It is so simple- basically throwing unwaxed lemons into olive oil and letting it steep for about a month. I had some organic lemons from my neighbour, and some EVOO sitting in the pantry so last month I did the deed. They have been infusing quietly since then, with the occasional opening up to make sure the gases could escape. As I could only fit one lemon into each of my narrow jars, I decided to peel some of the other lemons then air-dry it for an hour and place into the jars with the whole lemons. The peel did turn a funny brown colour over the 5 weeks and the jars smelled like bananas for a while but it all seems to have turned out ok in the end. Today was the day where I finally got around to straining it and putting it into bottles. I plan to give some of it away to friends as gifts, and splash it around into lots of my dishes.
|beautiful home-grown lemons and peel|
|lemons steeping for about 5 weeks-and now ready for bottling|
|the big day- straining and bottling the now citrusy oil|