Thursday 1 June 2023

In My Kitchen - June 2023

This is my birthday month folks, so I intend to enjoy it immensely.  I've had a weird couple of years, which all seemed to start with getting a summons for jury duty.  I can't believe I've just received another one in the mail!  Apparently when I'm 70 I can apply not to be summoned again (or is that summonsed?), so I have a few years to go.  I have done jury duty before, and it was really interesting.  Something everyone should do at least once, but since my hearing has deteriorated badly of late, I am going to ask to be excused.  We'll see how that goes.

Some of you may have seen my Insta photos of the carpet python which has been living in the tree outside my study window.  I think she has finally moved on, as I've not seen her for a few days.  I just hope the local foxes, dogs or cars haven't got her.  People often ring the Snake catchers to move them on, but I always say 'Just leave 'em alone.  They'll head off when they're ready'.  As indeed she has.


look at those beautiful patterns!

But anyways, let's get to it!  Can't wait to see your posts too, my friends.

In My Kitchen:


delicious chocolate bombs
I add one of these to my coffee, and you end up with a fabulous mocha!  They only sell them in winter, so I look forward to that each year.  The milk chocolate bombs are filled with chocolate shavings and a wee marshmallow.

I bought some garlic products

and a couple of things from Dreamfarm design company

and I bought a few things from Mount Zero Olives

oh yes another cookbook - for Cookbook Club

sorry about the photo!

Our house guest bought me these as a gift.  So hard to get a good pic as the bag is opaque and fuzzy.  Should be good in drinks!  


more Japanese goodies

I was making a braised fish dish for dinner, and realised I didn't have saké or mirin for the broth, so we rushed off and bought - well, all of these!  For some odd reason, the rice crackers are called 'Soft Salad' - no idea why, but I do love them.


my curveball

Mr P. bought himself a painting by local artist Nikki Wood, who paints the local landscape and her very own garden.  We went to the opening night of her exhibition, and Mr P. could not resist this one, as it reminds him of his dad the glider pilot who loved these vast, empty landscapes.  Alan was a champion glider pilot and golfer!  We miss him still.


c. Sherry M.


Be a part of our friendly IMK community by adding your post too - everybody welcome!  We'd love to see you here.

Tell us about your kitchen (and kitchen garden) happenings over the past month.  Dishes you've cooked, preserves you've made, herbs and veg. in your garden, kitchen gadgets, and goings-on.  And one curveball is welcome - whatever you fancy; no need to be kitchen-related.  

The link is open from the first of the month to midnight on the thirteenth of the month, every month.

Options for adding your post to IMK:

1. Add via the Add Link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under the Add your IMK link OR:

2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it manually to the list below OR:

3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process, or if you would like it to be added after the 13th ('cos I'm happy to add it for you later)




You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

48 comments:

  1. Your new kitchen items look wonderful! I love Asian condiments which are needed in so many of the recipes we have been trying. I hope you will write more about that very curious cookbook from "The Horn of Africa" which is to me an odd choice of names, as it's not a culinary region, exactly. The edition in the US amazon.com listing says Ethiopia, which is more what I'd expect. And I learned that she fled Ethiopia, eventually to Melbourne, and has a restaurant there.
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I'm giving that book away! It just doesn't interest me at all. I bought it for Cookbook Club which I didn't end up going to anyway!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday month dear! Seems like you are having a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday month to you!! The chocolate bombs are very easy to make if you pick up one of the round molds. I love filling them with various different things around the holidays like sprinkles, cocoa, marshmellows, etc. They are fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i think it would be fun to make the bombs and fill them with fabulous things!

      Delete
  4. Hope you have a brilliant birthday month and enjoy the Festival of Sherry. I think you're very brave with the python, I would strongly encourage her to move on as long as she didn't move in! That painting is wonderful and even more special because it comes from a local artist and conjours up so many memories. In other news, I can't wait for dried lemon feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to hear that you're looking forward to enjoying your birthday month! Time flies, and it's hard to believe you've received another summons for jury duty. Hopefully, you'll be excused considering your hearing concerns. Jury duty can indeed be an interesting experience, and it's something everyone should try at least once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Raymund. An interesting and lovely month ahead I hope :)

      Delete
  6. Soft Salad...lol..a fun name for rice crackers. Sherry, Happy Birthday month to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it's an odd name for them. THanks re birthday wishes.

      Delete
  7. Here, we don't let snakes 'be' as they could be deadly. The local snake catcher is kept busy after fires but they hardly venture down from the biosphere. Enjoy the dried lemons which can be used in baking as well. And please report back on your new whisk.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we have lots of deadly snakes here too! I like the whisk but i think the bigger size would have been better.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday month Sherry! Enjoy the whole month and I hope it's full of lovely surprises :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lorraine. It has started well already.

      Delete
  9. That painting is gorgeous - I can see why Mr. P went for that one! As far as that snake, umm...no thanks. Haha. Happy birthday month, Sherry! And good luck with that jury duty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. hoping i can get out of jury duty ...

      Delete
  10. Good for you! Stretch out that birthday! Why not?!! You always have some fun stuff to show. Except for that snake….

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your birthday month Sherry, they seem to come around far too quickly for my liking lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you have a great birthday month, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, happiest of birthdays! Love the painting! Posting up in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello fellow Gemini and a wondrous day when it dawns! I share mine on the 10th with the late Duke of Edinburgh and Judy Garland with Marilyn Monroe just before - interesting mob shall we say . . . and everything said of the Twins is oh so true of me - good and bad!!! I would happily exchange your beautiful snake for the magpie nest I have on my tree just in the same spot as yours . . . . noisy, pushy so-and-sos who'd love my guts for garters~ Seriously - I have not been back to Japan for ages - would love my genie come bring the whole lot for a show-and-tell - we'd put everything back neatly, honest injun . . . have a decent weekend . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually Cancerian Eha. I just got in early with my post and my birthday :) Happy weekend to you too.

      Delete
  15. I love birthday months! Happy Birthday! I’m intrigued by the lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday to you, Sherry! The bombs for your coffee look fantastic. And the new kitchen gear looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to you this month Sherry! That carpet python looks deadly. You wouldn't catch me anywhere near it. Or even photographing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Neil. I do love a long birthday :) Oh she's a beauty that python; I'm just sad she has moved on.

      Delete
  18. Happy Birthday Month, Sherry! I'm glad the python has moved on -- that would totally freak me out! Hope you don't have to do the jury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jeanie. Yes I'm hoping to get out of jury duty; my ears and eyes are not up to it.

      Delete
  19. Thank you so much for the opportunity to link up. May you have a wonderful June and weekend. My entries for this week: #13+14 as

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Esme for your interest. Sadly your posts don't fit in with our IMK link, so I have had to delete them. Please feel free to join in with an appropriate post next month. We will be very happy to have you.

      Delete
  20. I'm obsessed by your gorgeous book about Horn of Africa cuisine! The cover is of course so pretty, but above all I'm very interested by the recipes of this recipe which is not so well known so far... Very good purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is very simplistic food I think, as it is a poor country. I don't mean that in a bad way of course.

      Delete
  21. It's my birthday month too! Although I have a just another day rather than a birthday month! Hope you enjoy your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a birthday should be a long one Marg. go for a whole month of it :=)

      Delete
  22. Sherry---How is this comment? Look better? Eliot's Eats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's easier to read without the Chinese script :=)

      Delete
  23. That first picture of the python really freaked out but I'm glad I continued to see all the goodies in your kitchen! I imagine you must have soooooo much storage space :) Loving your Japanese hauls too, you always seem to find cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks nancy. No our kitchen and pantry are pretty small :) I just keep shoving stuff in - hehehe. Yep love that japanese store.

      Delete
  24. Well, first - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Mine is in August and I hit Medicare this year. I have only been summoned (summonsed?) twice and both times i never had to report. Lucky me!

    Always fun in your kitchen. Wonder what it would be like if I added one of those chocolate bombs to my cocoa in the morning? (I think would like it.)

    The cookbook for the Horn of Africa sounds really intriguing though while there, I didn't find the cuisine too interesting. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks david. tho my birthday is still 2 weeks away i think one should celebrate for the whole month :) Ooh what does that mean about hitting medicare? Wow choc bombs in cocoa sounds great. Double the chocolatey goodness. Yes i wasn't really interested in that cookbook I'm afraid and have given it away. They are clearly very poor and the food is not that interesting to me.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.