Thursday 4 June 2015

The Balfour Kitchen - review

A former work colleague and I recently tootled off to see a Peter Churcher exhibition, which included that incredibly moving portrait of his mum Betty as she lay dying in hospital.  She instructed him to make it realistic, so he has depicted her looking weary, but unafraid of death.  Many of the paintings were of young, half-naked men in streams of glorious light.  As my friend pointed out, these looked brilliant when you stood at a distance and took in the splendid glow.  After absorbing the beautifully executed artworks, we then decided to head to The Balfour Kitchen nearby which is part of the Spicers Balfour Hotel in New Farm.  They cater for hotel guests and casual visitors, so we were able to partake of the delectable dishes on the menu.  The restaurant (and hotel) is in a lovely old Queenslander house, set in a leafy garden. Even though it is close to the CBD, and near a busy part of Brisbane, there was a sense of serenity and calm as we settled down to lunch.  I took delight in checking out the other patrons; among others, there was a couple consisting of a younger (married) man - (I saw his ring), and an older woman who did not appear to be his wife.  I watched them surreptitiously, though I did see her glance my way once or twice.  Maybe she thought I was taking photos of them, rather than the food!  The hotel is painted dark grey, which sounds odd especially for sunny Brisbane, but in fact it worked well, somehow making the green leaves of the trees stand out even more.


the lovely front door

the light in the front verandah     

green and leafy front garden     

Interestingly, they had linen table napkins, but paper table-cloths.  And very sensible too!  My lean friend is on a special eating plan (to do with health rather than weight), so I indulged alone in main and dessert while he stuck to a main.  You can see why he is lean, and I am mmm...not.  He ever so sensibly started with a pot of tea while I had a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

such a pretty little pot $4

I love a good glass of Sauv Blanc. $13

delicious crunchy potatoes with mango chutney aioli $12

Wild Barra with kale and chickpea salad $33 

lamb fillet with sweet potato crisps $35

petite rosewater and lychee brulee $8  

I love the flavours of rosewater and lychee so this was a real winner for me.  And it was "petite" so no need to justify having dessert:)  Not that I ever feel the need to do that.  Yes there was the dreaded kale, but not too much so I managed to scoff it down.  Service was unobtrusive, and friendly enough.
The chef brings an interest in Indian food to his dishes, so there was a slight leaning to exotic spices and Indo-Pacific hints.  We both enjoyed our meals, which were well-cooked and tasty.  The Kitchen is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, every day except Sunday night.


Click to add a blog post for Balfour Kitchen on Zomato
 

12 comments:

  1. Gosh Sherry - you do get around. I've not been here so sonce again you've trumped me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it wasn't somewhere i would normally go but as my friend was eager to go, i was happy to oblige!

      Delete
  2. The food looks really good. How were the potatoes? I always love crunchy potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the potatoes were delicious lorraine. crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. so yum.

      Delete
  3. What a pretty setting for lunch. I am like you - go for a glass of wine rather than a pot of tea and always have more than one course. I love the look of the crunchy potatoes - never seen them in squares before xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those crunchy potatoes were so delicious!

      Delete
  4. The setting looks gorgeous. Those servings do look a little small for me. I think Melbourne ruined my expectations for value for money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stella
      Yes the more we pay the less we get:). And it doesn't help when they stick it on huge plates either. But it tasted good.

      Delete
  5. What a gorgeous venue! I don't understand why ALL restaurants can't give a normal portion. Usually the portions are so large it makes me laugh and then makes me angry. Portions that leave me hungry just piss me off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these days it seems that you just get tiny portions on big plates. i would rather the other way around:)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.