Monday 22 June 2015

Hard Coffee Cafe - Review



Mr P. and I are not huge beach fans, nor fond of high-rise buildings so we rarely head down to the Gold Coast even though it is only an hour's drive away.  We usually head down just to visit my family, or to pass through on the way to northern New South Wales to our fave getaway spots, and to visit friends.  We did recently go down to the Gold Coast City Art Gallery, and chanced upon the launch of their latest art exhibition called 'Gold and Greenstone'.  This is a look at 6 Maori artists either living on the Gold Coast, or with family connections there.  We were lucky enough to arrive just in time for the launch, which included a smoke ceremony welcoming everyone, and also Maori and Aboriginal dancers opening the exhibition.  We couldn't believe how quickly they started the fire!

fire making for the welcoming ceremony-did they have secret hidden matches?:)  

bush-stone curlew just outside the Art Gallery-you would never guess how long their legs are from this photo!  

But before we headed to the Gallery, our rumbling tummies cried out "lunch"!  I wanted somewhere quiet (well, as quiet as you can find on the Coast), so we scouted around and found Tedder Avenue, a rather swanky and rather quiet tree-lined street hidden away from the hustle and bustle, though the high-rises were in touching distance.  We did a quick eeny, meeny, miny moe and picked Hard Coffee Cafe.

these are the type of cars you find in trendy Tedder Ave.  

and what do you see in real estate agents' windows?  luxury boats!  

We wandered down the street till we came across Hard Coffee, next to a boutique that had incredibly expensive hats, shoes etc.  I was pining after the Phryne Fisher-type hat!


love that hat! see the high rises reflected in the glass?   


It was actually a bit nippy sitting in the shade so I opted for a hot mocha while Mr P. had his usual strawberry milkshake.  My drink was delicious!  So warming and chocolatey while still being coffee.


hot mocha $4.30

Mr P's milkshake already half gone:) $5.50

I am a sucker for a club sandwich so I went for that with grilled chicken breast.  It looked really cute, and was a hearty sandwich with lots of avocado, bacon and lettuce.  Oh, and tomato but I usually hand that over to Mr P. as I don't like tomato all that much. (It's a family thing; my sister doesn't like it either).


really fresh and tasty $15.40

Mr P. went with the daily burger special $12.50  


great value daily specials 

the lovely ladies of Hard Coffee  

Hard Coffee is open daily from 6am to 4pm.  It has daily specials, plus gluten-free options.  Usual suspects are smoothies, milkshakes, deluxe sandwiches, salads and juices.  On the Pickings scale, I give it 3.8 out of 5.


File:Calibrate scale.JPG
(image Wikimedia Author C. hahn)  


Click to add a blog post for Hard Coffee on Zomato

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good choice for brunch or lunch! I didn't know that you didn't like tomato? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i did eat most of the tomato in this sandwich but i give huge chunks to Mr P. Also grilled tomato is a definite no-no!:) I just can't take hot tomato. Tho weirdly i do like tomato ketchup, and if necessary i can eat tomato as a pasta sauce but that is tough going as i am not a big fan of pasta at all. That's not to say i won't eat pasta or tomatoes, cos I do! I eat anything but i have preferences and tomato ain't one of them:))

      Delete
  2. What a fun day at the art gallery. I would have chosen the club sandwich too but I'd have eaten the tomato. :) The daily burger looks huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen
      Pete said the burger was great value and really nice. We had a nice time down the coast.

      Delete
  3. Your sandwich looks really good. I'd love one of those for lunch right now. I have never seen boats for sale in a real estate business's window! I love the GC but only for a holiday - not sure I could live there xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. We were amazed to see the boats in the window That was new to us:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.