Sunday 16 June 2024

Roasted Onions With Blue Cheese And Walnuts

I love onions! Give 'em to me roasted, sautéed, fried or turned into beautifully battered rings!  Any way you please.  I am a huge fan of the allium family in all its guises, really.  I just don't get to cook with leeks as Mr P. doesn't eat them.  Even though it took about 30 years before he told me this!  Always something new to learn about a spouse, I guess.  

Speaking of onions, when our French nephew was small, we bought a children's book about onions (yes, onions!) to read to him on his visits here.  Ever since, Mr P. and I have quoted lines from it to each other, the most enduring being: "Où sont mes oignons?"  Yes, Jean-Claude the French onion seller from Dieppe had lost his onions!  He takes the ferry across the English Channel to sell them but somehow they vanish.  Only to be found again when the English cat Quizz was found to be sleeping on a bed of onions!  Pourquoi?  Who knows, my friends? :=)      

This recipe is from Danielle Alvarez's Recipes for a lifetime of Beautiful Cooking.  She is a Sydney-based chef and cookbook author (co-author of this book is Libby Travers).  She uses blue cheese and walnuts here, but as Mr P. does not like blue cheese (he says it tastes like ants!) I used fetta in its place (and pecans 'cos I had them in the pantry). 


good enough to eat :=)

Serves 4:

ingredients:

4 small red onions

2 Tbs EV olive oil

1 Tbs honey

1 Tbs white or red wine vinegar

60g/2.25 oz. blue cheese (or fetta!)    see Notes

80 mL/2.7 oz. single (pure) cream

sea salt flakes


For the garnish:

freshly-ground black pepper, amount of your choosing

40g./1.4 oz. walnuts or pecans, toasted and roughly chopped

1 Tbs chives, chopped (or use your fave herb)


Method:

On goes your oven to 180C/350F to heat up

Slice your onions in half from root to tip, and peel 'em

Line the baking tray with baking paper, then coat the paper with the EV olive oil

Place the onion halves cut-side down onto the lined tray

Weigh them down with another baking tray, and bake for 30 minutes

Then take out the tray, flip the onions over, and bake again (sans the other tray) for 20 minutes

When finished baking, leave them to cool for a few minutes

Cut off the root ends, and separate the onion layers

Now drizzle with the honey and the vinegar, sprinkle on the salt, and back into the oven for 8-10 minutes till beautifully browned

Then take the tray out of the oven, whack up the heat to 210C/410F

The blue cheese or fetta gets crumbled over the onions, and then you are going to pour over the cream

And back into the oven for 7 minutes, then to be finished off with a fabulous amount of ground black pepper

Sprinkle with the chopped nuts and chives, and eat!

(I served these with bought-in chicken skewers)


Notes:

I used a delicious marinated Greek fetta in this dish!  Tho' you could use any type of fetta you fancy

Danielle suggests frying the onions first in an oven-proof pan, then putting the whole pan into the oven, so feel free ...

 

ingredients gathered

halved, peeled and ready to bake at 180C

glistening and glorious

on go the cheese and cream

throw on the chives and nuts

succulent :=) and served with chicken skewers



c. Sherry M.


oh yes indeed! Where are my onions? :)


43 comments:

  1. Your variation of the onion recipe sounds great. Karen (Back Road Journal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am an onion lover and this sounds like a delicious side for so many things. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lori. They would go well with many dishes I think!

      Delete
  3. We eat onions every day in some form. This looks yummy! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an onion too, especially roasted and caramelized. Your recipe sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe - glad to hear you are an onion Balvinder! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. We too adore onions (and garlic!) :-) This sounds and looks incredibly delicious, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Angie. Yep onions and garlic are big in this house :)

      Delete
  6. Dave does not eat onions unless they are teeny tiny, well cooked, and in a casserole! He loves leeks though.
    Tandy | Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipe looks delicious. Onions have such a variety of metaphoric meanings in both English and French -- good to eat and good to think.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mae. Metaphoric onions? I did not know that :=) Do we say 'mind your onions?' or am I imagining that?

      Delete
    2. We do love roasted or caramelized onions - they are always such a delicious addition to almost any dish. And here with blue cheese and walnuts, you've elevated the idea to a totally new level making the onions a fancy side, appetizer or even topping for bruschetta. Wonderful!

      Delete
    3. We do love roasted or caramelized onions - they are always such a delicious addition to almost any dish. And here with blue cheese and walnuts, you've elevated the idea to a totally new level making the onions a fancy side, appetizer or even topping for bruschetta. Wonderful!

      Delete
    4. Oh dear Ben, do I detect the dreaded AI in your comment? :)

      Delete
    5. Sorry Ben. It's up to you I guess ...

      Delete
  8. Mmmmm those do look good! And you’re right! Married 42 years and my husband just told me he loves blue cheese! I never knew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi. Surprising, these husbands aren't they? :=)

      Delete
  9. This looks amazing! We love onions in this household. I am saving this one until I can get to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A question just occurred to me...how does Mr. P know what ants taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love toasted onions and with the blue cheese and walnuts? Yum! Sorry Mr. P doesn’t like blue cheese. (Why was he eating ants anyway?) I bet these were fantastic with the feta and pecans. David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is a winner for dinner David :) Good question - why IS he familiar with ants?

      Delete
  12. Oh yum! I've never made onions like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow- looks delicious! What doesn't taste good with blue cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks amazing! I confess to being a blue-cheese hater all my life. But when I finally tried it again a couple of years ago, I realized I probably would like it, but by now my dislike was too entrenched! I do love all feta, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really eat cheese anymore but i did love blue cheese!

      Delete
  15. Blue cheese tastes like ants is one of the most interesting things I've heard today! :D Mr P is an interesting guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe ... yep for sure an interesting guy!

      Delete
  16. Gosh this looks good and is right up my Eat Street! I have a friend who doesn't like/eat onions and I can't help but feel sad for them and all the yum they are missing out on. I think I'll have to add red onions to my shopping list and give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine missing out on onions! What a shame!

      Delete
  17. This looks absolutely to die for. I love cooked onions and blue cheese. Anything else is bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie. Onions are the bomb!

      Delete
  18. Your roasted onions with feta and pecans sound absolutely delightful! I'm totally with you on the versatility of onions, I mean, who knew they could be so entertaining, even in children's books? It's always fun discovering new twists on recipes to suit everyone's tastes, like swapping blue cheese for feta because, let's face it, not everyone appreciates blue cheese but personally I love them.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.