Friday 1 June 2018

In My Kitchen - June 2018

Well June, you came hurtling down the calendar mighty fast, didn't you?  Winter is calling, and it's finally getting a bit cool here in sunny Brisbane.  Glorious weather, sunny days, bright blue skies and crisp nights head our way.  Or you can get rainy skies, like today (as I write).  Either way, it's nice to enjoy cooler temperatures, and a humidity level under 70% :=) 




artwork by sherry's pickings 


So here we go again, folks.  I'll just get the housekeeping out of the way first.  As you know, there has been a change to Data Protection laws in the EU, which started on 25 May.  So if you have a blog or website that is read by anyone in the EU, you have to comply with their rules.  My blog (and yours) now has to have a new warning/notification come up about cookies and so on.  And depending on where you are in the world, you will see this, or not.  Hilariously, I got an email from Google telling me they had put up the notice for me - except I can't see it 'cos I'm not in the EU.  I had to ask an English friend to check it for me.  Yep Aok.

Phew, now that's out of the way, let's look at some new bits and bobs in my kitchen:



just a few goodies


For some reason, it's really hard to get caperberries these days at the supermarket, so I ordered them from an online provisions store.  Plus a couple of other delicious goodies, as you can see.  I just can't stop opening the fridge and sneaking a caperberry or two.



little red jug

This cute little jug was a gift from my cousin.  She knows how I love a jug.  Oops, please ignore the dust.  



some more olive oil to keep me going 

I love to have different kinds of olive oil in my pantry, so here we have hojiblanca, which means white leaf.  This is a Spanish cultivar, which has aromas of cut grass and artichokes, apparently.  I haven't opened it yet, so I can't confirm one way or the other.



my Gromit tea towel


Any Wallace and Gromit fans out there?  I am, so I had to get this cute tea towel.  Oh, and of course Gromit himself.  He is actually much bigger than this photo suggests.  He is currently acting as The Kitchen God, overseeing my culinary efforts.  You know, that Chinese/Vietnamese domestic god who protects the hearth and family.  Though Gromit is not of the pertinent ethnicity, his doggy protection is most welcome:=)



have a guess?


Yes you're right.  These are paper loaf tin liners.  I was so happy to find these in a local appliance store.  I have a thing about lining baking tins, so this is a relief.  Just butter the tin, and pop this in!



Martin Boyd Pottery ramekins, filled with lemon cream 


For those not familiar with the Boyd name - they were a well-known Australian family of artists, sculptors and potters, though Martin was actually a writer.  Apparently these ramekins were very popular in the 1950s, when nearly a million were made.  They come in a huge range of beautiful colours.  I love the design, and the way the interior colours are different to the exteriors.  I have been going a bit crazy making lemon creams, and chocolate pots in these little beauties.



our new one burner hotplate, with the grill pan in the background 


I know, this is kind of weird to show you, but we are so pleased with it.  I really don't like frying, and I hate to have grease flying about the kitchen, so we bought this!  Mr P. takes it out to the deck and happily cooks away on his grill pan.  Et voilà, you throw away the brown paper with all the grease on it.


That's it for this month from me.  Happily waiting to hear from you, my friends.  By the by, I have decided to change the end date for IMK this month.  I know, I know, I'd only just changed it last month.  But - as the Millennials say - epic fail :=)  We actually had less participants, even with more time.  Now the end date is 5pm on the 13th of the month.  Subject to change at a later date - tee hee.
   

Once again, here are your options for adding your lovely IMK posts.  Oops, a wee bit more housekeeping.  Inlinkz, the linking tool I use for IMK has updated recently.  So in order to add your posts (i.e. if you prefer that I do it), I must have your email address.  Inlinkz demands one!  I used to be able to leave it blank, but no more.  I am happy to do this for you, but just let me know and leave your email address too.


1. Adding via the link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under Add your IMK link
2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it to the linky list below
3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process
 



Ed: Still having problems with my blog and comments and the link-up folks.  Sorry about that.  It seems the only way you can see all the links (and be able to open them) is to hit on the line below where it says "an inlinkz link-up."   This brings up all the links.  Hopefully I can fix this all up soon.  Very frustrating atm!  Cheers sherry




     
    An InLinkz Link-up
   


                      
Sherrys Pickings

48 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry,
    You seem to have had a good month! I love Grommit and his tea towel and your many other novelties. My post summarizing the month of May is up, so I've linked it to the group post.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Mae. Lovely to have you here again first past the post. have a great june. cheers sherry

      Delete
  2. Mr P likes all the items this month - the ramekins are particularly good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you have had another busy month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it’s flying by and super busy - and fun!

      Delete
  4. I have a similar hot plate that I find useful when I entertain. I use it on my island to keep certain foods warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi karen
      yes it's very useful. i love being able to cook out on the deck and not mess up the kitchen! cheers S

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fun month - are those martin boyd ramekins actually made by him - I remember reading his novels at school. I love wallace and gromit so your gromit tea towel and dog seem fun items for your kitchen. Your outdoor hotplate would be great in summer. And I am curious about the caperberries - are they for snacking and platters or for dishes you cook? I've linked my IML post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks heaps johanna. No he didn't make any of the pottery. his brother guy named the pottery after martin for some reason but he wasn't a potter himself. caperberries are delish just to eat by themselves or in pasta or salads etc. i love them. cheers S

      Delete
  6. Ooooooh, I really love those goodies. Pickled cherries?! Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mimi
      yep i can't wait to try those cherries. planning on making a smoked chicken and cherry salad soon. cheers S

      Delete
  7. The changes to data protection laws have been a big deal over here!

    Your new ramekins are gorgeous and I will have to look out for tin liners. I also like to line cake tins and usually use parchment paper but it can leave messy edges! I'll also have to try caperberries - I never have.

    Thanks for hosting, as always :-)
    https://www.bitesizedthoughts.com/2018/06/in-my-kitchen-june-2018.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Kari for dropping by and joining in. yes i'm a bit peeved with the new DP laws. it's driving me crazy trying to sort it all out. hopefully i can get my blog back to normal soon. cheers sherry

      Delete
  8. I'm running a bit behind schedule Sherry but will have a post ready within the week. Big Wallace & Gromit fans here too in fact everything produced by that bunch of madcap geniuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi sandra
      i know what you mean about wallace and gromit. love 'em! a bit of fyi - i'm having huge probs with blogger and gmail and the links etc...so they're not appearing on the blog. hoping to fix it all up soon. cheers sherry

      Delete
  9. I love the idea of having a burner on the deck. Great idea! Again loving your pottery and that red pitcher is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra! We are enjoying cooking on the deck too. Makes it more fun, if a bit chilly. Cheers sherry

      Delete
  10. Hoping this comment reaches you Sherry. Love the Boyd ramekins. Francesca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi F
      Yay yes it came thru. Those ramekins are so cute. Cheers S

      Delete
  11. I love Essential Ingredient! I was there the other day to buy some dry chipotle chilies. Those pickled cherries look and sound yum. I've not heard of Boyd but those ramekins are absolutely gorgeous. I don't know Wallace and Gromit very well, but I do know the Gruffalo! Thanks for hosting the linkup once again. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Jen
      thanks for dropping by. so sad that your blog doesn't allow comments! other bloggers have told me this too. It just says Forbidden when you enter a comment. Do you perhaps need to turn on the commenting part of your blog? I know on mine it is actually part of the settings. cheers sherry

      Delete
    2. Thanks, it should be fixed now. If only it were as simple as clicking a box - there was something in the back end causing the issue. Cheers, Jen =)

      Delete
    3. i know what you mean Jen. nothing is ever easy with these blogs and comments etc.:) cheers

      Delete
  12. Wallace & Gromit are great, that burner hotplate looks practical. I have also added my post in June. Have a nice month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much veg hog for joining us. cheers sherry

      Delete
  13. Don't you love Gromit. Cannot help thinking "where's the cheese?"

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used those baking tin liners and they're excellent. Everyone always asks me where they're from too! A lovely haul this month (and yes where does the year go?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi lorraine
      the year is galloping by isn't it? scary stuff. i thought it was a bit hilarious that the liners can be bought at The Good Guys for some reason.:) cheers S x

      Delete
  15. I love the sound of the pickled cherries! Caperberries and capers are so easy to get here. I also line my baking tins and would find the loaf liners very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi tandy
      yes the liners are a godsend. i really hate trying to cut up baking paper to fit but these make it all so easy. cheers!

      Delete
  16. I absolutely love caperberries, but you're right you don't really see them readily available. Love the ramekins too - I'm a sucker for a ramekin!
    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi laura
      yep i'm a fan of a nice ramekin too. and caperberries. what a shame they aren't grown more here in Aus. cheers S

      Delete
  17. Hard to believe it's June already! Anyway, outstanding stuff in your kitchen this month --- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely things in your kitchen. The little pots are adorable, and what a great idea the baking liners. Thank you so much for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Time passes so quickly Sherry and I see you've given us a little more time to post :) Your are entering the cooler months while we are heading into our sweltering summer month. Love your little red jug and new ramekins... thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Time passes so quickly Sherry and I see you've given us a little more time to post :) Your are entering the cooler months while we are heading into our sweltering summer month. Love your little red jug and new ramekins... thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah! The Good Guys! I've been searching for more liners at the cheap shops but had no luck. Great post as always.
    Elissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Elissa. nice to have you here. cheers sherry

      Delete
  22. Hi Sherry. Your kitchen looks lovely and cheerful - all those colourful little pots and jugs. I admit I also admired the lovely zig zag background... perfectly bright for gloomy winter weather. I too love a good olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmm not sure my first comment went through, so I may end up doubling up. I was saying how I loved your bright things now that winter is here - the jug and ramekins are great, and so too is your lovely bright zig zag background! Love the tea towel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I am particularly fond of those ramekins:). And I do love a zig zag. So lucky in brissie to have sunny winters. Cheers sherry

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.