Friday 23 February 2024

Sour Cherry Sorbet With Peppercorn Syrup

Love a tangy, savoury-sweet dessert?  Me too!  This recipe is from Delicious magazine.  Matt Preston, former Masterchef judge, cookbook writer, food critic and cook has whipped up this sweet treat for us.  And then there's that surprise of the peppercorn syrup to go with.  This sorbet and syrup are actually accompaniments for his gingerbread pavlova recipe, which I didn't make.  

I have fond childhood memories of Mum making them though.  She had one of those (retro now) Sunbeam Mixmasters, which last forever.  It whizzed up those egg whites like a charm!  The closest I get to making a pav is a quick roulade.

Now for the hilarious bit of this recipe: I usually make a recipe, and take notes and photos as I go.  And I make sure I have a copy of the original recipe (which I usually adapt a bit).  I made this (very) late last year, and to my dismay hadn't kept a copy of the recipe.  I'd given the magazine away to a friend already.  So I asked her if she still had it?  Nope, she'd given it to her niece, but she would ask her for me.  Said-niece was giving the baby dinner so I had to wait till she could answer.  Nope, no longer with the niece. 

I checked through my photos, and notes, and the Delicious mag. website.  Sure, they had the recipe but only full instructions for the pav bit!  So then I asked on the Facebook page Chat 10 Looks 3, and yes a kind Chatter (as we/they are known) put up a photo of the recipe for me.  Phew!!  So now it's the next morning ... !  18 hours later, as they say on YouTube :=)


whizz away till smooth 


Start this recipe very early in the day, and the day before you need it!!

Serves 6 (or so):

ingredients:

1 x 680g./24 oz jar of sour/Morello cherries in syrup, drained - liquid reserved for the peppercorn syrup

2 tsp caster sugar (use more if you like it sweeter)

1-2 Tbs lemon juice

1 Tbs cherry liqueur (optional - my idea)

1 large egg white    see Notes

2 Tbs whole black peppercorns


Method:

Get up early and prepare the cherries (tee hee) by draining them, (don't lose the syrup!), placing them in a large freezer bag, and laying them down flat in your freezer for 4 hours or till firm

Now tip them into your food processor (yes, you do need one for this), along with the sugar and lemon juice (and cherry liqueur), and whizz till kinda looking like snow (that's what Matt says)

Add the egg white and blitz a bit more (scrape the bowl down once or twice) till looking smooth and beautiful and very pink

Spoon it into a container with a lid, and freeze overnight

Meanwhile make the syrup by pouring the reserved cherry liquid into a medium saucepan, and throwing in the peppercorns

Bring to the boil over a medium-high heat, and let it do its thing for 10 minutes or so, till you have reduced it till thick and syrupy (and about half a cup)

Let it cool, then pour into a small jug or bottle and leave overnight in the fridge, so the sorbet doesn't feel lonely

So the next day, you will strain the syrup and pour over scoops of the bright and beautiful sorbet


Notes:

Matt says you can use 60 mL/2 big oz of aquafaba (bean water from a tin) instead of the egg whites but I feel a bit conflicted about that.  We were always told to drain and rinse tinned beans or chickpeas very well to get rid of this exact same liquid!  So what the??!


I added a few strawberries I had lurking in the fridge

and blitzed 'em!

into the freezer overnight it goes

syrup and peppercorns bubbling away for 10 minutes or so

and look at how little is left :=)  And so many peppercorns!

straining it the next day before eating with the sorbet

sweet and somewhat savoury syrup!

I forgot to take a photo of the finished dessert!  It was delicious.


(Joining in with the blogs Write of the Middle and Deb's World for #WWWhimsy)

c. Sherry M.

c. Sherry M.

46 comments:

  1. What an intriguing and delicious sounding dessert! I must try that peppercorn syrup :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And funnily enough, I made another recipe not long after this that also included a sour cherry/peppercorn syrup!

      Delete
  2. This sounds really refreshing and different. I think TheHub will like this one a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must be delicious! I haven’t tried the black pepper sweets as of yet.

    My mother had one of those Sunbeam mixers too, which she bought (or maybe received as a gift) when I was around 12 years old, so I used it for years — I inherited it so it was the first one I had in my own kitchen. Now I have a huge Kitchen Aid, which is mainly used for kneading bread.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember years ago going to the Gas Cooking School nights and having black pepper ice cream. I thought it was amazing!

      Delete
  4. It's amazing you were able to trace the whereabouts (or not) of the magazine! You gave it your best shot!! This recipe has very unusual and interesting flavors. Looks pretty! I'm with you on the aquafaba from the tin. I do use it , but I make my own beans and thus my own aquafaba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it was quite the adventure to locate the recipe! I've always thought it odd about the aquafaba thing!

      Delete
  5. What an interesting dessert! The sauce sounds wonderful. I saw something on TV last weekend about old appliances and one woman still has a Sunbeam mixer that works perfectly that was her grandmothers. They don't make things that well anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lori. Yes those old appliances kept on and on forever... My food processor is nearly 36 years old and still going strong!

      Delete
  6. Sherry, sour cherries are one of my favorite foods. I especially like sour cherry jam. I have a recipe on my blog for that. Unfortunately , they do not grow where I live here in California. I love the syrup you made. Stay well Gerlinde de Broekert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerlinde. Yes i like them too. And yes to the jam. CHeers S

      Delete
  7. The peppercorns are an interesting addition! It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marie. I like a bit of savoury in my sweet :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. yes it's great. Just that little bit different.

      Delete
  9. I think I would have used pink peppercorns for the syrup. But is sounds good enough to try as is. I've lost a recipe for an ice cream I made! Very frustrating.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting you say that about pink peppercorns as that is exactly what Matt's recipe calls for as decoration on top of the whole pavlova!

      Delete
  10. I don't quite get the snow reference but boy -- that looks really wonderful. I like tart and I love sorbet. Now all I need is the food processor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes not sure what snow would look like here:) You could always use a blender or even a stick blender for this!

      Delete
  11. Interesting! Since desserts and I do not exist oft in the same room together I did not think this was for me. But I quite like Morello cherries and you made me curious - guess what will be on the next shopping list . . . :) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is an interesting dessert and not too sweet.

      Delete
  12. I love a dessert with a bit of bite - looks delicious lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks my dearie. I like a dessert that is not too sweet and has some spice and tang.

      Delete
  13. Ooh yum. Never thought to make a peppercorn syrup. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hena. It is a great syrup.

      Delete
  14. I really like the sound of that syrup. Pepper works so well with fruit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the syrup is good. I made another version too which has even more spices - so good. And Tandy suggests pink peppercorns which is genius.

      Delete
  15. Well that certainly is a unique dessert! I'm not sure I've ever come across a Peppercorn Syrup before. I can see how it would work together though! And I hear ya on the Mixmasters. The older appliances were workhorses...nothing like the ones today that use plastic gears and die within a couple of years at best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait for my next peppercorn syrup recipe down the track :) Yep those old machines were made so well!

      Delete
  16. I had to have a little chuckle at the recipe story - I am always doing stuff like that. I love Matt's recipes, I have one of his cookbooks (or has he only one? I dunno...) Anyway this looks great, I love everything cherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually so careful! I think Matt has written a few cookbooks and memoirs too. Yay for cherry!

      Delete
  17. What a fun dessert - and this is definitely the longest cooking time for a sorbet recipe I've seen lol And this peppercorn syrup? Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what an adventure to retrieve the recipe! It's amazing how the cooking community can come together to help out. Your perseverance paid off, and the sour cherry sorbet with peppercorn syrup sounds like a delightful treat.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a delightful, dessert! I know I will find so many uses for the peppercorn syrup. Have you used it on anything savory? David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi David
      no I haven't tried it on savoury items. Could be interesting, tho it is very sweet.

      Delete
  20. A delicious sorbet is just what is needed in our Summer heat. I inherited my Mums old Sunbeam mix master, which soldiered on for a few years. But they start to leak oil etc which is a worry, so I now have a KitchenAid. It should see me out hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely:) I don't know what mum did with her old mixmaster; maybe stepmum got rid of it like she did with a lot of family things. I would like to get a Sunbeam or another brand one day.

      Delete
  21. Hi Sherry, I'd definitely make this ... In fact, I think I have a bottle of cherries in the pantry I didn't use at Christmas ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this sorbet works well with most fruits!

      Delete
  22. So glad I spotted this title and came looking. Hm.. have some home grown sour cherries (not in a syrup) that might be interesting to use in this. I'd do it in summer and do the whole Pavlov thing for our dessert club night. Bernie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. home grown sour cherries? How marvellous!

      Delete
  23. Yes Sherry, Chatters are renowned for their kindness and well done on asking for help - if anyone could help it's the Chatters and they came through! It certainly sounds like a great recipe for summer. Thanks for joining us for Min's #wwwhimsy linkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the Chatters definitely were a fab resource! Very kind as they always are.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.