Sunday 2 October 2016

In My Kitchen October 2016

What a lovely thing to be back with an IMK post.  Maureen from The Orgasmic Chef has been recovering from an operation, so has been unable to oversee IMK for a while. But now thankfully, we have Liz from BizzyLizzysGoodThings taking up the helm as of this month.  You can well imagine that I have a few new bits and bobs to show you, starting with books of course.





a few new additions to my cookbooks over the last few months  



Mr P. bought me most of them for my birthday in June, but I couldn't resist buying myself Sophie's book recently.  (See my review here.)  Alison Holst the Kiwi cook and writer has long been a fave of mine, and I have a couple of her recipe books in my library already.  Ruth Reichl needs no introduction (think New York Times + food critic=lots of disguises when reviewing); and as Nordic cooking is all the rage, I had to have that one.





lovely salts  



The Persian blue salt is the most amazing salt I have ever tasted.  It just melts away on your tongue, leaving a salty sea wash.  And it is so beautiful with that hint of blue crystals.  I am very enamoured. Then there is an old, tried and true friend - Tridosha.  It is made down in Byron Bay, where we go often as regular readers would know.  We always buy some of their salts when down in the Northern Rivers region.  This time we went along to Sample Food Festival and bought it at their gorgeous red and white Kombi van.




my home made vanilla extract  


This is my absolutely amazing home made vanilla extract.  20 luscious vanilla beans have been sitting in vodka for 6 months now. I have only just started to use it in my cooking.  Oh my!  the smell is incredible.  You can see the oil and seeds swimming around in the jar of lusciousness.  Sorry, I had to say it again.  




cute little jug I bought at Tweed Art Gallery  



I really love to support local artists so I had to buy this sweet little jug at the Gallery when I saw it.  I can't make out the artist's name very well; Si P.W. is what it says on the bottom.





more ceramics 




This is a new ceramic artist I have lately discovered.  They go by the name Magnolia Mountain, and their work is delightful.  I bought the small tumbler first, then I fell in love with Mark's work and quickly bought 2 little ramekins, then another bigger tumbler in a Lamington design.  Just so lovely to hold and look at.




here I am holding a muslin spice bag given by a friend    



Our Tassie friend came up in July and gave me some wee spice bags.  Very useful I must say.  I used one almost immediately for this chicken in orange dish I made for my History of Royal Food course.




my new domino set



Okay not exactly in my kitchen but I can't resist showing it to you. This is a dominoes set I bought after seeing it in a trendy little café in Townsville when we went up for our niece's wedding.  It is a repro of a Dutch Renaisance board.  Kind of repulsive but intriguing isn't it?




birthday gifts  




A couple of gifts from my cousin.  Love the little blue jug.  I haven't tried the coconut blossom sugar yet.  




another cookbook 



This cookbook is by an Irish blogger who writes a successful food and travel blog - Eat Like A Girl.  I love to support other bloggers and check out what they are up to.



     
the Lamington tumbler by Magnolia Mountain  


I am just madly in love with this tumbler.  Sounds weird I know, but it is so pretty and feels so good in the hand.  I have a feeling I will be buying a few more of their lovely items.

    


citrus-pressed olive oil from Victoria  


I have been buying the oils from this place for ages.  I found them online when I was searching for something about lighthouses (for which I have a bit of an obsession.)  You should check out my lounge room one day for all the lighthouse photos.:=)  I love olive oil that has been crushed with the fruit rather than infused as there is so much more flavour.     


Yes there is more but I will save that for another post.  Feel free to join in with the monthly delight that is In My Kitchen, along with other bloggers around the globe.  Posts need to be up by the 10th of the month.  Just let Liz know you want to be included.




34 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry, those ceramics are so nice... and the Lighthouse Oils sound good, too. Thank you for the very kind shout out, and for participating in IMK xx Oh, and for your kind words about my book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely to be back doing IMK Liz. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those little spice bags Sherry, so handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeed very useful Francesca. thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I'm interested in hearing more about coconut blossom sugar - so glad that Liz is hosting the IMK link up and I can track all these posts down again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it will be interesting to try out the sugar Shari. isn't it great that liz has taken over and we can catch up with other IMKers again?:)

      Delete
  5. How much better is homemade vanilla extract! The bottle will last you for a very long time too, and it gets better with age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's wonderful and so simple - just needs a lot of patience:)

      Delete
  6. Homemade vanilla is THE best. Mine is at least 4 years old, I keep adding more booze and vanilla beans as the supply depletes. We need to explore the Northern Rivers region now we're so close, looks like a foodie haven. Love the ceramics Sherry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you should definitely head down over the border :). Check out Tweed Gallery - such a great spot.

      Delete
  7. I'm in love with your dominoes set and I want one! I have coconut blossom sugar in my cupboard and I mix it with oat flour and milk powder to make the best facial scrub ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love the dominoes set. I just had to buy one. Thanks for visiting Stella

      Delete
  8. Hi Sherry, love all those jugs and ceramic tumblers... very pretty. Handy spice bags too. I make my own vanilla extract too... isn't it wonderful. I love Niamh's blog Eat Like a Girl but haven't bought her book yet. Thank you for the peek into your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she is going to write another book with bacon recipes. Magnolia mountain does make gorgeous stuff:)

      Delete
  9. Such great finds, I love salt and chilli so that salt is intriguing! Is it difficult to find?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there,
      the salt can be bought online from gewurzhaus in melbourne VIC.. not sure where you are:)

      Delete
  10. I hope Maureen is ok! You've got such a lovely collection of items this month Sherry! :D Your vanilla looks divine! I can almost smell it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Maureen is def on the mend. Yes that vanilla is almost hallucinogenic 😄

      Delete
  11. Sherry, your post was a treat for the senses -- "surround" if you will. Kitchen life is more than just cooking. You're feeding your soul. (Ours, too!) Thanks for sharing these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great peek into your kitchen! How amazing must that vanilla be! 20 pods! Mmmmmm! A wonderful collection of cookbooks, as well. Which trendy cafe in Townsville ....I've never seen such and unusual domino set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the vanilla is wonderful. The cafe is in a lane opposite the Brewery. Hoi polloi it's called - down that little lane.

      Delete
  13. I must get some more of the Persian Salt and I love your collection of books. Enjoy using your own vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many great things in your kitchen this month! I love the ceramics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic array of cookbooks you have this month Sherry, I'm a bit of a cookbook collector too. That Lighthouse oil comes from Drysdale in Victoria, not far from Geelong and about 1 1/2 hours from Melbourne. I'm yet to try but may go get some soon :) I may have to try some of that Persian Blue salt, it's such a gorgeous colour. It's so good to be back for IMK isn't it xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Nicole. Yes that Persian blue salt is just amazing. It just melts away on your tongue like magic. See you next month!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Salts and tumblers and cookbooks and more - what a grand assortment of treasures in your kitchen this month. The thought of vanilla lusciousness might prompt an experiment here, but oh! it would be challenging to wait 6 months to sample the brew.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You can use the vanilla within a couple of months but I just happened to leave it for 6! And it is glorious indeed! Worth waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sherry Wow 5 new cookbooks in one month, that is impressive. Love the jug and the tumblers. You have done well this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shelves are getting so full:). I really am enjoying my new tumblers. So pretty are they.

      Delete
  20. Hi Sherry I commented on two posts, did they come through? I always have problems with blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thanks. They have come thru. I have been having awful problems with the blog. Hoping it is fixed soon:)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.