Sunday 9 July 2023

Braised Fish In Soy Sauce And Ginger

Oh my word, this was delicious!  I went to the vaults to haul out enough of the readies to afford some beautiful Western Australian barramundi (don't buy the Asian farmed stuff!).  I don't have a proper fish filleting knife, so I did my best with the knives I have.  And the kookaburras really appreciated the bits of skin with big lumps of fish clinging to them:=) 

This recipe is from Around the Table by Julia Busuttil Nishimura, an Australian cook of Maltese heritage, who is married to a Japanese chap.  She also spent time living in Italy, and speaks Italian.  Her book has a mixture of all these influences, using readily-available ingredients and simple techniques.  This dish was a winner!  


delicious broth for the fish

Serves 4:

ingredients:

120 mL/4 oz saké   see Notes

100 mL/3.4 oz dark soy sauce

3 Tbs mirin  (use biiig Tablespoons if using American spoons)

2 Tbs caster sugar

40g./1.4 oz fresh ginger, peeled and diced or shredded finely

80 mL/2.7 oz water

4 x 150g./5.3 oz skin-on, firm white fish fillets - I used barramundi but use whatever is good for you - i.e. a local, sustainable fish

To serve:

sesame oil

coriander/cilantro leaves

spring onions/scallions, finely sliced

a bit more fresh ginger, to sprinkle on top


Method:

Grab yourself a medium to large saucepan, and in go the saké, soy sauce, mirin, sugar, ginger, and water

Give it a good stir, then bring to a simmer over medium heat

Gently wiggle the fish into the saucepan, with the skin-side down

Put a piece of baking paper (or alfoil) directly (but loosely) onto the fish, and simmer for 8-9 minutes until almost opaque

Turn the fishy pieces over very gently, sans baking paper, for another 3-4 minutes till nicely cooked and to your liking

Now grab a deep serving dish (like a tureen), slip the fish into the bottom of said dish, then pour over the broth from the saucepan

On go the sesame oil, coriander leaves, spring onion, and ginger

Serve with rice and greens à la Julia, or whatever you fancy  (I used green beans)


Notes:

No saké?  Then use dry white wine, dry Sherry or Chinese rice wine 

Barramundi is also known as Asian Sea Bass or Giant Sea Perch


ingredients (partly) gathered

into the saucepan goes the broth makings

place baking paper or alfoil loosely over the fish

nearly time for dinner

ready for toppings

into the tureen

yay dinner!


the hungry kookaburra seeking fishy skin

I'm adding this photo in again, just because I love a kookaburra.  The females like to hang around our backyard, diving into the windows (and ruining the flyscreens).  They recognise me, and I am able to feed them raw meat from a fork.  They loved the barra skin with big chunks of flesh that I was not able to get off properly.  I will need to buy a proper fish knife one of these days :=) 



c. Sherry M.


48 comments:

  1. I will have to try this, while I would love to eat more fish, tasty ways to prepare it, have been my issue. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asian recipes for fish are plentiful and good :)

      Delete
  2. I have never seen a kookaburra in my life...is it local? The braised fish sounds really tasty...I bet the same sauce would go really well with chicken too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kookas are indigenous to Australia. Yes good for chicken too.

      Delete
  3. This sounds very similar to a cod dish that my husband had on our last cruise. He said it was really good. Karen (Back Road Journal)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flavors that you used in this dish with the ginger, soy sauce and fresh cilantro. What is a kookaburra? a bird? I'll have look it up. Never ever heard of one before. Looks cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes a great combo. Yep a very noisy bird that likes to laugh at humans :) Their beaks are very large!

      Delete
  5. Oh my, Sherry. This does look spectacular. Soy and ginger are such a wonderful combo -- My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious. I have had a fish filleting knife for nearly 30 years and it gets used a lot. Not only for fish tee hee.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often skin fish so I wouldn't get much use out of it...

      Delete
  7. I've had similar dishes (using whole fish) at Asian restaurants -- a great way to cook a fish! One thing surprises me about the recipe: it calls for both sake and mirin, but mirin is just a flavored version of sake so that seems redundant. My Asian market person (I think Korean by ethnicity but knowledgeable about what he sells) told me that the mirin he has is not really top-notch stuff and that I should buy good saki and make my own mirin (in that case, for Yakitori sauce). This was wonderful advice!

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maem I hadn't even thought about the mirin and sake thing. I guess just to add a bit more sweetness and flavour to the dish. I go to our local Japanese store to get my Japanese goodies.

      Delete
  8. Oh this does sound wonderful! Sake and sesame oil are a winning combination, plus the other ingredients. Love your kookaburra! And much nice to see it than the snakes…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you heard kookaburra song? They are loud and love to laugh at us poor humans :)

      Delete
  9. I love the kookaburras too. We tried barramundi whilst in Australia. We loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so delicious - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE these flavors! Delicious. :-) ~Valentina

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favourite flavours . . . I tend to seam mine . . . and usually use the dry sherry . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Braising worked out well I have to say :) Very tasty.

      Delete
    2. Truly must try - I hardly braise at all . . .

      Delete
    3. yes braising is not seen often in my kitchen repertoire :=)

      Delete
  13. That is one muddy kookaburra - I love that photo! And this recipe sounds quite tasty. We don't cook fish too often here at home, but we do enjoy it. I should try this recipe out sometime - it sounds quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she was very muddy. There is a creek near us where they must go to fish. I love fish and have it often and this was a beauty.

      Delete
  14. The kookaburra is adorable - your fish dinner looks delicious too! Asian flavors go so well with fish and many other things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Asian flavours are great with just about any protein :)

      Delete
  15. Yum! This looks soooo good. I will have to see if I can get barramundi at the supermarket, if not, I assume any white firm fish will suffice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they sell barra in the UK? Interesting ... I guess it would come from Asia rather than W.A.

      Delete
  16. This looks delicious. Soy sauce, ginger, garlic are an amazing combo on so many dishes. I've never heard of a kookaburra...too cute.+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are great flavours. She is definitely a cutie :)

      Delete
  17. Great combo of flavors, that kookaburra is adorable...almost dog-like.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a great combo of flavors...hope this doesn't go through twice. Anyway, the kookaburra is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, your Braised Fish in Soy Sauce and Ginger looks absolutely amazing! I can almost taste the flavors just by looking at the photos. Using fresh Western Australian barramundi was definitely a great choice, and I completely agree about opting for sustainable, locally sourced fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Raaymund. Yes local (ish) fish was definitely a good choice.

      Delete
  20. Ha ha! Love the picture of the kookaburra. Didn't realise they were so tame! I love this recipe Sherry. I can imagine the delicate and moist texture of the fish combined with the sauce creating such a brilliant meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Neil. Yes the kookas can be very demanding when they want to be. and this fishy dish was a winner.

      Delete
  21. Sounds like a fascinating cookbook. And as for this dish, it sounds delicious. I think I've had something quite similar in Chinese restaurants here and I'm a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Frank. Yes we enjoyed this dish. very Asian flavours. Definitely will make again.

      Delete
  22. This recipe looks delicious Sherry, and very Japanese inspired. I have all of those sauces so must give it a try. We certainly have the fresh ginger. How lovely to have a friendly kookaburra, we've had magpies begging for food, but they can get quite aggressive so I stopped encouraging them. You are producing some lovely fish meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how lovely to have your own ginger! We only get ratty old ginger in the shops down here.

      Delete
  23. Hi Sherry - I don't know how I missed this earlier! It sounds fantastic and I wish we could get baramundi here - I would love to taste it. I will definitely try this with another fish soon - I love how fresh and healthy it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes barra is a really fab fish David! I've only just started cooking with it myself recently as I've only eaten it at cafes in the past. But it's fabulous!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.