Monday 16 October 2023

Eccles Cakes

Eccles cakes?  Not something you see a lot of these days, unless you make them yourself.  What are they, you ask?  Eccles cakes - little pastries stuffed with a mix of currants and mixed peel - originated in the town of Eccles in England, and traditionally are served with cheese.  Cheese?  Mm, maybe another time.  That does remind me of my Scottish friend though, who eats apple pie with cheese!  

And I rather fear that currants and mixed peel have gone out of fashion, except in Christmas cakes.  But in saying that, I do have rather a lot of dried fruit in my pantry at the moment.  Must use up all those currants and sultanas ...

This is a recipe (yes, for Cookbook Club) from the delightful book Tried Tested and True by Liz Harfull.  This is a collection of recipes from Australian community cookbooks (my fave kind!), put together by Liz, and including delightful old photos.  This book is a real treasure!     


fruity, oozy, crispy, sugary bliss


Makes 18-19 wee pastries:

ingredients:

30g./1 big oz butter

30g./1 big oz dark brown sugar

90g./3 biiig oz currants

60g./2 biiig oz mixed peel/candied peel

1 tsp ground nutmeg - more? less? up to you    see Notes

2 sheets butter puff pastry  - yes butter puff is the best!

a little milk, to glaze the tops

2 Tbs sugar


Method:

On goes your oven to 200C/400F

Grab a couple of baking trays and line with baking paper

Butter and sugar go into a small saucepan over medium heat; stir till butter melted and sugar dissolved

Then stir in the currants, mixed peel and nutmeg, and let it cool off the heat

Cut the pastry into rounds (I used a mug) of 8cm/3.2 inch diameter

Place a teaspoonful of filling into each disc (you really don't need too much filling 'cos you don't want it to ooze everywhere)

Wet the edges of the pastry and bring the pastry over the filling

Pinch them together well, turn 'em over and pat them into lovely rounds

On to the trays they go, and pat gently to flatten slightly till you can just see the filling thru the pastry (but not breaking thru)

Brush with the milk (or an eggwash), sprinkle with sugar and make a couple (or 3) slashes on top of each with a small, sharp knife

Bake for 10-12 minutes, or till golden, and then let 'em cool on a wire rack

Store in an airtight container for a few days


Notes:

Liz suggests using fresh nutmeg, and grinding into the saucepan with the currants and mixed peel



cutting out the rounds of puff pastry

and another tray to go

fill and seal and flip and pat

pat 'em down

oops this should be the later photo!  all milky and sugary

so cute

so delicious

they did not last long!


c. Sherry M.

58 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe. This is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, these would go perfectly with a fresh cup of coffee! We don't cook with currants much, but I'm going to search and I hope find some for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they would Marcelle. Currants are best for this recipe I think.

      Delete
  3. what a coincidence. I was not familiar with eccles until two days before when my daughter took me to a coffee shop and they had glazed eccle cakes. I immediately googled and decided to try them at home. And today I saw this recipe. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny how life turns out that way so often :) They are delicious.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this interesting and different recipe. It looks delicious with or without cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look and sound wonderful! Americans like apple pie with cheese! But not good cheese - American cheese. It’s more like cheese “food.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my that sounds a wee bit odd - to have American cheese with them. I think that's like the "plastic" cheese slices we have here?!

      Delete
  6. I love butter pastry! These look fantastic with currant filling...would be nice for X'mas too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes butter puff is the best! It's a bit of a pain to work with but the results are so good! I don't know if I've ever had one of these cakes before but I've heard of them. They look very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it was a bit difficult with the butter puff esp. in brissie's humid climate :) But worth it! for these cute cakes.

      Delete
  8. Your wee pastries are very bonnie. Thanks for the very different addition to an appetizer board. Bernadette, https://newclassicrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bernadette. They really are cute and delicious.

      Delete
  9. This sounds like a fun recipe, and it's definitely one I've never made before. You're right that currants have gone out of style a bit. Can something else be used instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could use sultanas, chopped up well into currant-like pieces ...

      Delete
  10. People don’t used dried fruit much any more. These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. must be a British thing. Aussies still use a lot of dried fruit, esp. in the Christmas season.

      Delete
  11. I'm always reading in Brit mysteries about someone having another "eccles cake" and wondered what they were. I'm saving this one! Maybe I'll make them the next time my mystery-loving Brit friend comes to town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jeanie, eccles cakes are so delightful. Tiny parcels of joy.

      Delete
  12. I would occasionally make a cheddar crust for my apple pie - hubby request! I'm not into this kind of cake but it sounds festive :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a good friend whose last name is Eckel, and her family was probably originally from Eccles. I have always wanted to make her Eccles Cakes, and now I have a lovely recipe -- and I have everything on hand. Her birthday is coming up soon and we are taking her to the Grand Canyon -- these will be perfect for snacking on in the car. Oh, and many New Englanders eat cheddar cheese with apple pie... as does my family, and we are also part Scottish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love that word - eccles. it rolls around in your mouth so wonderfully. OOh nice, the Grand Canyon. We went to Yosemite years ago but not the GC. One day ...

      Delete
  14. What fun! Have not made but quite often enjoyed those of others. Oh dried fruit in baked goods et al is totally acceptable . . . and I like cheese with apple pie but there never never ever would be any plastic slices within a cooee of this house :) !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i really enjoy dried fruit! I have had cheese with apple pie now and then; I guess it's just another form of dairy - as in, having cream with it more usually.

      Delete
  15. "Apple pie without the cheese
    Is like a hug without the squeeze."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tee hee Mae. Yes i do remember that little saying...

      Delete
  16. I have never tried these! And I am not a fan of apple pie and cheese.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eccles cakes are worth a go. I don't mind apple pie with cheese; it's just that i am not a huge fan of apple pie :)

      Delete
  17. I would love these with cheese, and any little pastry has my vote. I'm not that fond of mixed peel, but I might make an exception for these. I've never had them before, and what a great way to stretch the budget as well. Another great find in an interesting cookbook Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I do think a bit of cheese would not go astray here Pauline :) Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  18. Eccles cakes are such a delightful treat, and this recipe looks fantastic! It's a lovely throwback to traditional pastries. I can almost taste the fruity, sugary goodness just reading about it. Thanks for sharing this delightful recipe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh! I love eccles cakes - they're oldies but goodies. Now I want to make some - yours look like the real deal!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have a Scottish friend who eats apple pie with cheese? As someone living in Scotland, I have NEVER heard of that! Although I am intrigued. And I am huge fan of eccles cakes so many thanks for posting this delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look delicious. I've heard of Eccles cakes in stories, but never really knew what they were made of. I like currants, but the candied peel, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lorrie. you don't really taste the peel in these too much.

      Delete
  22. From johanna @ https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/ - I too have dried fruit to use - eccles cakes sounds great - I made a savoury version once but now you have me wanting a sweet version - and that cup is in my kitchen too - one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a savoury version? I've never heard of that one. What do you use for the filling?

      Delete
  23. Hi, this is just a test comment being left from my laptop to see if your blog automatically deletes this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tandy. I usually am able to publish it but then I notice days later that Blogger has deleted it so I add it again and hope for the best!

      Delete
  24. OOh I love the recipe and haven't heard of eccles cakes. I will definitely try them so thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Sherry - wow these look and sound delicious! Love knowing where they originate from too! My Mum would love these. I might just have a go at making them for her! Hope you have a wonderful week. Thanks so much for linking up with #WWWhimsy xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those eccles cakes look delicious. Thank you for the recipe. #WWWHIMSY

    ReplyDelete
  27. Haven’t had one of those for a long long time. Yours look very tempting so I’ll pass the recipe on to a daughter - she’s ‘the cook’ in the family. I have an intense dislike of ovens so we’ll see what she can come up with.
    Thanks for sharing
    Take care
    Cathy. #WWWhimsy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Sherry. I found your blog on Min's Wednesday's Words & Whimsy. It's nice to "meet" you. I haven't heard of Eccles Cakes before, but they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lovely to meet you christie. They are delicious indeed.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.