Thursday 16 January 2020

Triple Chocolate White Christmas Slice

Yes I know it's kinda late (or is it just really, really early?) to be posting a Christmas treat, but there you have it, my friends.  We will just have to live with it.  Better late than never, so they say.  I usually make White Christmas once a year - for Christmas, natch! - but this time I went for a slightly different version.  This one has three kinds of chocolate.  Well, you know one kind is never enough.  And Mr P. adores white chocolate, and I adore dark, and milk chocolate is for wusses ... tee hee:-)

I've done a wee bit of tweaking on this ever-popular and ubiquitous recipe.  This is dead easy, with just a bit of faffing due to melting and cooling three different types of chocolate, before mixing it all together.  But I think you'll agree when you try it, that it's worth the faff.  I am not a big faffer in general, but sometimes you just have to do it:-)    


ingredients:


160g. (5.5 oz) macadamias or almonds, toasted and chopped

a big pinch of sea salt flakes

90g. (1 cup) desiccated coconut, lightly toasted

45g. (1.5 cups) rice bubbles/krispies - you know, puffed rice!

100g. (3 oz) red glacé cherries, halved

160g. (5.5 oz) sultanas or cranberries or dried fruit of your choice

1 tsp vanilla extract

170g. (about 7 oz) dark chocolate

170g. milk chocolate

170g. white chocolate

a pinch of sea salt flakes (optional)

bling for decoration - I used glamour sprinkles - (optional)



Method:


Line a 27cm x 17cm (base) (10.5" x 6.5") baking tray/tin with baking paper

Toast the nuts with the salt, in a 180C oven for about ten minutes or till goldenly, deliciously nutty-smelling

Tip the nuts out of the tray into a small bowl, and let them cool while you pour the coconut onto the same (now empty) tray - toast it gently at 160C for about five minutes - don't let it burn!  Let it cool for a few minutes

Mix everything (except the three types of chocolate) together in a large bowl

Divide the mixture into three medium bowls; you will end up with about 185g. in each bowl

Melt the dark chocolate, and pour it into one of the bowls

Stir well, and spread the mixture into the bottom of the baking tin

Refrigerate for five minutes, while you melt the milk chocolate and let it cool for a minute

Pour the milk chocolate into the second bowl of mixture, and give it a darn good stir

Now take the tray out of the fridge, and scrape/spoon your chocolatey bowlful on top of the dark chocolate layer

Into the fridge for another five minutes, while you melt the white chocolate

Stir the white chocolate into your third and last bowl of mixture

Now spread that over the milk choc layer

Cast on the sea salt if using, and throw on plenty of bling

Place in the fridge for an hour to firm up, then slice into whatever size your greedy little heart desires :-) 


Notes:


You could easily change this to just two layers of chocolate, if you can't be bothered faffing around with three

Use a smaller baking tin if you prefer thicker layers



yep, I used three different kinds of nuts 'cos I didn't have enough macadamias


gather your ingredients in a large bowl


give 'em a good stir


ready to throw the melted choc into the mix


all layered up and blinged up!


The Grinch overseeing the tasty morsels:-)

Mr P. declared these delicious, and he's not even a fan of this sort of thing!  Yep, they are pretty darn tasty, my friends.  Crikey, I sound like a hillbilly:-)  You could even make this for a non-Christmas treat.  And it's gluten-free (I'm pretty sure), so it's suitable for all your fussy friends and family.  Just kidding.  Yes, I know there are some real coeliacs around, so don't shoot me.  And Happy New Year, everyone!    




     artwork © Sherry's Pickings


38 comments:

  1. It's never too late to have a good treat, esp. when it involves so many good nuts :-)) They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks angie. you can add whichever nuts you like, and this was a good combo. cheers S

      Delete
  2. This looks terrific! And there are loads of holidays, so just declare this appropriate for whatever holiday is on the horizon. Thanks for such a nice recipe, and welcome back from your break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi KR. thanks. it's nice to be back, but there's so much to catch up on... i can't believe how quickly the festive season flew by. happy new year to you!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! I like your twist on this Christmas favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be a treat any time! I think I had a recipe like that long ago but it also used sweetened condensed milk somehow.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is an old fave that everyone's mum used to make here but using horrible old copha (palm oil?) rather than white chocolate. this is better!

      Delete
  5. I know you've said these are a Christmas slice, but how could you not just want to eat these anytime. Perfect to go with a good cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't make one of these this Christmas as we travelled to Cairns but I am thinking this would be perfect for Easter. What do you reckon? We need to know there will be friends and family around when I make this kind of deliciousness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was just thinking that earlier today pauline. perfect for easter! our container is getting emptier and emptier. i just can't stop eating this... hope your hols are going well.

      Delete
  7. What an incredible combination of ingredients, Sherry! I don’t think I can wait until Christmas — perhaps they should just simply be renamed, Valentine Slices?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think these would be good any time of year david. easter is coming up... :-)

      Delete
  8. Well, I can definitely save this recipe for next Christmas! Looks decadent! Happy 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still don't think I've ever made white christmas slice but this looks like it's just my style! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is right up my eat street and I love how you hedged your bets and used three kinds of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if one chocolate is good, three is... superb! :-)

      Delete
  11. Well don't these sound delicious! I love the combination of nuts and chocolate, so this wouldn't last long in our house. Plus, I'm cracking up at the idea that this is just an early Christmas recipe for next year. I'm on board with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like to get in early david!! tee hee. no, really i was just slack and didn't post it before Xmas...

      Delete
  12. This is a horrible recipe to read while in the midst of doing that keto thing! It looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks anne. i can feel you drooling all the way...

      Delete
  13. Very interesting. I've definitely never had anything like it, even at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jeff. maybe white christmas is an aussie thing? very popular, very well-known here. everyone's mum used to make it.

      Delete
  14. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing another winner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's always the right time of the year for a treat like this. You know, I've never heard of or had this one, but I would surely love it. It's going in my 2020 Christmas cookie file...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Ron
      that's interesting. i think this really must be an aussie thing! it seems to be a mystery to american readers:) it is very delish!

      Delete
  16. Sounds absolutely delicious. You had me at chocolate 🍫 😍

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.