grab those ingredients

throw everything into your mixing bowl

place the ball of dough onto your lined tray and cut into quarters

brush with milk and sprinkle with Parmesan

golden and beautiful after 13 mins. at 200C/400F

can't wait to try 'em

let's hoe in

Mr P. is keen! (hasn't his head healed well?)


of course it's beans!


36 comments:

  1. Don't know about Briony May, but I usually don't watch any cooking show..those scones look fantastic. Next time when I have some baked beans, I gotta give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to watch cooking shows! And Briony is fabulous.

      Delete
  2. I have to say that I find this recipe unusual but it sounds delicious. I don't watch the cooking shows, so I know nothing about them.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry! I can't say I ever thought to combine baked beans and scones but they look amazing! Savory deliciousness at its best

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Briony May, although the name is vaguely familiar. I have to say I don't watch that many cooking shows, except Nigella occasionally always inspiring, and a few Aussie ones perhaps if I need some therapy:) Good on you for actually making something though that you watched, and this way of cooking is also a great way of stretching the budget although I know that isn't your primary motivation, but it all helps. These look delicious Sherry, I know my hubby would love them too. Mr. P's head looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is lovely! And i am keen to try lots of her other scone recipes with whacky ingredients :) Yes hubby is doing well! considering he has had cancer, and broke his neck this year!!

      Delete
  5. What an interesting flavour! Re the oven temps, do you mean giving both temps? That's to cater for both types of ovens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only give one temp. - as in the fan-forced oven temp. or they give the fan-forced as the default temp. Grrrr! I didn't know there were two types of ovens??

      Delete
  6. As you may remember I don't usually bake but would not mind trying these. As far as cookery shows are concerned, methinks I watch at least 1-2 every single day - our SBS Food methinks is fantastic . . . at the moment I finish my evening with my beloved Adam Liaw at 10.30 pm and go onto the absolutely fabulous Taraq Taylor doing Nordic Cookery at 11pm . . . am fully in love with the guy :) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooking shows! And i watch a lot of cooks on YouTube too. So many recipes to try ...

      Delete
  7. Interesting. I would never have thought beans would work in a scone recipe. And I would've thought that Nutella would make excellent scones. Go figure! Also, forget that fan-forced oven nonsense!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i was amazed that they work so well! And yes it is so annoying with recipes giving fan-forced temps. first or only!

      Delete
  8. I've seen a lot of baking with chickpeas but not baked beans and I am intrigued. They do look very good. I am so glad to hear that Mr. P is doing well after a very trying time. I hope you are doing well also!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is intriguing and different and delicious! Thanks yes he is doing well. I have my op. next month now!

      Delete
  9. Oh yes - I love creative use of baked beans - they sound delicious in scones. And re your comment on recipes having fan forced temps, I am so confused about temps because my oven bakes much slower than most recipes - the benefit is that it is hard to burn food in my oven :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so fascinating! and tasty. We have an old gas oven and it is very slow so I have to up the temp. always...

      Delete
  10. How unusual! I would not have thought of using beans in scones, but the recipe sounds so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I do like Briony May, Sherry. She does quite a lot of unusual recipes. Haven't tried this one though. Thanks for sharing. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always have leftover beans, I'll have to give this a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting! I would have suspected that the beans would weigh down the scones a bit too much, but I guess I was wrong. These looks nice and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my.. they look so good.. and have beans in them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am afraid that growing up eating a LOT of (way too many) Boston baked beans (my parents both lived in Boston), that I will pass on this. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happily Heinz baked beans are nothing like Boston baked beans, and also you can't actually taste them in the scones! So bake away, my friend!

      Delete
  16. I have noticed the "fan" thing in British recipes. In the U.S. it's still uncommon. But beans! In scones! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can’t wait to try more of her scone recipes!

      Delete
  17. I am not a fan of baked beans at all! I am not sure about having them in scones, but what a zany idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These baked bean scones are such a fun idea, I never would’ve thought to tuck beans into a scone, but yours look so golden and inviting that I’m honestly tempted to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Raymund. They were a lovely surprise treat!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.