Sunday 22 May 2022

Potato Quinoa And Chives Cakes

Righto, I'll admit it here - I am not a massive fan of quinoa (or kale, or yeast flakes or any of that kind of thing), but you have to try everything once.  Well, maybe not mass murder or monkey brains :-)  This recipe is from Jane Grover's book Our Delicious Adventure - her account of her family's travels around Australia.

You could do this the hard way or take the easy route like I did, by using quick-cook quinoa.  Jane's method is to soak the grains overnight in lemon juice so it can ferment a bit, then you rinse and drain, and pat it dry and boil it, and ....  Her flavourings on the other hand are very simple, with just some chives and salt and pepper as the flavouring.  Soooo, I went to town and kept adding things 'cos I just don't know when to stop ...  So the optional extras are all mine. 


Makes 12 chunky little beauties!


ingredients:


190g./6.7 oz quinoa - (I used the quick-cook stuff) 

190 mL/6.4 fl oz water

4 large potatoes (approx 900g./32 oz), peeled and chopped into chunks

100g./3.5 oz butter

1/2 tsp salt

5 Tbs fresh herbs, chopped (yep, I went for parsley and chives)

1 tsp salt

ground black pepper - about 1 tsp

1 large egg

1/2 tsp dried garlic granules or 1 clove garlic, grated (optional)

1/2 tsp chicken stock powder (or use your fave flavour) (optional)

2 tsp gochugaru or dried chilli flakes of your choice (optional)

3 Tbs parmesan, grated (optional)

1 Tbs sesame seeds (optional)

2 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes (optional)

80g./3 oz cooked chicken, finely chopped (you guessed it! Optional)

1-2 Tbs roast capsicum, finely chopped (optional)

4-5 Tbs EV olive oil, or plain veg. oil for frying


Told ya Jane's recipe is very simple on the ingredients!



Method:


Follow the instructions on the quinoa packet!  The quick-cook version needs equal amounts of grains and water but yours may need something different

Then get on to the potatoes: Boil or steam or microwave them till tender; drain, add the butter and salt, and mash to your liking (I like a few lumps)

Tip the quinoa and the potato mash into a large mixing bowl; add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the chicken and capsicum (and Evoo)

Stir it together, or get your hands in so it's all nicely mixed

Grab a large frypan, add 2 Tbs of the oil, heat it till bubbly, then drop in half cups of the mixture (I made 4 at a time)

Pat them down gently with a spatula/egglifter

Cook for 4-5 minutes per side till beautifully browned; flip 'em and cook on the other side

Place them on a lined baking tray and shove into a low oven to keep warm

Now cook the next batch of 4, adding another 1 Tbs of oil if needed

Yep, into the oven they go when done

Add the chicken and capsicum to the last bit of the mix, stir it in, and fry up the last 4 patties/cakes using another Tbs of oil

Serve with tomato relish, and a salad, or even in a bun - like a veggie burger



Notes:


These are tender little babies so if they start falling apart in the pan, just pat them together again

I used organic, gluten-free stock powder

Don't use that disgusting garlic powder stuff!  I used actual garlic that is dried into granules

Obvs. you can cook however many cakes at a time you want!  Four fit in my pan beautifully

I wonder if 2 eggs would be better?



mash the tatties with the butter and salt

the mash and the cooked quinoa

everything into the bowl

mixture ready for the pan

half-cup portions (sorry for blurry photo)

start frying in the oil

ready to keep warm in the oven

crunchy and tender and tasty

an interesting book



© Sherry M.


34 comments:

  1. These little savoury cakes look filling, healthful and absolutely moreish. Love the fact that they are naturally gluten free and jam packed with nutrients, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks angie. i guess they're good for you too!

      Delete
  2. Sherry, I'm with you when it comes to quinoa. But that aside, the potato cakes look so yummy that I've got to try them. Maybe even with the quinoa.
    I read here in our Swedish news that you guys will have a new government, hopefully it will be a good one for most...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we are very happy about our new Prime Minister and government. Yay! Looking forward to good changes.

      Delete
  3. I used to use quinoa a fair amount some years ago, but I'll bet it's been a good 5 years since I've made a dish using it. Finally decided, I guess, that's it's OK stuff, not good stuff (my highest rating!). :-) Anyway, this is an interesting way to use it. And I'd want the optional stuff you've added every time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so right KR. Yep just okay stuff not great. Def. needs the flavour boosts.

      Delete
  4. These look so tasty and filing and nutritious Sherry. I've been using quinoa more and more in dishes but not patties like these, but a great way to stretch the budget and fill empty stomachs. I would use 2 eggs I think to bind them a bit better, but the quinoa should do that well too.I love the blank canvas of potato and quinoa allowing so many other flavours to be added.Yes, Great election result eh? The people have spoken, and so many good female independents. And our NRL team the Cowboys had a great win, a terrific day:) Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i think 2 eggs would be good. So happy with the election result!

      Delete
  5. I've never met a patty or cake that I didn't like and this one is no exception. Love that you added the quinoa to a potato cake. Makes it a meal and a delicious one at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the quinoa gave it a bit of texture. we enjoyed them!

      Delete
  6. Hi Sherry, this is Bernadette. I have one hard time commenting here. I like all the ingredients so for me this is an ideal recipe. Thanks for sharing the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi B. Sorry about the commenting. Bloody Blogger! It hates comments!

      Delete
  7. I love different fritters/cakes and mix up the ingredients. You sure have a lot of options that you used? I don't cook with quinoa much - I think I have only 1 post (out of 1300) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i figured this recipe was so very plain that it needed a flavour boost!

      Delete
  8. I've never been a huge quinoa fan either, but this looks worth a try -- especially with your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I just use quick-cook quinoa in my recipes too Sherry. Like you I couldn't be bothered with soaking the grains overnight, rinsing it, etc. etc. Although I've made my fair share of potato cakes before I've never added quinoa. Must try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good idea Neil. yes the quinoa adds a bit of crunch which is not a bad thing.

      Delete
  10. As others and you have said, I have never really understood the hoopla about quinoa. It's kind of blah. But this looks like good way to use it as it would take on all the additional flavors.

    Why did you add the chicken to just the last batch? Did you have a vegetarian guest or just an experiment? Which patty did you like the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wanted to make the recipe without meat as the author did but then i decided to add a bit of chicken. it was good! Hubby and I don't eat a lot of meat these days.

      Delete
  11. I really like the idea of cooking these into cakes! I could see serving these cakes over a salad. I don't eat quinoa a whole lot, but I actually enjoy it quite a bit - next time, try toasting the dry quinoa in a skillet for a couple of minutes. (Keep a close eye on it so it doesn't burn!) It adds a bunch of flavor and it actually smells like peanut butter - go figure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a good idea david. toasting the quinoa will add flavour and texture - like the oats i put into anzac biscuits.

      Delete
  12. I was expecting a cake!! lol.. well they look delicious to me. I do use quinoa as a side dish instead of rice sometimes. I like it but don't love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they were good judee. yep me too. like not love.

      Delete
  13. I will definitely join you in using the quick cook quinoa, and also in avoiding mass murder and monkey brains! (You crack me up!) I also heartily agree with you about the granulated garlic. Even before I was allergic, I found the stuff awful! Why would you use that when you can use fresh? Drives me bonkers. The smell of it alone… Since we are trying to eat more plant-based meals on a regular basis, I’d like to add this to our rotation. (With, or without, the chicken!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tee hee! at least the dried garlic i buy is just plain old garlic - dried!

      Delete
  14. This looks very tasty Sherry! I'm curious why you don't like quinoa. It's quite inoffensive to me but maybe I'm missing something. I just bought some nutritional yeast to try making a vegan dish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lorraine. quinoa is okay just not my fave! yes very inoffensive; perhaps that's why it ain't my fave. i bought a huge bag of nut. yeast flakes - no choice, that's the only size :-)

      Delete
  15. It looks healthy and yum 😃!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sherry, these quinoa patties look really good. Served up on top of salad would make for a healthy weeknight supper. I like it!
    Best, Velva

    ReplyDelete
  17. Che buone! tortine salate molto gustose!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.