Monday 13 August 2018

Caraway Scones - International Scone Week - August 2018 - #ISW2018

International Scone Week has come around so fast this year.  #ISW was started some years ago by Celia from the Fig Jam & Lime Cordial blog, and is now under the mantle of Tandy of Lavender and Lime fame.  Join in folks!  Everyone is welcome.  I don't often make scones; not sure why as they are incredibly quick and easy to make.  They can be sweet or savoury, and whipped up in a short time for surprise guests.

This recipe is from Old Farmhouse Recipes by Alison Uttley, known for her Little Grey Rabbit children's books.  She gives no oven temp. or baking time, and not much direction for this recipe - I guess any good cook of the (late Victorian) era would know these things already.  So I've done my best, and I think they turned out pretty well, if a bit flat.  I'm not sure if they're meant to be this way, or if my bicarb soda was just too darn old?:=)  And who would have thought to put marmalade and caraway seeds into scones?:=)  Pretty tricky those Victorians.  




slather on the butter and jam



ingredients:


450g. of plain flour

1 tsp of baking powder

110g. of butter

170g. of sugar

2 tbs of caraway seeds - I used US tablespoons here

2 tbs marmalade

1 tsp bicarb-soda dissolved in a tsp of water

1 tbs of vinegar

about 180 mLs of buttermilk or plain Greek yoghurt thinned out with water

1-2 tbs of cream or milk for brushing the tops before baking


Method:


Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl

Mix in chunks of the butter with a knife, then get your hands in and rub it together till it looks like breadcrumbs

Stir in the sugar and caraway seeds

Make a well in the middle of the flour and butter mixture

In goes the marmalade, bi-carb and vinegar - yes, it fizzes:) 

Mix to a stiff dough with the buttermilk or yoghurt - start with 125 mLs (half a cup), then use more if needed

Tip out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 2 cm. (about 1 inch) thick shape - round or rectangle

Cut out rounds with a scone cutter (or glass) - you will get about 12

Place on a lightly floured, or a lined baking tray

Brush the tops with the cream or milk

Bake at 200C for about 15-20 mins. till lightly golden brown on top

Cool on a wire rack or just eat warm with butter and jam:=) 


Notes:

I didn't have buttermilk (Alison says to use 'sour milk'), so I made up some thick Greek yoghurt with water till I had about 180 mLs

I would probably use a bit less sugar next time, as the marmalade also makes them sweet

You may need more or less liquid, depending on your flour, etc

Leave the caraway seeds out if you're not a fan, or try another spice


I ended up with 19 scones!  I think it was because I made my dough shape too small - i.e. only 1 cm. thick rather than 2.  Silly me!  Maybe that's why they ended up a bit flat too





ingredients (mostly) gathered  



rub between your fingers till it looks like breadcrumbs 



yep the bicarb and vinegar fizz together



it should look like this when you squish it together




bring it together gently to a ball



pat out the dough with your hands till about 2cm. thick



cut out the rounds with a scone cutter or glass



golden brown and smelling great




delicious with lots of butter and jam




caraway seeds - artwork by sherry's pickings


18 comments:

  1. Here it is the last day of scone week, and I'm impressed by those of you who participated. I'll await some other challenge, though I may try a scone recipe some time, just to see if I really find them too dry (which is my reaction to the ones I've bought in bakeries).

    Yours look very nice -- I'm a big fan of caraway seeds though I think of them as savory not so much as sweet. I like them in rye bread and in cole slaw.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Mae
      yes i too was surprised to see caraway seeds in a sweet scone. but it works! a good scone is a thing of beauty - moist and fluffy (a bit unlike my attempt here) :=) cheers S x

      Delete
  2. Hi Sherry, scones are one of those things I rarely make too, which seems sad considering I am Mum used to make them most weekends when I was growing up (or maybe thats why?). There are some interesting ingredients in these! Marmalade? Very interesting.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're so right deb. marmalade in the dough? weird - but good. cheers S

      Delete
  3. These sound so interesting. I suppose everyone in those days baked in an aga type oven and who knew what the temperature was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i guess the cook would be used to their own oven and know the hot and not so hot spots. thanks for hosting Cheers S x

      Delete
  4. they look delicious and sound quite old fashioned in their flavours - I think I would need to feel brave to try this flavour combination but am sure it would pay off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were surprisingly tasty. I had been a bit dubious myself but they were nice. Not a flavour combo I would have come up with:).

      Delete
  5. I don't make scones that often and I know why-because I find it hard to stop at just one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep they are tempting with their jam and cream deliciousness:)

      Delete
  6. I love caraway and lemon muffins but caraway and marmalade in the dough takes some imagination. They look scrumptious loaded with butter and jam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Dee. they were good - a bit surprisingly:)

      Delete
  7. These look great! Like the idea of the caraway -- unusual (at least I haven't seen it in a scone before; but then I don't get out much ;-) God recipe -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi KR
      I agree - i've never heard of caraway in a scone before either. like i said, tricky those Victorians. :) cheers S

      Delete
  8. I seriously almost picked up a cute scone pan yesterday. Now am kicking myself. Love the artwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi debra
      i wonder what a scone pan is?:) thanks re the artwork- very kind of you. cheers S

      Delete
  9. These sound delicious Sherry. I really enjoy the taste of caraway seeds so I'll be giving these a go for sure. Scones are so tasty and easy. Off to check out the other scone recipes - you can never have too many scones!!
    Cheers,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi laura, yes it was a surprise to me too - to use marmalade and caraway in them but delicious! cheers S

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.