Monday 1 October 2018

In My Kitchen - October 2018

I'm getting started on this post early as we are going away for a few days; Again!? - as some people might say.  We are heading to Toowoomba, the city up the Range, which holds the Carnival of Flowers each Spring.  The gardens are being kept alive with bore and tank water, as we are in the midst of a bad drought out west.

Mr P. and I have been to Tasmania this month, so I have a few goodies to show you.  Tasmania has such pristine waters, and is unspoiled for much of it.  The produce is great, as are the baked goods and other delicious things to eat.  They also have a few breweries and distilleries, so you can indulge in wonderful, local brews when there.  Our friends who were in Tassie at the same time, came home with a suitcase rolling with several bottles of local gin and whiskey:=)


Here in my kitchen:




Lindt cocoa powder and hazelnut paste

We went out to the airport last month, dropping off a niece, so I thought I'd duck into the DFO to grab these.  Delicious and nutty hazelnut paste with way more nuts than the usual brand.  It actually is quite different, and takes a bit of getting used to; not so sweet, and not so moreish, but healthier perhaps?




lavender lollies

Not everyone likes their lollies tasting like Granny's drawers (get it?  get it?), but I really love these.  We visited the lavender farm at Bridestowe in northern Tasmania.  While the flowers were not blooming, and it rained gently, we still enjoyed a cup of hot chocolate overlooking the blooms to come.



delicious nuts

These are prize-winning, lightly salted Tassie nuts.  Sooo fresh and light and nothing like the ancient stuff you buy in the shops.




self-explanatory

These were ... interesting.  I wouldn't choose them again, but they were okay.  The cashews were soft in texture, so with the soft chocolate coating, they became an exercise in sucking rather than chewing.  Perhaps a toffee or brittle coating would be better?




housemade onion jam


One of our fave cafés in Hobart is Jackman & McRoss, where the bread and pastries are fabulous.  Cold climates always have better baked goods, don't you find?  This is their house-made onion jam, great on all sorts of dishes.




Tassie sea salts


I have a big collection of salts of varying flavours, so I couldn't resist adding these to it.  Can't wait to try the beetroot and radish one!




Tassie olive oil


I bought this at the Launceston Farmers' Market, which was a really fab market.  They had a lot of different produce to the kinds we get up here in Brisbane.  Well, not surprising as we are in a sub-tropical climate, whilst they are in a temperate one.




yep, it's a gravy boat


Our friends The Barrel-Makers (not their real name or occupation) decided it would be fun to buy me this at the Salamanca Market in Hobart.  Yep I think you're right; this has to be the weirdest, most crazy thing you've ever seen.  Those are seagulls believe it or not.  And yes it really is that wonky in shape.  But thanks Miss M; it's great!


Feel free to join in IMK this month everybody with your own wonky, weird stuff.  I would love to have you here.  (Linky finishes on the 13th of the month at 5pm, FYI).  


Here are the options for adding your IMK posts.  In order for me to add your posts (i.e. if you prefer that I do it), I must have your email address.  Inlinkz now demands one!  I used to be able to leave it blank, but no more.  I am happy to do this for you, but just let me know and leave your email address too.


1. Adding via the link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under Add your IMK link


2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it to the linky list below


3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process
  




   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   





                      

Sherrys Pickings

44 comments:

  1. The Lindt powdered chocolate looks very appealing, I might have to investigate these as I'm sure it would be the perfect topping for a Tiramisu or powder for a chocolate cake. I gather these are from the Lindt outlet shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeedy francesca. the cocoa powder smells so enticing. cheers S

      Delete
  2. Hi, Sherry! Hope you're having fun on your latest get-away. In my mind, there can never be too many. GO -- enjoy! For some reason (probably due to operator error) I'm having technical difficulties trying to add my post to your link-up Will "try, try again." In the meantime, what a wonderful bunch of goodies you've featured this month! I'm especially enamored of your flavored sea salts and that gravy boat is the CUTEST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for joining in IMK Kim. lovely to see you here. that gravy boat is so whacko! :) but a lot of fun. cheers S xx

      Delete
  3. Apparently things sorted themselves out since my last message. :) Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such interesting items! Yes we don't get choc coated cashews but maybe there's a reason for that. I love it when macadamias have that middle layer of toffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi lorraine
      yep not a big fan of those choc coated cashews:) cheers S x

      Delete
  5. That gravy boat is adorable. And so very you. This is perfect timing as we are heading to Tassie at the end of the year and I had already made a note about Jackman & Ross from another comment you made on FB. I'll be linking up tomorrow night. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is wonderful news fiona. it will be so wonderful to have you in IMK land. cheers sherry x

      Delete
  6. Greetings from an internet cafe in Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands in the Northwest corner of the US. Thanks for adding me to IMK, and enjoy your trip!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mae, we had a nice time checking out all the gardens with their beautiful Spring flowers. enjoy yours! cheers S x

      Delete
  7. I love that truly pink sea salt! You find the best pottery pieces, too, Sherry! Posting up later this week. Enjoy your holiday (again)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi deb
      will look forward to your post. yep i love that salt too. so pretty. cheers S x

      Delete
  8. Have a great trip Sherry. Love the gravy boat so cute. Beetroot and horseradish salt... not seen that one before. Have a great October :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Moya. isn't that gravy boat a hoot? enjoy october too. cheers S x

      Delete
  9. I lived in Toowoomba many years ago when I was a cook at a boarding school there. Always loved the Festival of flowers. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. It was a lovely festival this year in spite of the drought. Cheers sherry

      Delete
  10. You certainly have lots of yummy goodies in your kitchen. Enjoy your holiday, I'm sure it will be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi karen
      yes we had a lovely couple of days up there, enjoying the beautiful blooms. thanks S

      Delete
  11. I love the look of the Beetroot and Horseradish salt Sherry. Tassie is just a foodie's paradise isn't it? In My Kitchen is such a brilliant idea. I'll digest all of the info. and see how I go with it. Have a nice holiday up the hill. Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. would love to see you join in IMK pauline:) Yep tassie is so food-tastic! cheers S x

      Delete
  12. I am interested to read about what you think of the beetroot and radish salt. I have a beetroot salt and it makes everything pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tandy
      I haven't opened the salt yet. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks for joining us for IMK. Cheers S x

      Delete
  13. Some really great stuff in your kitchen this month! My favorite has to be the gravy boat -- funky! And very cool -- I love its whimsy. Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KR. You gotta love a wonky gravy boat! Cheers D

      Delete
  14. We're visiting Tasmania next year and you've really whetted my appetite! Not sure about the lavender drops but everything else looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne
      Honestly the lavender sweets are delicious. Have a great trip.

      Delete
  15. What great foods! We were lucky enough to visit Tasmania last year during our AU and NZ trip. We went to the Bonorong Sanctuary where I got to pet kangaroos and my first wombat named Maria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mimi
      Aren’t wombats the best? I love the way they lumber around. Big claws tho:)

      Delete
  16. That gravy boat looks like great fun. I imagine you could not bring it out without telling stories. I am a fan of jackman and mcross from visiting hobart many years ago so would love to try their caramelised onions. I really love the sound of those salts (the beetroot one is so beautiful) and am curious about the chocolate cashews and lindt choc hazelnut butter. Enjoy your travels this month. I have linked to my IMK post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna
      Always nice to have you here at IMK. Everyone seems to like that crazy gravy boat. It’s a winner :). I think the salts will be fab. Cheers sherry

      Delete
  17. Beetroot and horseradish sea salt and the lavender drops have my attention, and I absolutely adore the gravy boat. I don't have much to share this month, but I still Hope to join in IMK this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi shaheen
      Thanks for dropping by. Would love to see your post here. Any kitchen news is welcome:). Cheers Sherry x

      Delete
  18. I love that gravy boat so much! How fun! Thanks for the hot tip on the Lindt choc hazelnut spread - I will have to go pick some up for the Nutella lovers in my house. As always, thanks for hosting the linkup! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen
      Great to see you here. I’ll have a go at commenting on your post. Cheers sherry.

      Delete
  19. You have some great items from Tasmania! Those hazelnuts and sea salts look great, and gotta love that gravy boat! Have a nice trip again!

    I have also added my link for October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi veg hog
      How’s things? Thanks for joining in. Lovely to have you. Cheers sherry

      Delete
  20. I love caramelized onion jam on grilled sandwiches made with good sharp cheddar, yum! Those salts sound interesting, how would you use the beet salt? Looking forward to hearing the recipe. Tasmania is on my list to visit, it sounds like a foodie paradise. Have a wonderful holiday and thank you for hosting In My Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much liz. I’m not sure about the salt. Will probably sprinkle it on salads etc. yep tassie is such a foodie’s paradise. Just perfect Cheers sherry

      Delete
  21. Enjoy Toowoomba! I much prefer the Lindt spread since as you say not as sweet and I like the much stronger nut flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI NA
      how are you? yep toowoomba was great as ever. that lindt spread is very different and takes a bit of getting used to. it's funny how you become so used to the amount of sugar in a product. cheers sherry

      Delete
  22. Good morning. I linked up but didn't have time to comment as we evacuated from a hurricane. Love the items you picked up at the airport. The hazelnut spread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi tina
      hope all is well after the hurricane! sounds scary. thanks for linking up. yep that lindt spread is delicious - not too sweet either. cheers S

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.