Tuesday 25 July 2023

Sri Lankan Salmon Curry

I love fish and I eat a fair bit - well, lots of it.  Smoked salmon on corn crackers (100% corn - who knew?), hot-smoked trout in salads, salmon pieces baked in the oven, or flaked into stir-fries, sardines smooshed onto toast, barramundi made into - well, you know, you've read my posts.  You name it, I'm there.  

So I made this fishy curry for Cookbook Club, 'cos they were all doing Pressure Cooker recipes (I don't have one).  We have an all-year theme also, which is any recipe from Delicious magazines or books.  This recipe is from the Delicious mag., May 2014.  There are so many recipes I want to try from this mag.  To parody musician Frank Zappa: "so many recipes, so little time."   


fishy deliciousness

Serves  4:

ingredients:

2 garlic cloves

3cm/1.2 inch piece of fresh ginger, sliced

2 tsp of panch phora (aka phoran)  AND of whole coriander seeds

1 Tbs Madras curry powder (they say mild, I say medium)

2 small green chillies, chopped

2 Tbs sunflower oil (or any neutral oil)

1 onion, chopped

4 tomatoes, chopped into small pieces

10 curry leaves

1/2-1 tsp sea salt flakes (test for saltiness; add more if you please)

1 bunch broccolini  (add some snowpeas too for extra greens)

270 mL/9 oz can coconut milk

125 mL/4.2 oz water

600g./21 oz skinless salmon fillets, cut into 3cm pieces

freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Shredded coconut, lime wedges, chutney and warmed roti or naan bread, to serve  (I had garlic naan)

Method:

First make your curry paste, either in a mortar and pestle (eek!) or throw the garlic, ginger, spices and chilli into your food processor, and zap till well-blended

Add the oil to a deep frypan or saucepan over medium heat, and cook up the onion for several minutes

Now add the curry paste into the pan and stir in for a few minutes

Tip in the tomatoes, curry leaves, salt and veg., and cook for a couple of minutes

In go the coconut milk and water; bring to a simmer, add the salmon and let it cook till the fish is just right for you (I like mine tender and just done)

Check for seasoning; add more salt and some pepper if you fancy

Sprinkle on the coconut, and serve with the lime wedges, chutney and warmed bread

Notes:

I bought 660 grams of salmon with skin-on, which ended up as 520 grams after skinning (it was fine)

I used green cayenne chillies, which were soooo mild.  Next time I'll go for hotter ones, and a medium curry powder


spices from Herbie's (not an ad.)

ingredients gathered

zap your paste

zapped!

chop those onions

frying up the onion, curry paste, leaves and tomato

in goes the fish - look how juicy!

serve with warmed bread (and my homemade mango chutney on the side)

just a few recipes I want to try from this one :=)



c. Sherry M.

Another childhood story: Dad was crippled from childhood polio; mum went out to work. One day we came home from school, to find our young cat deceased.  Dad said the neighbours down in the valley below us had shot her; it wasn't till many years later that my brother told me Dad had actually taken a pot-shot at her in a Sherry-ridden haze (the drink, not me!).  He saw her eyes glowing red in the darkness under our house!!  Maybe he thought she was the Devil incarnate :=)

40 comments:

  1. This dish sounds and looks amazing. I also love fish. I agree too many recipes, not enough time. Wow, you have some interesting childhood memories. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lori. We enjoyed it. Yep childhood was - very interesting!

      Delete
  2. This sounds great. I'm unfamiliar with many of the ingredients, but that makes it more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "so many recipes, so little time." So TRUE! I love DELICIOUS magazine and your salmon curry looks mouthwatering, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Angie. Delicious is a great mag. for sure.

      Delete
  4. There is a new fish store we have we haven’t visited yet. Now I have the inspiration to visit and see what’s available. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great Marie. Always good to find a place that sells local and sustainable fish.

      Delete
  5. That is gorgeous! I’m jealous that you can get so much fresh fish where you live. It was only when visiting Australia that I got to taste barramundi. Fabulous. I own some panch phora and now I know what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we are lucky with produce here. Barramundi is such a tasty fish. Have fun!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, that's terrible about your cat. And sad for your father to have been affected by Polio. Something we seldom see now. I've never heard of panch phora. I will have to see if it's available here.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. A rather interesting recipe I'll certainly copy tho' possibly using a Sri Lankan curry powder - Hate the European-ness of Madras which isc always supposed to be hot anyways and which Indian chefs think ia a ghastly British aberration !!! Where do you buy your Herbies? I have straight from their Central Coast factory I still get their newsletter and dream of going to a Keralan spice holiday with the Hemphills but these days everyone seems to keep Gewurtzhaus . . . ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Eha, yes i prefer sri lankan curry powder too, and that's what i normally have in the pantry. I buy Herbie's online. Yes Gewurtzhaus is very popular and I do buy from them online occasionally.

      Delete
    2. Birds of a feather - Herbies on line for me too . . . but I remember the 'good old days' when the MasterChef pantry was full of the name!!! . . . see'ya

      Delete
    3. I'd forgotten that Masterchef used to have herbie's spices.

      Delete
  8. Mr P says wonderfully delicious, this was. I had to suffer so much trying it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious, Sherry! I adore fish curries--any kind of curry, really--so this is right up my alley. I assume this would work with other fish as well? I wonder if the original recipe doesn't call for another kind of fish. As far as I'm aware there aren't too many salmon swimming around the Indian Ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Frank. Yes i'd say you are right about the fish. Salmon is more of a Pacific and Atlantic ocean kind of fish :) But use whatever fish is local and delicious.

      Delete
  10. I love fish too although Mr NQN doesn't like cooked fish much. But I think he'd enjoy this because curries have that lovely sauce. What a sad story about the cat! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am a big fish fan; hubby not so much :) But he does love a curry. Yes our poor little cat.

      Delete
  11. That paste sounds quite delicious, Sherry - so many amazing flavors in there. This would be a fantastic meal, and I'm certain that it would make it's way into the regular rotation. So sorry to hear about the family cat - gosh. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is David. Yep childhood was an interesting time of it.

      Delete
  12. I love salmon and I love curry so I'd be all over this. Nom, nom! Now I'm living in the UK I really miss Herbie's spices though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this looks delicious Sherry! I'm not a huge fish lover but I eat it. However, I LOVE salmon! I haven't seen a salmon recipe like this one so I'll definitely be giving this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anch'io adoro il pesce! E questa tua versione del salmone è davvero appetitosa.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love a good curry. Salmon is a bit expensive nowadays but if you've got the money for it, why not treat yourself eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. salmon is pretty expensive here all the time :=) but yes gotta treat ourselves now and then. And it was delicious.

      Delete
  16. This looks delicious Sherry, I often just cook salmon in the pan because that is how hubby prefers it, but this would be delicious for a change. I think it's a good idea to make the curry sauce first and then add chopped salmon at the end, rather than try to keep the salmon whole. It only breaks up anyway. The price of salmon has just gone up to almost twice the price this week, ridiculous. I didn't mind paying $32 a kilo, but now it really is a treat. Won't last forever though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually bake my fish as it's so much easier than frying. A fish curry is a delish thing :)

      Delete
  17. Mark and I love any kind of curry, and I don't think we have ever had Sri Lankan curry of any kind. I was going to ask the same question as Frank - so thanks for that answer. As salmon is probably my favorite fish, I will do what you did! By the way, I also don't have a pressure cooker. My mother was deathly afraid of them, so maybe I inherited that a bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love sri lankan curry powder - so spicy and slightly sweet. I've just never thought of getting a pressure cooker!

      Delete
  18. This looks so delicious.
    We eat quite a bit of fish, too - Oven cooked and in Curry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, this Sri Lankan Salmon Curry looks like a seafood delight! Your love for fish really shines through, and I can tell you enjoy experimenting with various flavors and recipes. The combination of spices in the curry paste sounds fantastic, and I love how you've added a personal touch to the recipe by using green cayenne chillies and opting for a medium curry powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raymund. I do love me some fish :) This was great but definitely needed a bit more heat for our tastes.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.