Friday 16 February 2024

Roast Capsicum Dip - And A Tasty Snack

Sadly, the Cookbook Club I've been attending at our local bookshop has ceased, so this was my final recipe from the monthly choice in November - Garlic, Olive Oil and everything else by Daen Lia.  She has millions of followers on social media apparently (but I have to admit that I've never heard of her!).  She is an Aussie cook with Spanish and Italian heritage, known for her modern Mediterranean dishes (but not by me - hehehe).

Her recipe includes instructions on how to roast the capsicums yourself, but I happily went out and bought a couple of jars.  You can check out how to roast them on the Net, if you're keen.  Daen basically says to roast them on a lined tray at 220C/430F for an hour.  You can also buy them from your local deli. 

We live in what was an Italian migrant enclave for many years after the Second World War.  So happily for us when we moved here, there were Italian delis and bakeries and cafés.  One of the local shops still had their Italian mamas and nonnas roasting the vegetables and chickens, and making all sorts of goodies.  Sadly, that generation has passed on, so there are few such shops around these days.  So make your own, my friends, or grab a jar or two from the supermarket.


off to Cookbook Club


Serves half a dozen (maybe more):

ingredients:

2 jars of roasted capsicum (c. 300g./10 oz each) = c. 600g./20 oz

200g./7 oz fetta, cut into large chunks

1-2 garlic cloves, sliced in half

sea salt and black pepper, to taste

20-25 mL/1 biiig Tbs of lemon juice

herbs of your choice - I used dried chives, parsley and oregano

1 Tbs EV olive oil 

1/2 tsp sugar (optional)

handful of walnuts - maybe 30g./1 big ounce

1 tsp sumac (optional)

For serving:

a long ciabatta stick or French baguette, cut into slices

100g./3.5 oz prosciutto, cut or torn into chunks or strips

100g./3.5 oz green, pitted olives - sliced 


Method:

First drain the capsicums and pat them dry

Into the oven they go, on a baking-paper lined tray for 10-12 minutes at 160C/320F

Let them cool for a few minutes, then throw them into your food processor, along with the fetta, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice

Give them a blitz till nicely combined, then add the herbs, olive oil, sugar and walnuts and blitz again till you have a vibrant, mostly smooth, not-quite-blitzed to death dip

Spoon out into a serving bowl, and throw on the sumac if using

You can eat this as is, with crackers or bread, or turn it into tasty bites by smearing over the slices of ciabatta or baguette, then topping with the prosciutto and sliced olives  


Notes:

You can serve the dip with crudités if you like



grab yourself some roasted capsicums in a jar

and blitz 'em!

into this

taste 10/looks 3

slice up the bread

slather on the dip, and add prosciutto and olives

boxed up for Cookbook Club


(Joining up with Min from Write of the Middle for #WWWhimsy - Wednesday Words and Whimsy)



c. Sherry M.

38 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds delicious!! Sorry about the book club though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lori. Happily there is still regular bookclub and the online cookbook club!

      Delete
  2. I made a very similar recipe (no cheese, tho) recently, but it turned out very soupy, not like a dip or spread. I put it in a jar thinking I could at least turn it into soup (those jars of red peppers are way too pricy to toss!) The next day — after the party — the spread had jelled just beautifully. Joke on me. I should have made it a day or so in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I thought the fetta was an interesting addition and of course it helped to thicken it up. That's also interesting that your dip thickened up the next day.

      Delete
  3. This looks and sounds delicious.
    I looked for Daen Lia on Youtube. I will probably watch a couple of her videos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Anne. I know nothing of Daen Lia except for having her book; I must check her out myself!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I buy jarred peppers, sometimes I roast them myself. My method is similar to hers, but lower temperature (180°C/350°F). Less charring at those temps.

    The spread sounds delightful — a perfect app! Thanks, Sherry — David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Yes I do occasionally roast them myself for soup, relish etc... This dip is very useful I think for all sorts of things!

      Delete
  5. I don't have a problem buying already roasted peppers in jars. The ones I get are a high quality product. Love this spread. I could probably sit with a bowl and spoon and be extremely happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mimi. So much easier and quicker and they taste good anyway.

      Delete
  6. Sorry about the closing of book club. The dip looks great and prosciutto for the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Angie. Online cookbook club still going strong happily. We don't eat any sort of pig usually but for this one, it went well...

      Delete
  7. Not an average sandwich! Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marie. We enjoyed it.

      Delete
  8. This sounds and looks delicious. How sad the book club is no longer.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tandy. No worries - online cookbook club still going strong as is regular bookclub!

      Delete
  9. I do like the promised taste and healthy ingredients of this and the recipe has already flown from library to kitchen! (Well, four metres across the dining room!) For me this on a small wrap would be a lovely breakfast! Oh, and you do know to whom I am subscribed now for a tryout, don't you? Might be interesting!! Am sorry your book club has wound up . . . methinks you enjoyed . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great Eha. Hope you enjoy it and enjoy Daen's recipes.

      Delete
  10. What a shame about your book club! This dip looks delicious though - looks so easy even I could make it! I was in London this week and when you said about all the Italian nonnas it reminded me of a cafe I saw - that was Scottish-Italian run by a husband and wife team. I didn't go in but I thought that must be a fun combo for a cafe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happily the online cookbook club is still going strong and regular bookclub at the bookshop too. Do you know that american food blogger Christina who is scottish italian? and lives in the U.S.

      Delete
  11. This sounds fabulous. I can envision it on Rick's baguettes! The feta would add a wonderful depth of flavor. The cook bok club sounds like it was fun -- I'm so sorry it is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jeanie. At least we still have regular bookclub and the online cookbook club!

      Delete
  12. I'm going to make it, it looks delicious ☻

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious.. minus the prosciutto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we don't normally eat any form of pig, but this recipe called for it so ...

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful dip - peppers and feta do make an exceptional flavour combination! And served with bread and prosciutto, that's divine

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful dip - peppers and feta do make an exceptional flavour combination! And served with bread and prosciutto, that's divine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - this recipe sounds delicious, Sherry! It's right up my alley for sure. Back when we lived in New York (state...not the city), there were a bunch of old-school Italian markets and delis. I loved that part of the area! We don't have those around us now, but fortunately most ingredients are still available. Either way, I need to try this ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. Yes it's sad that nearly all the old Italian delis have gone from our area but we can still buy the ingredients happily.

      Delete
  17. Sherry, this is a good reminder post about the versatility of roasted peppers. So, many goo things to be made. There is nothing like a good ethnic market in a local neighborhood. Lots of great Italian markets in the northeast part of the U.S..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I really enjoy roasted capsicums - so handy!

      Delete
  18. It's sad to hear that your Cookbook Club has come to an end, but what a delicious final recipe to share! Roast capsicum dip with a Mediterranean flair sounds like a perfect addition to any gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This red pepper spread looks so tasty! And I love that you used it with prosciutto and olives on bruschetta. Yum! David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. It was a tasty treat.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.