Thursday 6 April 2017

In My Kitchen April 2017

Well, hubby and I are just back from our week away in Sydney and Canberra.  We have eaten all the good stuff, and been total culture vultures at several Art Galleries and Museums.  Oh, and caught up with family and friends, including Liz from Bizzy Lizzy blog!  Hi Liz:=)  And Michele from Fine Eating - hi Michele.

So I have a few things to show you in my kitchen:



a box of purple garlic

I read on Celia's blog recently (Fig Jam & Lime Cordial) that she had bought local Australian garlic, which she freezes for her annual supply.  I have done this for some years too; usually from Patrice Newell's Elmswood Farm.  I divvy it up into cloves with skin on, and shove into plastic bags and into the freezer.  It lasts for a year!   I was a bit worried I may not have enough so I decided to order another 500g. from Westmead Park Natural Farm.  



divvied up and ready for freezing


These gorgeous purple cloves are now sitting in my freezer for the coming months.  After having to buy some Mexican garlic last year in desperation (which was rotten and instantly thrown in the bin), I do not want to run out again.




fresh apples from the farm


Every autumn, a Stanthorpe farmer drives down to the big smoke and goes around the 'burbs hawking his fresh fruit.  I feel compelled to buy a box; gotta keep the locals thriving.  These are lovely and crisp.  I have given heaps away to friends but still have lots left in my fridge for eating, juicing and tea cake making.




baking choc oat biscuits on a rainy day 

A few days before the cyclone up north, we had a really rainy day in Brisbane.  Perfect for biscuit making.  These are easy and delicious.  And speaking of the cyclone, how odd it was to be away from home this past week, and to feel very removed from it all.   Just to let you know, there is now a fund set up by the Lismore City Council to help those in need after the floods (so you know it's legit. unlike some of the fraudulent ones that have popped up).




yes another wooden spoon - made from old callistemon wood 




I can hear Tiffin Fiona chuckling all the way from Texas!  Yes I had to buy another spoon.  Mr P. and I trotted along to the Old Bus Depot Markets in Canberra, and found a charming fella who makes implements from reclaimed wood.  How could I resist such frugality and resourcefulness?




John Olsen squid plate



We went along to the Art Gallery in Sydney (in the pouring rain mind you), and visited the John Olsen exhibition.  Regular readers may remember I bought a book recently which has recipes and artwork by Mr. Olsen (who loves to cook apparently).  It was a very interesting showing of his work over the last 5 or 6 decades of his career.  I admit I don't like a fair bit of it, (I don't understand it I guess) but there was heaps to admire and enjoy.  And he is still going strong at 89!


Well, that's about it for this month, other than to let you know I am taking over the mantle of In My Kitchen as of May.  So please hop along then to visit and contribute to the global peek into fascinating kitchens.  But for this month, check out Liz's blog for her last hosting posting of IMK :=)


  

38 comments:

  1. Hello lovely... so nice to meet you and your man in Canberra. Such a delightful couple. Thanks so much for taking over IMK for me... with our impending travels, I simply won't be able to do it. Love the garlic and the apples. Happy cooking xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Liz
      it was a hoot to meet you again in person. have fun on your trip. wish i was stowing away with you..

      Delete
  2. Love that wooden spoon Sherry. Also the box of apples was a good investment all round. I wish I had a local apple man driving by, though we do have an orchard around 4 kms away. Also a great idea to freeze garlic. I have never tried this so must get some from my dark cupboard and pop into the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi francesca
      success! your comment came thru. I just hope it doesn't affect the IMK hosting too much if people can't leave their link here. I know Celia vacuum packs her cloves but i just shove them skin and all into bags and pop into the freezer for up to a year. no probs. great to see you here.

      Delete
  3. Sherry, so good to hear you had a wondrous time in both Sydney and Canberra. My mother freeze her garlic too, but it is peeled before removing and then transferred into container. the wooden spoon is marvellous it reminds me of Welsh Love Spoons, Happy cooking and eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That spoon is stunning and I would have bought it as well. Never thought to freeze garlic. Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that you are taking over Sherry! And what a nice haul-Aussie garlic is so nice and I always get worried that I'll run out before the start of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi lorraine
      i am a bit nervous about taking over IMK. people have told me it can be hard to lodge comments here; i think because i am on blogger and most are on wordpress. let's hope it works out!

      Delete
  6. I have never frozen garlic before, I need to do this! I never thought about it. Thanks for the tip Sherry. Hope you had a fab getaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thanks Jem we had a great break away. Yep freezing garlic is great. It goes a bit limp but who cares when it's cooked?:)

      Delete
  7. Hi Sherry I just want to comment so you know I stop by. Most of my comments don't get through. I have no idea why . Anyway, all the best. Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glenda
      I know commenting can be tricky. Something to do with Wordpress and blogger not liking each other. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for offering to take over the linkup Sherry! Its one of the best blog linkups around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great fun isn't it? I hope it all goes well. :)

      Delete
  9. What a great idea to freeze fresh Australian garlic, there is nothing worse than rotten imported cloves. Serena @ anythingbuttoast.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks serena. I can't stand that foreign muck :)) (joke).

      Delete
  10. Oh, what lovely apples - it's great to support local businesses isn't it. I do try to buy from our butcher as often as a I can but when I'm not the main cook in the house it makes it a bit tough!

    I love the spoon - gorgeous colours. How do the cloves feel after freezing? Do you defrost them before using or use them straight from frozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi maggie
      the garlic goes a bit mushy but perfectly fine for cooking. i run them under cold water and then smash the skin off with my garlic mushroom (you know, those wooden mushrooms?) and use as normal. so handy to have around in the freezer.

      Delete
  11. Your garlic is one of those things that really brings joy (unlike mere possessions, IMHO). See you next month when you bravely take over IMK.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mae. I am a leetle nervous about hosting IMK mainly cos i worry that people won't be able to comment as some have told me they can't on my blog. hope it all works out.

      Delete
  12. As in other comments, thanks for the tip on freezing garlic. I must have missed Celia's post on it. I shall have to wait for the season but look forward to a stash. The garlic I see in the stores is rotten. Also, I am pleased you are taking over IMK. It is such a lovely group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Liz. let's hope it all goes well when I take over IMK. yes don't buy any foreign garlics; they just aren't the same as local. and all that bleach they use on them yuk!

      Delete
  13. Again, you have the best things. I have never frozen garlic in cloves like this. They aren't mushy? I have always bought fresh and when I grew it, I always ended up eating it all up right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi maureen
      yes they do go mushy but since i use them in cooking, it doesn't really matter. they taste a tiny bit less potent than fresh but i just use one clove extra:) i like to have a heap in the freezer as you can get stiffed on the imported crap.

      Delete
  14. Sherry, best wishes at the helm of upcoming IMK posts. (Bless you for assuming that role!) Loved your term "culture vultures", the reclaimed wooden spoon, glut of garlic and apples, and also your squid plate. Ar first, I thought it was a scorpion -- that's what I get for living in Oklahoma... LOL :) Frame of reference, 'n' all! Art is in the eye of the beholder! Congratulations for "stepping up to the plate." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. Hoping it all goes well. Happy Easter to you xx

      Delete
  15. I'm glad you enjoyed your time away. Like others, I love your new wooden spoon! I also love that shot of the apples - yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi kari,
      i adore wooden spoons so i just keep buying them. it's an addiction but i love it.:)

      Delete
  16. Congrats and good luck hosting IMK Sherry. I envy you all that delicious looking garlic, and the fab Olsen squid plate. I bought his inspirational book for my artist/cook daughter. Here's my IMK post
    https://pleasepasstherecipe.com/2017/05/02/in-my-kitchen-may-17/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sherry, 3rd try. This time I'll be lucky I hope! I envy you all that gorgeous garlic and Olsen's Squid plate, I bought my artist/cook daughter his inspirational book, she loves it. Here's my post https://pleasepasstherecipe.com/2017/05/02/in-my-kitchen-may-17/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra
      Sorry. I know the commenting can be difficult for some reason between WordPress and blogger Such a nuisance. I will add your link to May's post:). Thanks for joining in x

      Delete
  18. I got your comment, thanks Sherry for adding me to the list. This is attempt NO 5 to add a comment your post! Just saw the advice re WP below, I'm blind as a bat! I do wish these platforms were more co operative. I'm envious of all that gorgeous garlic and your Olsen squid plate. I bought my cook/artist daughter Olsen's inspirational book, she loves it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes so annoying that the various platforms don't like each other. Your post is safely on IMK for May. Thanks for your perseverence.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.