Saturday 9 March 2024

Mandarin Syrup And Blackberry No-Churn Ice Cream

A bit more about the online cookbook club I am part of - we have a monthly book, and a book that we can dip into for the entire calendar year.  This year's book is The Food Saver's A-Z, which provides an alphabetical look at various items you may have lurking in your fridge and pantry that desperately need using up, pronto!

Ironically, I didn't have any mandarins just hanging to make this syrup, so I bought a bottle of 100% mandarin juice.  This is very easy to make, and is very delicious.  Mr P. was a big fan (he loves my citrus cordials), and has been drinking it on the regular.  


ready to add to sparkling water, etc

And speaking of spiders (see above) ... I can only speak about Aussie ones of course, but they like to jump on and at you!  And they are big, my friends.  One day we were downstairs in Mr P.'s office, and we heard a loud tapping noise.  We headed into the kitchenette, only to discover a very large Huntsman running across the bench (in tap shoes, it seemed).  

And did I ever tell you about getting up one morning, and after a bit thinking - 'Gee, I need a haircut', brushing my ear and finding a massive spider falling on my shoulder?!!  Who knows how long it had been sitting on top of my head!  They are hairy beasts, let me tell you :=)  But let's get to the recipe.   


Makes 1 smallish bottle (c.150 mL):

ingredients:

the syrup:

250 mL (1 cup) pure mandarin juice

110g./4 oz caster or white sugar

a few slices of fresh ginger, 1 cinnamon quill (stick) and 2 cloves (optional)


My version of a fruity 'instant' ice cream:

The ice cream:

500g./18 oz frozen blackberries (or your fave fruit), mostly thawed

170g./6 oz condensed milk

2-3 Tbs spiced rum (or your fave tipple)

1-2 tsp vanilla paste or extract

250g./9 oz mascarpone


Method:

The syrup:

Heat the juice and sugar together (in a small saucepan) on a low temp., till sugar is dissolved

Add the spices now if using, and simmer for 10 or so minutes till a wee bit thickened   see Notes

Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to cool, then pour into a very clean bottle, and allow to cool completely

And into the fridge it goes, for up to 2 months

Serve with sparkling water or wine, or with this fruity ice cream

The ice cream:

Into your food processor go the fruit, condensed milk, rum and vanilla

Give 'em a few pulses till mixed but not necessarily smooth (I like some lumpy pieces of fruit), then add the mascarpone and give it a very quick blitz 

Pour/spoon into a freezer-proof container, and whack into the freezer for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight   see Notes

The next day, spoon into a dessert bowl, and pour some of that delicious, citrus-y syrup over the top


Notes:

You can thaw the fruit completely, then mix everything together in a large bowl if you prefer your ice cream a bit chunkier

I forgot to do it, but I normally line the tin with freezer film, leaving an overhang which you can fold over the top of the ice cream mixture to keep it protected while it freezes

I doubled this recipe (but not the cloves) and ended up with 300 mL of syrup

It took about 30 minutes to reduce down when I made the doubled recipe


ingredients gathered

dissolve the sugar, and simmer for 10 mins.

till it thickens slightly

bottle your syrup when cool

stir the mascarpone thru the fruity mixture

and pour into your freezer-proof container

pour on the syrup



c. Sherry M.


30 comments:

  1. That looks really good, Sherry. And I love the idea of that cookbook -- we all have those things that got stuck too far back in the fridge -- still good but they don't go with anything else -- or so we think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Jeanie
      yes it's a really useful book!

      Delete
  2. That looks absolutely delicious, Sherry. And I love the no-churn aspect. SOo much easier! I think I could enjoy a cookbook club -- how many are in your group?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you David. I was in an IRL cookbook club which has now ceased. We had about half a dozen in it. I am still part of an online virtual club which has many people in it!

      Delete
  3. The juice looks yummy. I bet it is full of flavor.

    We have a woman in our naturalist group who is crazy about spiders. She lives and breathes them. I know she would give anything to see an Australian spider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is very welcome to them :=)

      Delete
  4. That looks fruity and yummy! I love that you have made everything from the scrape. An awesome summer time treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Angie. It was tangy and refreshing. I love making syrups and cordials - and ice cream!

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of this. And what a great tip to line the freezer tin.
    Tandy | Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it makes it easy to take the ice cream out, with a lined tin. If only I had remembered :=) but it was okay anyway.

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious Sherry though my toes are still curled from hearing about the spiders - they're massive here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My toes still curl at the memory of it on my head!:)

      Delete
  7. This mandarin-blackberry syrup looks and sounds amazing!! Gorgeous recipe. Watch out for those spiders, Sherry! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marcelle. Yep always watching out for spiders :=)

      Delete
  8. Oh yum. Such a unique flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Australians must be so used to big spiders! That would freak me the hell out! Anyway, this ice cream might make me get over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One time I brought up some potting soil in a huge bag, opened it up and a massive Huntsman jumped onto my skirt. I was out of it faster than you could blink!

      Delete
  10. This mandarin syrup sounds wonderful (great colour, too!) and the ice cream is delicious - I particularly love the use of mascarpone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ben. Yes the mascarpone gives it a lovely rich flavour.

      Delete
  11. This mandarin syrup sounds wonderful (great colour, too!) and the ice cream is delicious - I particularly love the use of mascarpone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bright citrus flavors here sound fantastic, Sherry! You had me at blackberry ice cream, but the mandarin syrup on top takes it to a whole new level. And I don't mind spiders too much...unless they are the large, tap shoe wearing kind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. I think if you saw some of our spiders here, you might not be so sanguine about them - heheheh ...

      Delete
  13. Love the no churn ice cream - will have to revisit that when (or should I say if) it gets warmer! The mandarin syrup sounds delish too - I bet it would be so good with some sparkling water. As for the spiders, the story about the one on your head gave me the heebies! I'm counting myself lucky that I never saw a huntsman in the whole 14 years I lived in Australia! If I did, I would have likely spontaneously combusted from the sheer anxiety of it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the spider story still gives me the shivers when i think about it! I can't believe you never saw one Sammie. Wow, that's amazing!

      Delete
  14. Wow, your No-Churn Ice Cream recipe sounds absolutely delightful. Can't wait to give this recipe a try and enjoy a taste of summer eventhough its getting cold here from downunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Raymund. Still warm and humid here in sunny Brisbane :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.