Thursday 1 February 2018

In My Kitchen - February 2018

I have things to show you, folks.  Probably too many things.  But this is a catch-up, isn't it?  Mr P. gave me things for Christmas; I bought myself things; other people gave me things.  Okay, you get the picture.  I hope you have lots of things to show us all too.  So here's the instructions:


Here are the options to add your post:

1. Adding via the link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under Add your IMK link
2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it to the linky list below
3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process





And here in my kitchen is:





interesting look into the life of a well-known cookbook editor



She is/was known for saving Anne Frank's Diary from an editor's slush pile.  And introducing Julia Child's cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking to US cooks.  Being a huge reader myself, I was fascinated with this look into the editor's world.




furikake seasoning


I love Japanese everything!  And at least I have a good idea what this one is, due to the English label :=)




Japanese chocolate I think; maybe Korean? 


Bought this in Melbourne on our short break.  Nope, simply not possible to resist a Japanese/Korean grocery store.



yep,more furikake!

Mr P. and I love rice so this is going to be a treat on our ricy dishes.  I love the way that Japanese foods seem to incorporate fish into everything - even their condiments and my fave rice crackers.  Dried bonito rules!




BB8- kitchen timer


I love BB8 - who doesn't?  This is a very cute timer whose head spins before beeping Star Wars music at you.




BB8 mug and lid


I came upon this in a gorgeous tea shop in the outer hills of Melbourne.  There you will find gloriously cute tea pots and mugs and wonderful chocolate and tea and bits and bobs.  A veritable tea wonderland.



Kiwi cook Chelsea Winter


Chelsea won New Zealand Masterchef a few years ago, and has published a cookbook every year since.  Five already!  I'm looking forward to trying out some of her recipes soon.  Wait for it, wait for it ... as Barney used to say.  (What do you mean, you've never watched How I Met Your Mother?)



a tin of honey from our Tassie friends  


Our Tasmanian friends came up at Christmas, bringing goodies for us.  Beautiful, strongly flavoured honey made by Tassie bees.  Go the bees!




a gift from my cousin

A gorgeous little bowl which matches our blue and white kitchen.  Thanks, coz.




a great quote from Edith Head, inimitable Hollywood costume designer


While down in Melbourne, we took a drive out to Bendigo.  This is a beautiful old town, full of historical buildings from the gold mining era of the 1850s.  We headed to the well-respected Art Gallery which was holding an Edith Head exhibition.  She was a Hollywood costume designer for many years, and won 8 Oscars for her work.  Brilliant stuff, in a time when it wasn't so normal for women to work outside the home.



a gift from hubby for Christmas 
   


I just love this one, now sitting on my kitchen wall.  It is called "the Nameless Child", by Sherry McCourt.  She uses vintage materials like old maps and books and turns them into beautiful paintings.  This one was based on a schoolgirl in a 1940s school photo.  Check Sherry out on Facebook.  (the artist, not me:=) )


And that I think is that for this month's IMK post.  Looking forward to catching up with you all!  Please join in, and show us all the fab things you have in your kitchen.


(The link will be open to the 11th Feb Aus time., to give O/S bloggers enough time on their 10th of the month.)



   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   



                      
Sherrys Pickings

42 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry,
    Your new Star Wars toys are fabulous. I have to check if they are available here.

    I enjoyed the Judith Jones book the first time I read it, but when my culinary reading group read it, they had some criticisms. I think you'll like it!

    My January wrap-up is live now, linked to your linky.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Mae for being first off the blocks. Always good to see you here. Yep I really enjoyed the Judith jones book. So interesting. Cheers S. xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely collection of things! I love all those quirky Japanese names of snacks too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine
      Me too. I’m having a Japanese obsession atm. Cheers S x

      Delete
  3. You have a pretty impressive haul there Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of furikake love here too Sherry, Japanese food just doesn't seem right without it. Love the Edith Head tea towel, I share her sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra
      Edith head was brilliant wasn’t she? Yay to furikake!

      Delete
  5. Hi Sherry, your kitcehn is so much more interesting than mine. A mix of fun and interesting. The Japanese seasonings must add an interesting flavour to food. And I do love your Starwars teapot and timer!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb
      Aren’t the Star Wars things great? So much fun. Cheers S x

      Delete
  6. You had me at chocolate coated almonds! Yum - they are seriously one of my favourite things. Thanks for hosting again xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shari. Lovely to see you here again. Cheers S x

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, how cute are those BB-8 finds?!! I too am a huge Japanese food fan. How do you know which rice seasoning to buy though? I've found there are too many to choose from at the Asian supermarkets here and not being able to read Japanese I usually just give up. Thanks again for organizing the link up! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen
      I just take a stab at the furikake and hope for the best:). I know - those BB8s are sooo cute. Thanks for joining in. Cheers S

      Delete
  8. What a fab array of goodies Sherry. I would love to read that book. People who are behind making decisions like that always fascinate me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jem
      Yes it’s an interesting read. She was a hard working woman in a time when it was unusual to do so outside the home. Have a great month. Cheers S

      Delete
  9. Dear Sherry, your IMK post touched me on SO many levels! My Feb. post is up & running at last... yay!) Have you ever read "As Always, Julia" (the letters of Julia Child & Avis DeVoto)? Another poignant look into her life... will check into your recommended read soon. BB8? So cute!!! My son & I went to see the latest Star Wars movie while he was here -- the first time in a long time I've been in a theatre -- sometimes movies are too "loud" for my musical ears (!) but it was a great film and worth the "noise." (TMOFW & I are at least a decade behind on our DVD watching, LOL!)

    Oh my goodness, Edith Head?! I saw her exhibition in Bartlesville, Oklahoma a few years back and was entranced by her craftsmanship -- and Oscars on display. We should all be so dressed so well! Cool that you got to see it, too.

    Sorry for droning on (and on...) but I'm tickled to be able to participate in IMK again. THANK YOU!!! (For your post and for hostessing.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am quite jealous of your BB8 timer - so cute. Love all your great pics of fun stuff - did you get the teapot near Miss Marples tea room (I think it is sasafrass)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi johanna
      yes i really love the timer. it is very cute. and it plays the music when the time is up! i did indeed buy the cup from the tea shop next to miss marple's in sassafras. isn't it a fab shop? cheers S

      Delete
  11. hi Kim
    thanks for popping by the IMK post and joining in. Yes i have read the book of letters and really enjoyed them. Don't often go to the cinema but we did see Paddington 2 recently. such a sweet movie. Yes i think edith head was an amazing woman. so clever. cheers Sherry xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sherry love the cute star wars timer and the Japanese rice seasoning. And of course, the lovely jar of honey, bet it tastes wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Moya
      i just adore the timer and i love anything japanese. haven't tried the honey yet but we've had it before. it is a strong flavour; great for cooking too. cheers S

      Delete
  13. Hi Sherry. I read your post a few days ago when away. Lots of great things there, I particularly love the bowl. I have piles of new things so I should do a IMK post this month. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glenda
      It would be lovely to see you here so yes please do join in. Cheers S

      Delete
  14. Nice to see all your 'making up for lost time' items! The Japanese food products look very fun.

    Thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love Furikaki, especially on simple boiled eggs. The Tassie honey looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you have some terrific new things! Fun things, too. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pheww I made it to share my post just in time... it's been busy. I enjoyed your post a lot, nice things there, especially those Star Wars items. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I honestly thought like The VegHog that I was not going to be able to join in with IMK as work life is keeping me very distracted, so I am pleased to be here. Thank you so much for hosting as always Sherry.

    I am very much liking the Japanese seasonings , esp the one for rice. I'd love to try the Tassie bees honey and I do adore the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi shaheen
      So glad you could join us here for IMK. I appreciate the effort:)
      Cheers S x

      Delete
  19. Hi Sherry,
    Glad to see you are off to good start of the year. That Star Wars beeping in the kitchen is really a brilliant timer.Always amazed me all this goodies from Japan, even with English translation I wonder what are they for or how to cook them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aida
      Nice to see you here. Hope you are having a good year so far. Cheers S

      Delete
  20. Working on my post for this month. I am loving all your pickings. I did not realize Jones saved the diary. I will probably buy that book as soon as the book store opens this week. Really---I love the tea towel, the honey, the bowl, that painting.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debra. I think the diary may have been published in Europe before it became available in the US. Judith saved it from an American publisher's pile i think. cheers S x

      Delete
  21. Wow, you really got some lovely gifts. I need to read up on the Furikake seasoning :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My kitchen (post flood) is being installed apparently in 1 week! I can't wait. I'm so over having one small fridge, no bench space my huge stash of flours,grains and nuts etc I use to have in the freezer. Best way to keep a good variety of pantry items in the tropics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. post flood? oh dear what happened? yep i keep lots of things in the fridge and freezer too. you have to in sunny QLD:)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.