Thursday 22 December 2022

Mushroom Roll-Ups AKA Rolled Mushroom Canapés

Here's another tasty dish that gets baked rather than fried.  I love that!  This is from The Artists' and Writers' Cookbook: A Collection of Stories with Recipes.  It's vegetarian though not vegan, and is a butter-lover's delight.  I think my arteries groaned (but my tastebuds sang) when we ate this for dinner.

This is a recipe from Patricia Marx, who is/was? a staff writer for the New Yorker.  She says her parents (mum, I bet) used to make these for parties as canapés, each roll-up sliced into three.  Mine turned out quite small enough so I just left them whole.  Dunno what the ooze is on top in the photo - just the mushroom-y filling I guess.

Soft, white bread brings to mind sneaking out to the kitchen late at night when I was a child/teen, grabbing a couple of slices, buttering them liberally on both!! sides to then slap them into the toaster (the one with hinged doors, not pop-up), and toasting them till the butter ran into the bread.  Risking a fire in the kitchen as the butter dripped into the hot, orange filaments.  Pulling them out and burning your fingers ...  Greasy, buttery, salty, delicious ...



baked and ready to eat


Serves 3-4 as dinner with a side; several more as canapés

ingredients: 

Filling: 

225g./8 oz mushrooms (you choose the sort; I used cup mushies), finely chopped

1/4 cup chives and spring onions, chopped - see Notes

a happy handful of parsley, finely chopped

Black pepper, half a dozen grinds maybe?

a biiiig pinch of sea salt flakes

1 tsp gochugaru or chilli powder of your choice (optional)

3 Tbs butter

************

10 slices of soft white bread (not something I ever eat normally)

Butter at room temp. - how much?  I can't really say; just slather it on to your liking

Sour cream - also hard to say how much!?  see Notes

1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, tho' you can use more of course :=)

Extra chopped parsley for strewing over the roll-ups


Method:

Trim the crusts off your bread, and flatten them with a rolling pin till reaaaallly thin (till you worry about them, says Patricia)

Then slather each piece of bread with butter on one side, and then spread sour cream lightly (or heavily as you please) over the butter

Make the filling by placing the ingredients into a frypan/skillet and gently sautéing for about five or so minutes till cooked down and tender

Spoon a tablespoonful of this mixture onto each of the flattened bread slices

Spread it out a bit, then roll the bread up like a happy little cigar; keep going till all the slices are rolled up (or like a poster of the Last Supper, says Patricia)

Place them on a lined baking tray, seam side down; dollop on some butter, and sprinkle over the cheese and parsley

Bake for 30-35 minutes at 190C/375F till golden and crispy

Serve with salad and relish of your choice


Notes:

I used light sour cream; say around 100 mL (maybe 120 mL) 3.4 - 4 oz

I may have used more than 1/4 cup of the herby things!  Looks like I used half a punnet of chives and 3 of the spring onions



gather your ingredients

cut off your crusts!

into the frypan/skillet for sautéing

cook down your filling for a few minutes till tender

slather on the butter and sour cream and spoon on the filling

roll 'em up, place on the paper-lined tray, dollop on butter, and throw on the Parmesan

baked till crispy and golden

oozy, buttery and mushroom-y!




Sherry M.


26 comments:

  1. They indeed would make a great appetizer! And I do LOVE lots of Parmesan :-)) I just bought 2 wedges of 30-month Parmesan...so good. Have been looking for some 60-month, but can't find them in the regular stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes parmesan is champion! Wow 30 month parmesan! Must taste wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! These just became part of our Christmas brunch menu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these would be great in some phyllo pastry. I don't think I would risk the mess of buttering bread before toasting it.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi tandy. mm yes i guess phyllo would be okay ... but not necessary I think.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely love your 'little-bit-of-this-and-a-little -bit-of-thar' recipe . . . written like a very experienced cook :) ! Love mushrooms also and would like serving these tidbits any suitable time . . . but feel a little the way Tandy does . . . oven is fine, perchance phyllo would be more my cuppa also ? Shall try anyways . . . do enjoy the season . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mm i think phyllo might be overdoing it. honestly the bread works wonderfully well!

      Delete
  5. Mr P here - these were super delicious, and it was a hard duty to have to be the taste tester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Artist and Writers Cookbook is neat -- there was an earlier one in 1961 that's pretty rare now. Both of them are pretty amusing. And it looks as if you found a good recipe -- but you can never have too many mushrooms!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my arteries would groan too. And white bread (like yourself) isn't something we normally have in the house. But hey-ho it's Christmas isn't it? Ha ha! I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year down there Sherry. I know my Australian cousins are already in Phillip Island getting the BBQ ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. merry christmas to you Neil. hope you had a fun day.

      Delete
  8. I love the memories you have about buttered white bread. Reading that made me want to sneak off to the kitchen right now for buttered bread - tis the season!! This sounds like a fun recipe, and I particularly appreciate the Sully plate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i don't eat white bread anymore so yep just memories ... Love the Sully plate too!

      Delete
  9. Wow, looks delicious! Hope you're enjoying this holiday season and looking forward to the new year, dear Sherry.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you have taken a plebian recipe and turned it into something fantastic! I used to make these in my catering days - the hardest part was convincing myself to buy the crappy bread! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. Yes soft white bread is not a usual something in my kitchen. Cheers. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  11. This looks like something right up my alley! Love mushrooms. Perfect finger food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever recipe, I have lots of mushrooms on hand so this would make an easy dinner for us with some salad perhaps. I eat white bread with added fibre these days, who would have ever thought there would be such a thing. This looks delicious, thanks Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i think it would be good with salad to cut the richness :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.