Tuesday 28 June 2016

Herman AKA Helga The German Friendship Cake Part 2

Last night on the coldest night of the year so far, we had a movie night in our carport. As we usually do for the Winter Solstice and my birthday.  Our friends who originally gave me the Herman starter were there and asked when I was going to post the cake recipe?  So here she is.  Helga as I re-named her, in all her sourdough glory.




Helga the Glorious sourdough cake  



ingredients:


one portion of the Helga starter (c. 340g.)

1 cup sugar

2 cups plain flour

1/2 tsp salt

2/3 cup flavourless oil (I used peanut oil)

2 eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

2 cooking apples cut into chunks (I used Granny Smith's)

1 cup sultanas (or raisins if you must)

2 heaped tsp of cinnamon

2 heaped tsp of baking powder

Topping:

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup melted butter


Method:

Place one portion of Helga into a large mixing bowl and stir well

Add all the above ingredients and mix together well

Pour the batter into a large, greased baking tin

Sprinkle the sugar and butter over the top of the batter

Bake for 45-60 minutes at 170C, depending on your oven - mine is slow so it took the hour to bake

I put alfoil over the top for the last 10 minutes of baking as Helga was starting to turn very brown

Let her cool in the tin for 5 minutes

Then turn her out onto a rack to cool down, or eat warm with cream and/or icecream


Tips:

Make sure Helga is done by checking her middle with a skewer, and baking for a few minutes longer if not completely cooked

I used a 22cm springform tin, but you can use a regular cake tin 




ingredients



Helga erupting out of her container   



give her a big stir  




all the ingredients go into the bowl with Helga    



stir everything well together    




pour the batter into the greased tin 



sprinkle the brown sugar over the top  



pour the melted butter over, and into the oven for 45-60 minutes at 170C   



golden and warm and ready to eat    




warm, spicy and apple-y 





my Granny Smith apple doodle 


8 comments:

  1. This makes me want to bake today Sherry! I bet you're loving this winter weather as well. Finally! Happy Birthday to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Sherry, you really are made of stern stuff. It was legitimately freezing last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The party was actually Saturday. I forgot to update that bit:). But it was still damn cold!

      Delete
  3. The nights have been so cold in Sydney recently. Two nights ago we had our coldest day and night in over 21 years. I certainly wouldn't have been up for an outdoor movie night! You are very brave. I do love the look of this German cake with all the fresh and dried fruits xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a bit of a weird treat here to get dressed up in our woollens. everyone comes with beanies and scarves and coats and huddles around the brazier. we had fun.

      Delete
  4. I love both the idea of this cake and the name Sherry! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine. It is a lovely cake. And she definitely needed a new name. :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.