Sunday 6 November 2016

Chicken And Lemon Bolognese

Here is where you find out how freaky I am - I don't like tomatoes! There, I've said it.  I do eat them, especially when they are disguised but I prefer tomato-free foods where possible. So this creamy pasta sauce is a beauty in my opinion.  It has chicken, it has lemon, it has cream; sounds delicious already, don't you think?

This recipe from a Cuisine NZ magazine has been lurking in my kitchen for a while now. I wanted to make something fairly simple for dinner with friends, so this was calling out to be made. Have I mentioned my horror story about going to a friend's for dinner, and being served thick spaghetti with a completely plain and completely unappetising tomato sauce?  It gives me shudders down my spine just to think of it.  Well, this recipe will not disappoint, I promise you.  This is the polar opposite of plain and unappetising.     





creamy, lemony chicken pasta sauce 







Serves 6:


ingredients:



4 tbs olive oil

2 medium onions, chopped

1 carrot, finely chopped

2 stalks of celery, finely chopped

4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped

1/2 cup parsley (or a palmful), roughly chopped

1 tbs fresh thyme or 1 dessertspoon of dried thyme

1 kg. chicken mince

200 mls of dry white wine

500 mls milk

250 mls chicken stock

zest of 3 lemons and juice of 2

500g. pasta of your choice - the original recipe says to use orecchiette, but I used Angel Hair 'cos I like it thin

200 mls cream

150g. baby spinach leaves

grated parmesan to serve



Method:



Put 3 tbs of the oil into a large saucepan over a medium-low heat

Tip the onions, carrot and celery into the heated oil and sauté for 12 minutes until soft but not brown

Add the garlic and parsley and sauté for another few minutes

Set the veg. mix aside while you grab a large frypan and add the other tbs of olive oil

Turn up the heat to medium high and cook the mince for 10 minutes till just browned

Pour in the white wine, bring to the boil and cook till the wine is mostly evaporated

Then add the milk, stock and lemon zest (not the juice)

Add the vegetable mix into the frypan too

Bring it to a low simmer and cook uncovered for about 1 hour, till most of the liquid is evaporated

Now cook up your pasta; I guess I don't need to tell you how to do that

Just before the pasta is ready, throw in the lemon juice, cream and spinach to the chicken and veg. mix

Let it heat thru for a few minutes

Serve the pasta topped with the sauce and strew as much parmesan as you like over your tasty plateful



Notes:


The original recipe says to tip the veggie mixture out of the pan and use the same pan to cook up the mince.  Great idea; less washing-up, but I felt it was just as easy to grab another pan






ingredients


I had some home-made chicken stock in the freezer, which had bits of chicken in it if you are wondering why it looks so chunky.





ingredients chopped and ready to fly







in goes the garlic






and in goes the parsley  






add the chicken mince to another pan






milk, chicken stock and lemon zest added   






simmer for an hour






add the lemon juice, cream and spinach near the end  






serve with grated parmesan   







my celery doodle



8 comments:

  1. Well I guess that's one thing that I never knew about you or never picked up on! What an interesting take on bolognese too-I'm so intrigued I may just have to try it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a delish dinner lorraine. i do love a non red sauce. very italian apparently to have a bianco rather than a rosso or is that rossi?:)

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOD! You don't eat tomatoes? That's it. I can never follow this blog again lol. Sounds like a fab combo Sherry. Yum lemony chicken...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically I eat everything Jem if it's in front of me including tomatoes. I just prefer some things to others. My mantra about food is - what has liking a food got to do with eating it? Unless it makes you vomit just eat it!!

      Delete
  3. Mr Pickings rather enjoyed this amazing dish as did our guests. Very much the opposite of tasteless - so good it was. There was so much left it made two more delicious dinners. Best leftovers ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds good Sherry, though,I do love a good tomato based sauce :) Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Glenda
      i do eat tomatoes in salads and in pasta sauces 'cos I am polite like that:) but i just prefer to have other things if possible. as i always say- liking a food has nothing to do with eating a food. i will eat just about anything if someone puts it in front of me:)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.