Monday 14 October 2013

Homemade vanilla extract

Wow when you do a fair bit of baking, the vanilla essence/extract bottle seems to disappear like nobody's business!  I had been thinking of making up some myself, as it will also be great for Xmas gifts.  And you need to get started now, as it takes up to 8 weeks of steeping to mature.
So I split some beans, and threw them into a jar with some vodka; some recipes suggest bourbon or other hard liquor, but I think watching the clear liquid turn beautifully brown over the weeks is more fun!  I can't believe how much it has changed after just one day;  it is already looking mysteriously and sumptuously golden brown. 
You need to give it a shake a couple of times a week, and then after 6-8 weeks, bottle it and give some away to lucky friends and family for Xmas. 
Ingredients:
6 plump moist vanilla beans
500 mls (2 cups) of vodka (or other liquor of your choice)
Method:
Slit the beans in half horizontally after cutting into 2 or 3 pieces 
Place them in the bottom of a jar
Pour over the vodka
Let it steep for at least 6 weeks
Strain it and bottle it
You can place a piece or 2 of the beans into each bottle for extra flavour.
slitting the beans


pouring in the vodka

ready to steep for 8 weeks!

after one day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.