Saturday 16 December 2023

Chocolate Nut Bars

I was a bit worried about these to be honest, but they were delicious! ...  Now writing this some weeks later, I can't remember why I was so worried about them.  They were very delicious!  This recipe is from Liz Harfull's Tried Tested and True, a fabulous book with recipes from community cookbooks - my fave kind!

There are 3 layers to these bars, but they are easy to do, especially if you make the base in the food processor (yes, do it!).  I made these, and mini muffins, and berry muffins for a friend who was having a huge clean-up in her house and yard.  I snuck a couple of pieces for Mr P. and myself to test them out.  Yep, delicious!  

Talking of cleaning up the yard, I was planting out some freesia bulbs one day, when I dug up a tiny, wee baby eastern bearded dragon.  S/he reared up and opened her beautiful, bright yellow throat at me.  It was amazing to me that they actually live right under the soil!  S/he was a sweetheart, so her throaty little display didn't worry me at all.  We are so lucky to have abundant wildlife in our suburbs; well, maybe not so much with the foxes.  


pre-chocolate coating

Makes a 20cm x 20cm square:

Ingredients:

Base:

110g./4 oz wholemeal plain flour

1.5 Tbs cocoa powder

3 Tbs raw caster sugar

90g./3.2 oz butter, chopped


Topping:

2 large eggs

150g./5.3 oz raw caster sugar

3 Tbs plain flour

1 tsp baking powder

60g./2 big oz walnuts, chopped

45g./1.6 oz dessicated coconut (unsweetened)

110g./4 oz glacé ginger, chopped 

1 tsp vanilla extract or paste

90g./3.2 oz dark chocolate (70% is good)


Method:

On goes your oven to 180C/350F

Butter and line with baking paper a 20cm/8 inch square and shallow cake pan/baking tray (with sides)

For the base, you sift the flour and cocoa into a large bowl, and then stir in the sugar

Now rub in the butter with your fingers till it's looking like fine breadcrumbs, or do what I did - chuck the flour, cocoa and sugar into your food processor and pulse the butter into it till - yes, you guessed it - it looks like fine breadcrumbs

Pulse it a few more times till it comes together,  then press it into your baking tin

Bake for 15 minutes - and in the meantime - 

You will be making the topping during this 15 minutes :=) so, beat your eggs well in a large mixing bowl; add the sugar and beat till thick and light and fluffy (but the sugar doesn't have to be dissolved, says Liz)

Grab another bowl, sift (or whisk) the flour and baking powder together, then fold this mixture into the fluffy, eggy mixture

And now add the walnuts, coconut, ginger and vanilla - gently my dears, with a firm but tender hand till beautifully combined

Pour this topping mixture over your still-hot base, then whack it back into the oven for 30 minutes - you want it a lovely golden-brown colour and firm to the touch of your delicate fingers :=)

Now let it cool down, melt your chocolate (in the microwave is a good method) and spread it all over the top of the nutty base

When cool (but before the chocolate has completely set), slice it up into squares

Keep in an airtight container for a couple of days


Notes:

Use whatever nut you fancy here

Liz suggests melting 20g./0.7 oz butter with the chocolate if you are worried about it setting too hard on top, so that cutting will be easier


press the chocolate-y base into the lined baking tin

pour on the topping 


golden-brown after baking for 30 mins.

slather on that chocolate 


Sadly, I didn't get to take any photos of this looking pretty on a platter, but you can guess how pretty and delicious it looked!




c. Sherry M.





Eastern bearded dragon (author JJ Harrison)


(Joining in with Min from Write of the Middle blog - #WWWhimsy)

38 comments:

  1. Oh wow that sounds just fantastic! Bookmarking this recipe for later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great recipe. I will have to give this one a try. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good. I can imagine what it tastes like too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks excellent and that topping is GOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A real dragon! I'm impressed.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good! The only thing I've found when digging in my garden that's noteworthy are snakes
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great dessert even though I am not a coconut fan - could always leave out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i guess you could leave it out. Not sure what you could sub for it.

      Delete
  8. Everything in these looks delicious! A great holiday ( or anytime) treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! And I think I’m completely capable of making these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finding a dragon sounds fascinating and wonderful! The recipe sounds great except I'd leave out glacé anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i actually used nude ginger which is ginger that's not rolled in sugar or a sugar syrup. It brings a great flavour to the bars.

      Delete
  11. These look delicious Sherry and remind me of the slices my Mum used to make. I must make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These do look delicious and it does sound like the perfect time to use the processor! And I love that you had a baby bearded dragon — they are beautiful! And underground? I also had no idea. Merry Christmas! David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i was very surprised to dig her/him up. so cute.

      Delete
  13. Shortbread-like base, walnuts, coconut, chocolate, and ginger, what not to love about these bars? They sound magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shortbread-like base, walnuts, coconut, chocolate, and ginger, what not to love about these bars? They sound magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I have three slices please :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you were successful with the chocolate nut bars, despite your reservations. I couldn't bring myself to add cream to my cinnamon rolls last weekend; I was afraid of ruining them. I will try them next time.

    I had a bearded dragon for many years in my library when I was a school librarian. What a wonderful creature he was. Just like art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cream to cinnamon rolls? Interesting. I know of a recipe for bread or buns where you pour a bottle of cream over the dough before baking ... and it really worked. You had a library dragon? How marvellous.

      Delete
  17. This looks delicious Sherry! I'd be using the food processor as much as possible too. I'll keep this one in mind for next time I want to make a slice because it's got two things I adore in it - chocolate and nuts! So glad that bearded dragon was aok! Thanks for linking up with #WWWhimsy - hope you to see you again when we return on 17 Jan. Have a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for a funtastic 2024! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes 3 cheers for the food processor. Great for pastry too. Have a wonderful christmas and festive season Min.

      Delete
  18. This sounds fab, especially the ginger topping. How wonderful to find the bearded dragon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i like the ginger too. the wee dragon was so cute and so unexpected.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.