Tuesday 19 January 2016

A - Z Guidebook - Hadrian's Wall, Northumberland, U. K.

See that wall?  Yep that's me leaning on it.  (Wow, look at those insane pants.)  Mr P. and I did the backpacking thing some years ago, and ended up here one blustery English day.  We found a wall, a very long wall!  And we walked a lot along this wall, but maybe not for 80 miles:=) 

Those crazy Romans decided to build a defensive wall which was 80 Roman miles long.  I think our fave part was checking out the communal toilets.  You know the bench-like seating covering multiple holes?  Made it so easy to have a chat about your day whilst doing your business.  The Romans I mean, not us.




a somewhat younger me leaning nonchalantly on Hadrian's Wall         


Mr P. and I walked many many wet and squelchy miles all around the UK.  Ah the memories!  We stayed in the local Youth Hostel at Once Brewed, also known as Twice Brewed (yeah, what the?!?). And the next day headed down the map to the town of Beer in Devon, where we enjoyed local blackberry wine made by the publican.  I could go a glass of that right now.


Join in with Fiona from Tiffin Bite Sized Food Adventures on her monthly travel linky. This month we are delving into the letter H.



TIFFIN - bite sized food adventures -



13 comments:

  1. A great picture, those Romans have a lit to answer for ha! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love visiting parts of Hadrian's Wall. I've never heard of Beer in Devon. We spent many months there in 2010 as Anthony's Aunt lives there. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it a great name for a town? especially after having been in Once Brewed.

      Delete
  3. That brings back memories Sherry. For both of us. I like your pants by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the trousers Sherry! You brave lady, sharing your photo with the world. There's nothing like a communal toilet to hook up with friends (and probably make a few too).

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi debbie
      they were my younger days:) can you imagine? having a chat and a bowel cleansing (mm mm) at the same time!

      Delete
  5. Very cool pic at a very cool place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks emily. it is a fab place; so clever those Romans.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.