Friday 16 June 2023

Rustici Leccesi - AKA Puglisi Cheese Bites

It was our online Cookbook Club time again, and the book was The Italian Home Cook by Sylvia Colloca, Italian-Australian actress, opera singer and cook.  I chose to make Cheese Bites, because ... pastry and cheese - of course, who would say no?  I serendipitously had a packet of pastry (comes already cut into ten small pieces) in the freezer which was perfect for this recipe.  I did end up having to use an extra sheet of pastry as this made a lot of filling.

Speaking of cookbook club, we were away for the last IRL session, so I told the lovely ladies at our local bookshop that I wouldn't be there, and they cancelled that one!  Mmm, must be more indispensable than I thought - tee hee hee, just kidding.  But also speaking of bookshops, the most wonderful and delightful Fiona Stager of Avid Reader Books in West End has been awarded an OAM - Medal of the Order of Australia.  Everyone is so thrilled for her; she really is the literary matriarch of West End!


cheesy, and 'shroomy


Makes 8 (or 9):

ingredients:

1 Tbs EV olive oil

90g./3 big oz mushrooms, chopped into small chunks

For the Besciamella/béchamel filling:

3 Tbs butter   see Notes

3 Tbs plain (all-purpose) flour

250 mL/1 cup milk

35g./1 biiiig oz of parmesan, grated

100g./3.5 oz cheddar cheese, grated   see Notes

dried herbs - chives and parsley for me - maybe 1 tsp of each

pinch of ground nutmeg

sea salt and black pepper, to taste

6-8 capers, chopped (optional)

For the pastry cases:

400g./14 oz butter puff pastry, thawed

1 egg

2 Tbs milk


Method:

First, heat up the olive oil and fry the mushrooms gently in a small frypan for a few minutes till soft, then put aside to cool down

Now make the sauce by melting the butter with the flour (yes, WITH the flour) in a small saucepan, medium heat, and stir the while till it becomes thick - like wet sand says Silvia!

Start pouring in the milk, and whisk like mad till all the milk is in

Grab a wooden spoon at this juncture, turn the hob to low, and stir for a few minutes till the sauce thickens, and the flour cooks out

Take it off the hob, add the cheeses, stir them in gently, then add the herbs, nutmeg, salt, pepper, capers and mushies - and let the mixture cool off, while you - 

Grab a couple of large baking trays and slap on some baking paper

Cut the pastry sheets into squares or circles (Silvia says 16 discs X 6cm/2.4 in) and place half of them on a tray, spoon on one heaped Tbs of the filling, place another disc on top, and press all around with a fork to seal    see Notes

Keep on till all the pastries are done, then give 'em an eggwash with the egg and milk beaten together

Whack the tray(s) of cheese bites into the fridge while the oven heats to 200C/390F

Bake for 20-25 minutes, till golden - best warm or at room temp.


Notes:

3 Tbs = 60 grams of butter - (we have bigger tablespoons) and = 45 grams of flour 

Silvia says to use provolone but I couldn't find any so I used vintage cheddar instead

She uses pancetta rather than mushrooms but feel free to use whatever you please as per her suggestions - ham, anchovies, tomato etc.

I had ten small, square pieces of pastry in the freezer (that's how the packet came) which made 5 round pastries (after I trimmed them into discs); I then used another rectangular sheet cut in half lengthwise to make 2 long rolls, which I then cut in half so I ended up with 5 discs and 4 rolls - make sense? :=) 


grate your cheeses

mix the butter and flour together - yep, all at once

stir in the flour and cheeses

in go the seasonings, and herbs

mushrooms in

trimmed into discs and ready for fillings

and I made 2 long rolls also, which I halved after baking

eggwashed and ready for baking

baked for 20-25 mins. at 200C

baked and halved

let's hoe in


c. Sherry Mackay

45 comments:

  1. These look and sound delicious! I will have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cheese! I can't resist good cheese. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jeanie. And you can change them up easily too.

      Delete
  3. Pastry and cheese (and also mushrooms) - that's a definite "YES"! :) These pastries look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pastry and cheese (and also mushrooms) - that's a definite "YES"! :) These pastries look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastry and cheese are definitely a winning combination, and your description of these delicious treats had my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had small pastries filled with cheese when we were in Puglia. These would take me right back there.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The combo of pastry and cheese is just so addictive! These would disappear at no time if I baked them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are right up my eat street - with cheese and puff pastry you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is watering Sherry! Oh my, I think these would be lovely for breakfast. I am saving this one. I have most of the ingredients already. How did they taste left over? Could you reheat them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Liz. yep good for any time of day. We ate them all but i bet they are good the next day.

      Delete
  10. These look mouth-wateringly good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a little work but so worth it. Looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's not to love about a pastry and cheese combination? These pastries look delicious and I bet they taste amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love cheese and pastry but I am not a mushroom fan - would need to find a substitute. Looks delicious though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes mushies can be a bit controversial. Just use pancetta as Silvia suggests.

      Delete
  14. Your cheese bites look and sound great. Served with a green salad and a glass of white wine would make a nice dinner. Karen (Back Road Journal)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice! Delicious. They remind me of a savory hand pie. I think cheese should be its own food group (laugh).

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love hand pies of all varieties. These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm this looks exquisite! I love that filling. Thank goodness for puff pastry dough!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look delicious! I have half-a-mind to make these today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sherry, "because ... pastry and cheese"—definitely! This looks soooo good. Definitely going on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the ingredients - I am planning to make cheese balls by Nick Digiovanni where the mixture is placed in mini muffin tins - a Brazillian steakhouse favorite of his :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay - puff pastry and cheese? Yes, please! When I saw the title of the post I expected something completely different - these far exceeded my expectations! I somehow imagine these as great outdoor picnic food...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i wonder what you were expecting?:) I think these are best eaten straight out of the oven!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.