Tuesday 13 November 2018

Vanilla Zulu Culinary Adventures

Our mate Mel runs a cooking school, which has recently moved from our local village to a new spot in trendy Teneriffe.  She was asked to run a class for a local tv show last week, so she gathered together some keen foodies like myself to be a part of the 'tv' class.  Mel's classes are always fun and crazy, so I jumped to say yes.  I snuck in a friend too, who had a fabulous time of it, and got herself in some great photos:=)    



wow!  happy days!  Mel holding up her brand-new book

Yep, Mel really is twice my height:=)  Just kidding.  I think we were up to mischief there.  I mean, look at all that flour over my apron.  Well, we were making pasta and focaccia after all.  



heart-shaped focaccia


The dough became a heart-shaped bread, with rosemary (from Mel's garden) and black salt for crunch. Olive oil is splashed over the top, giving it flavour and shine.  This was so delicious, served with truffle-whipped butter.  Are you drooling, my friends?



grating, grating, grating... that parmesan

Mel giving that dough a good seeing-to


There was much grating of cheese and rolling of dough.  I got so excited when kneading the dough, I managed to tip over a glass of water and give the bench a good shaking.  Well, it's fab for getting rid of your tensions, isn't it?:-)  Kneading I mean... 



deelish my friends

How fabulously edible does this look?  Hand-made ravioli, red capsicum sauce, focaccia with truffle whipped butter and some gorgeous prosciutto.



Courtney (the talent) and me looking a bit cheeky 


Courtney is the lovely lady being filmed for the show.  The rest of us just tagged along for the ride, so to speak.  She was so very charming and friendly, it made the whole session a real pleasure.



Mel and my mate M


Look at those equally beaming smiles.  Or are they up to some mischief? :-)  That's Mel's book by the way, in her hot little hands.



Mel showing Courtney the clever way to chop an onion 


yes cheese and wine too

See the cheeses, folks?  And yes there was delicious wine.  I believe VZ has a liquor licence now, so who knows what further delights that will bring? 



well, you can see what this is:-)


Mel was born in Zimbabwe, but her family fled to South Africa when she was a child.  She has run her cooking school in Durban, and now in sunny Brisbane.  So she has a wealth of skills and knowledge and passion to share with those in her classes.  Hop aboard, fellow foodies!  Come visit Mel and chef Jan, and enjoy learning about, and sharing food with like-minded people.


Vanilla Zulu Culinary Adventures
92 Commercial Rd.,Teneriffe 4005
Ph: 0434 220 796

14 comments:

  1. That's a cute focaccia. It's great that Mel is doing so well but a shame it's not as local to you anymore. Swings and roundabouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a wee bit sad when she moved out of the village:(

      Delete
    2. Fantastic to see - you do look very cheeky Sherry - and that apron!! Mel is awesome, everyone is awesome xix

      Delete
    3. i know - that cheeky look on my face. what was i thinking? fun i guess:)

      Delete
  2. It was the best fun with Mel, you and the crew! By the look on your face and your apron, I know you had lots of fun haha xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That focaccia looks great. You had me at truffled whipped butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE freshly baked focaccia! It's so pillowy soft and delicious. Looks like a fun class Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the smiles on everyone's face and the plate of food, I'd say you all had a terrific day of cooking and eating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From the smiles on everyone's face and the plate of food, I'd say you all had a terrific day of cooking and eating. It appears that my comments may not be going through so I'll try anonymous. Karen (Back Road Journal)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.