Friday 23 June 2023

Torta Di Mele E More - Italian Apple and Blackberry Cake

Ready for another Cookbook Club recipe from Silvia Colloca?  Yep, of course you are.  (Once again, from her book The Italian Home Cook.)  This is a sweet one, her take on an apple and blackberry cake - Torta di Mele E MoreIt's not blackberry season (and really it never is in sunny sub-tropical Queensland), so I used the frozen variety.

I've talked before about picking blackberries with my sister when we were quite small, and selling them to the local jam factory.  I can't imagine any parent would allow their small daughters to go wandering off into the bush on their own these days; nor can I imagine a jam factory accepting berries from lord knows where!  

Not to mention the thorns and the spiders and the crazies who lived in the mountains where we grew up!  We had a very eclectic childhood.  Did I mention that we grew up in a cult?  There is a famous one called The Family (we weren't in THAT one), but still pretty crazy.  You can google The Family.  They were located in the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria, and it still exists apparently.


fruity and golden

Serves 8:

ingredients:

4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced - don't bother coring them, just slice around the core    see Notes

zest and juice of half a lemon

2 large eggs

200g./7 oz soft brown sugar

pinch of sea salt flakes

300g./2 cups self-raising flour

150g./5.3 oz apple sauce/purée   see Notes

100g./3.5 oz butter, melted

125g./4.4 oz blackberries (don't thaw if using frozen)

whipped cream, to serve


Method:

Heat your oven to 170C/340F, while you grease and line your 20cm/8 inch round cake tin with baking paper (base and sides)

Grab a large bowl, throw in the apple slices which you toss with the lemon zest and juice, then get on with the cake

Grab another large bowl, whisk the eggs and brown sugar till pale and fluffy (or as pale and fluffy as it will get, which wasn't much to be honest, so don't fret)

Chuck in the salt flakes, sift in the flour and mix well

Add the apple sauce and butter and mix well, then you add the apple slices and HALF the blackberries, and fold them in gently

Cake tin and batter; in it goes; thump to make it level, and fling on the other half of the blackberries

Bake for 60-65 minutes (mine took 80 mins. but as you can see in the notes, I added TWICE the butter!!)  You want the top golden-brown and "softly firm", says Silvia.  Pierce the middle with a skewer to make sure it's cooked through; you want a clean skewer to come out, of course

Let it sit and contemplate its behaviour for an hour in the tin, then serve on a nice plate with lots of billowing whipped cream (that's just plain cream that has been whipped!)


Notes:

Use whatever tangy, crunchy cooking-type apple you can get if you can't find the Granny

My suggestion for apple sauce/purée - buy baby food!  This is 100% apple, with no preservatives or sugar.  Or you can buy a tin of (100% pure) apple slices and blitz them in the food processor

I managed to stuff up by adding 200 grams! of butter, so the batter was like a lake; probably why it took so long to bake!


ingredients gathered

nice and thick when the flour is mixed in

and I added waaaaay too much butter! Twice the amount...

fold in the fruit

plop on the other half of the blackberries

ready to eat



c. Sherry M.

40 comments:

  1. Looks like a delicious cake! I love the behind the recipe story, a favorite way of mine to learn more about folks. I too have wonderful memories of picking blackberries as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great looking cake! I still have some applesauce I made last year...this is a good one to turn them into an afternoon treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. I want to know more about the cult. I listen to a very interesting podcast about them.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tandy. It meant no birthdays, christmas or easter. No chocolate! Bible meetings 3 times a week, etc etc...

      Delete
  4. This looks wonderful, Sherry. And your tip on the baby food -- four star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i really like to use baby food for things like apple puree.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sherry, wow it sounds like you certainly had an eclectic childhood. I hardly let my children go anywhere alone these days, I always chaperone lol. Different times. This cake looks lovely, I wish I had a slice to go with my morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeed a very eclectic childhood. We spent a lot of time out in the bush on our own as tiny children. Parents chuffed us out the door in summer and told us to come back at dark.

      Delete
  6. Nom nom, the perfect cake 🥮

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would enjoy making this cake (and eating it to). My hubby loved blackberry jam and we would travel every year to Kentucky (not far from Michigan) and get a supply of berries. I had a young nephew who said my blackberry jam had baby nuts in it and wouldn't eat it! Go figure :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! Your hint about your childhood is so intriguing -- wish you would say more. Kids here aren't even allowed to walk home from school alone these days. Same school where they used to learn to walk without parents along after 2 weeks of kindergarten.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae. We lived in a rural area that had lots of weirdos living in it :) Really out there types.

      Delete
  9. This apple cake looks so delicious with blackberries. Fruits are always good in cakes.
    I make it at my home by adding chai spices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Balvinder. CHai spices would be good too.

      Delete
  10. Looks perfect, Sherry - the combination of apples and berries sounds fantastic. I love the story of you picking them when you were young -- what a hoot. And growing up in a cult? That had to have given you a very different childhood. Am a bit afraid to google The Family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Our childhood was very - interesting. Also had a crippled dad and a mum who worked so that was different for those times too. Definitely look up The Family!

      Delete
  11. My kind of cake, Sherry, it looks delicious. I like fruit cakes above all others (though I keep a room in my heart to many many kinds).
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Amalia. I do love a bit of cake too :=)

      Delete
  12. Sherry you have to tell us more about the cult (well if you're comfortable telling us!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherry, I like to hear more about your childhood. What an interesting story. The cake looks good, I have to make it if I am ever home long enough. Gerlinde

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a great tip about the baby food! How did I not know you were brought up in a cult? Now I'm off to google The Family. I think you need to do some more cult posts! I'm so fascinated! The cake looks amazing by the way. I used to live by Epping Forest and have such fond memories of going blackberry picking with my friends. Only problem was we ate so many while picking that we never went home with much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too :) Yep it's just 100% fruit. Hope you had an interesting read re The Family. It's a bit grim.

      Delete
  15. The cake look fabulous.

    You must tell us more about your time in the cult!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice recipe, but I believe I will keep it for autumn in my case (French autumn ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wait. You grew up in a cult!? That's crazy, Sherry. Do tell us more! In the meantime, this cake sounds absolutely fantastic. We have wild blackberries all over the place around us, but they are much tarter than the storebought ones. In fact, you can't really eat the wild ones unless you add a bunch of sugar and bake with 'em. This cake sounds like it's right up my alley in terms of flavors, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep we did indeed. an interesting childhood to say the least. I seem to remember the wild fruit was very delicious here.

      Delete
  18. I feel like I need to reborrow this book. I had it out and wasn't truly inspired but now I have looked at what you have cooked I think I should have another look!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sherry I missed this one. Where was I? Anyway this cake looks delicious and very Italian. I love her recipes. So many cakes, and so little time to make them all. Like you I would be buying the frozen kind. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.