Tuesday, 1 September 2026

In My Kitchen - September 2026

September?  Mmm, really?  Already?  Okay, if you say so!  So Spring is here, and the equinox is almost here, too.  August was full of fun things like medical appointments and tests; and giving Mr P. lots of painkillers (on doctor's advice) to help his broken vertebra get better.  The actual spine is doing well, and the bone is nearly healed.  Yay!!

I am sitting at my study window, looking out at the jaboticaba tree which has one solitary fruit on it.  Hilarious!  Mr P. woke up very early again (and woke me), saying the birds were too loud!  Also hilarious.  And of course, at night, the possums jump onto our roof from the electricity line, and thump across to the backyard.  They like to leave their calling card of poopy pellets too.  Wildlife is fun here.  The carpet python hasn't been around for a while, so I hope s/he is okay.  They come down from the hill near us, and slither across the road.  How they don't get run over, I don't know.



I  bought this delightful artwork from Gai at Meander Gallery

Gai and her husband John (also an artist) opened their art gallery nearby a few months ago.  And I can't resist frequent visits, and acquiring more of their gorgeous art!  So here's the first curveball on this IMK post :=)  And it's kitchen-centric, of course!  I adore a bone-handled butter knife or two.


In My Kitchen:



a friend gave me homegrown parsley so I blitzed it for the freezer

my sister made us barley and veg. soup (a childhood fave that our mum used to make)

Tumbler from Magnolia Mountain; in their collab. with Gabane Pottery in Botswana

I zapped the many onions in the fridge, which then headed to the freezer

who me? going to the Japanese shop? Yep it was me!

travel salt grinders - for gifts, well maybe one for me

a beautiful handmade pottery bowl by a local potter

bought a few things online from the Naked Asian Grocer (but not the eggcup)

baked some salmon with baby capers

Bought this. Gotta love Ruby!

oh come on!  Who could resist this dusky pink cup from kimwallace.ceramics?


ceramic ice cream cup and painting by Starr fine art

My second curveball of the month!  Well, there could be some more that I haven't told you about yet ...


c. Sherry M.


Be a part of our friendly IMK community by adding your post here too - everybody welcome!  We'd love to have you visit.  Tell us about your kitchen (and kitchen garden) happenings over the past month.  Dishes you've cooked, preserves you've made, herbs and veg. in your garden, kitchen gadgets, and goings-on.  And one curveball is welcome - whatever you fancy; no need to be kitchen-related.  

The link is open from the first of the month to midnight on the thirteenth of the month, every month.

Options for adding your post to IMK:

1. Add via the Add Link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under the  Add your IMK link OR:

2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it manually to the list below OR:

3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process, or if you would like it to be added after the 13th ('cos I'm happy to add it for you later)

4. If you prefer not to add your post via Inlinkz, I am very happy to add it for you manually.  Just email me with your blog name and URL!!  

Looking forward to seeing you all here, my friends!


Mae's Food Blog: In My Kitchen


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

58 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry — As often happens, I can’t leave a link but I did write an IMK post here:
    https://maefood.blogspot.com/2026/08/august-in-my-kitchen.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is so annoying! But never mind - I've added your link manually above.

      Delete
  2. Also of course I hope both you and Mr.P will have good health in September and get rid of all that ails you… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mae. Still lots of tests and stuff ahead...

      Delete
  3. Some interesting things in your kitchen this month, but I love the sound of the salmon with capers on that fabulous looking plate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your monthly kitchen tour! You have so many unique things, and I can see some adventurous cooking ahead for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love your foodie-related art... and will be keen to hear what you think of Ruby Tandoh's book. I've heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing your monthly IMK posts. Instead of acquiring lovely kitchen items I am going through everything here and getting rid of things. That said if something I "need" catches my eye, I will probably get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Anne. Yes I really must stop acquiring stuff one day soon :=)

      Delete
  7. Love your purchases that are a winning combo of practical and pretty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful that your husband's spine and bone are healing well, Sherry. Had to google how a jaboticaba tree looks like :-)) Is custard cake from Japanese stores different from the usual supermarkets? Bet you had to pay more in the Japanese shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's great that he is doing well. And is in remission. I haven't had a custard cake like this in other stores - very Japanese i think.

      Delete
  9. Well, after seeing Mr P is better one can scroll and look at all your goodies . . . you do find some lovely things but the one practical item I am going to look up is your mineral sea salt firm . . . I don't use much of the stuff but refuse to touch the fine 'table salt' :) ! Like the knives' art work also . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i usually have sea salt in the house but i do realise an iodised salt would be good too so i must buy some :) Yes i love the knives painting! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
    2. I love seaweed as a snack when watching TV et al - get more than enough very real iodine from that :) !

      Delete
  10. Oh that book looks interesting - I'll have to check it out. Love all your kitchen related art, especially the knives. I never thought of freezing the onions, what a great idea! Do you cook with them from frozen? And great news about Mr P's healing! Hope you both have a happy and healthy month ahead. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i usually take them out of the freezer and into the pan! so easy. thanks for joining in.

      Delete
  11. Glad Mr. P is healing well. I have been to the hospital so often in the past 10 days that I feel like an ambulance (not for me)! Are the travel salt grinders plastic? I need some like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tandy. He is doing well. Oh no hospital? Hope all are doing okay. Yes they are plastic. I am going to keep one in my handbag I reckon - i was desperate for some salt on our hot chips at the local Japanese last night!

      Delete
  12. I'm a super fan of the 2 curveballs.. why not?? hope you and Mr P are on the mend, thinking of you both xx what beautiful bowls as usual, I'm envious of your collection every month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DoS. We are getting there! I keep telling myself to stop buying all the things ... hehehe...

      Delete
  13. I am so happy to hear Mr. P is on the mend. I hope you're doing well also. I've been thinking about you. I love all of your IMK. The bowl is beautiful; the painting of the mushrooms and the ceramic ice cream cone are adorable. I'm really intrigued by the Smokey Gochujang and must try to find some. I hope the new season is a good one for you both!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lori. What a year this is being. We are about to have a very hot week(end) so Spring has really sprung!

      Delete
  14. Happy to hear healing is going well, wishing you both a lovely springtime. I always come to drool over the lovely pottery pieces you acquire and use, one day, I hope to have more room for pottery pieces also! Sherry thanks so much for hosting this fun event!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Naked Asian Grocer? Makes you wonder where the name came from...on 2nd thought, let's not wonder too much there. Haha. I love that drawing of the knives - very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeed a bit funny :) Isn't the painting fab?

      Delete
  16. I always love the wonderful things you have in your kitchen -- so interesting and colorful. Your new art piece is great and I'm glad Mr. P. is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jeanie. Yes grateful that he is healing well.

      Delete
  17. Sherry, your IMK posts always feel like a little wander through your world, and this month’s mix of wildlife antics, healing updates, and kitchen treasures was such a fun read. Glad to hear Mr P’s spine is mending well. Here’s to a gentler, sunnier September for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such gorgeous ceramics and good food. We have bone handled knives that are getting quite old but I do love them. I love that floral bowl. Never knew there were such thing as travel salt grinders but I worked with someone who used to take her own little jar of salt to cafes. Ruby's book looks so interesting. Glad to hear your house is cheered by good healing and wildlife fun. And amused to see no new fancy spoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Johanna. I do love my knives! The portrait and the actual knives. Yes i have only just discovered the travel salts. I did in fact get a spoon; will go on next month's IMK post!

      Delete
  19. OMG some many good things in this post! I love shopping in various stores, I have so much Japanese curry in my cupboards right now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved this month’s peek into your kitchen, Sherry. The curveballs keep things fun, and I’m especially taken with the knives artwork. The salmon with baby capers sounds delicious, and that pink cup is such a mood-lifter. So pleased Mr P’s spine is healing -- may spring bring you both more ease and brightness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Veronica. Yes i do enjoy everyone's curveballs, esp. the photos of Baby G in Dreams of sourdough's posts.

      Delete
  21. I always enjoy my visits to your kitchen, so much going on. I like the knife artwork very much.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very kind Amalia. Yes it's brilliant art isn't it?

      Delete
  22. Sometimes the birds are too loud for me as well.. hope Mr. P keeps on healing. Love the art as well as the tumbler.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the beautiful tumbler and the local-made plate best, I think. So many beautiful and delicious things to share!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sherry -- I think it is all your curveballs that charmed me this month. Those butter knifes are perfect! And the ice cream waffle cup is just delightful. I want one of those in multiple colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they're great aren't they? I love bone-handled butter knives. Yes the ice cream cone cup is gorgeous! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  25. I still find it so disorienting that you are entering spring while we're heading into autumn. Just as your days are warming up, ours are getting a little chilly at least in the evenings. Anyway, glad to hear that your hubby is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the world is topsy-turvy :) Thanks re hubby. He is doing well.

      Delete
    2. Sherry, I've just stumbled across your IMK in the Reading List, I don't know where it got to on my email, anyway, a great month for you, as far as all the nice things that have entered your front door. How lovely though to receive gifts of nostalgic soup, and the Naked Asian Grocer sounds interesting. Anyway my project today is to complete my IMK for the month, it's been a busy one but is starting to come together thank goodness. I have one day to complete, Pressure! Really in a world of retirement? Have a nice weekend my blogging friend.

      Delete
    3. yes i've just read on other bloggers' posts that they were having problems with Blogger - not being able to load photos etc or seeing posts. I had to do a work-around on the post i was trying to write... And funny how busy retirement can be! Thanks for being part of IMK. I can always add it manually if you can't get it done by tomorrow.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.