I have close to a kilo of fruit this year, so I am really praying they turn out well.
|you can just see a few fruit up there:)|
|getting ready to gather the harvest|
|friend Andrew getting the high ones for me|
|making small slashes in each one|
|ready to salt them|
|about to (as)sault my olives|
|making up the brine|
|stirring the salt and water together to make brine|
|pouring in the brine|
|ready to sit for the next 2 weeks or so to mature|
Ok, so what I ended up doing was adding a mix in a ratio of about 1 tbs of salt to 1 cup of water till I had enough brine to cover the olives. This jar holds about a kilo, and I added just over 3 cups of brine to it, till all the fruit was covered. I had around 850g. of olives after sorting them. And yes I used a mix of green and ripe olives. This is what I did last time and it seemed to work out fine. I just picked every single little baby I could see on that tree and plonked it in the briny jar. I have slashed each fruity treasure a couple of times to allow the brine to go in, and the nasty stuff to come out. I will be changing the brine every day for at least 2 weeks, maybe more depending how it goes. And then I will marinate them in olive oil (not home-pressed unfortunately). I used 2 different salts simply because I have masses of them in the pantry at the moment. I am a bit of a mad obsessive when it comes to salt and olive oils, and end up with scads of packets and bottles. Tune in again soon for an update on the olive story!