Monday 10 April 2017

Dried Cranberry, Oats And White Choc Biscuits

I love the word cookies, don't you?  It just sounds so good and so crunchy in your mouth.  And so very descriptive.  But I refrain my dears, 'cos I won't give in to those damn Yankees:=)  Biscuits it is. And these are brilliant little morsels, great with a cuppa or a glass of bubbly. 

I discovered this recipe on the back of a Craisins packet.  It sounded so simple and (I hoped) delicious that I thought I'd give it a try.  I've had a bit of a bad run with recipes from cookbooks lately, so I am on a hunt for ones that work.  And this does.  It was easy to make, and tastes great, happily.  So here we go.  


layer upon layer of delish biscuits 


ingredients:


166g. (2/3 cup) butter, softened

133g. (2/3 cup) brown sugar or coconut blossom sugar or your fave

2 large eggs

113g. (1+1/4 cups) oats

156g. (1+1/4 cups) of plain flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

100g. (1 cup) dried cranberries

116g. (2/3 cup) white chocolate chips



Method:

Cream the butter and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl; preferably with electric beaters unless you are trying to build up your puny muscles

Add the eggs and beat well - yep, chuck them in together

Mix the oats, flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl

Combine the dry mixture with the buttery mixture, in 3 goes - i.e. add some, stir it in etc till the floury stuff is all mixed in

Now gently stir in the cranberries and chocolate chips

Then use a teaspoon to add rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased trays (no need for baking paper either)

Bake at 190C for 10-12 minutes or till golden

Cool on the trays, then place on racks to finish cooling - or just forget them like I did and whack them into a storage container when cold



Notes:


If you do a search on baking measurements, you will find people who say a cup of brown sugar is 200 grams, and others who say it is 155 grams!  So as I was using mostly coconut blossom sugar which is not all that sweet, I used a bit more than one said, and a bit less than another said.  Or you can stick with cup measurements, but I find them very imprecise

I did think of adding spices, etc. but Mr P. said to try the recipe as is - so I did.  And I think he was right; they are great as they are




ingredients gathered


creamed butter and sugar; eggs ready to be beaten in 


dry stuff combined


mix it all together 


ready for baking @190C for 10-12 mins.



golden and ready for eating 



This is such a quick and easy recipe.  You can whip it up for guests in a flash.  I might even add more choc chips next time.  So the verdict is: a great little recipe.  Good to see that you can actually find workable recipes in printed form.  Boo to all those cookbooks and mags. who don't do it right.




my coconut palm doodle       
  
Why a coconut palm I can hear you asking?  'Cos I used coconut blossom sugar, sillies.

8 comments:

  1. Hehe I was told to use the word cookie because Americans looking for recipes would get biscuits and cookies confused as they're different there! These cookies ahem biscuits look great! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn those Yankees taking over our language and culture:)

      Delete
  2. I just don't think in terms of biscuits. When I see biscuit I think of an American scone-type bread that's perfect for breakfast. However, when I make these, I'll call them biscuits. They sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree-the word cookies sound like it eats lol. I have a bit of a cookie problem though, I just can't stop eating them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Jem. Cookies! Yum. In my tum.

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about cookies vs biscuits - I love the term cookies too but try to refrain from being Americanised! These look great whatever you call them though.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.