Tuesday 24 October 2023

Skinklada aka Swedish Baked Omelette

Don't you just love the name of this dish?  One of the small native lizards here in Australia is the Eastern Water skink, which is what this dish brings to mind.  Just because of the name, not the flavour or look of it, you understand.  Though then again, I've never tried a skink omelette ...  I have eaten wallaby sausage though, and a kangaroo burger.  

This recipe is also from the book Tried Tested and True by Liz Harfull.  Apparently, it's a very traditional, Swedish baked omelette.  This recipe was brought back to Australia by Mary Lindqvist, who was briefly married to the Swedish Vice Consul in Egypt in 1934.  Sadly, he died 18 months after the wedding.  

So Mary came home with a few recipes, including this one.  Mary tells us that the Swedes "must have special stomachs, honed by centuries of training," as she faced gargantuan meals in Sweden.  Happily, this dish is light and full of delicious protein; great for lunch or a light supper. 


just add salad and relish

Serves 2:

ingredients:

100g./3.5 oz ham, bacon or hot-smoked salmon or trout, diced - see Notes

a big handful of herbs, chopped - I used parsley and chives

some dried chilli flakes if you like - I did!

4 large eggs

500mL/17 oz milk

sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste


Method:

On goes the oven to 180C/355F

Butter your 25cm./9 inch pie dish liberally

Cast the protein of your choice over the base of the pie dish

Then scatter over the herbs and chilli flakes

Grab a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together and add the salt and pepper

Pour the egg mixture gently over the fish (or meat), and bake for 25 minutes or till set

Serve with a lovely green salad, and a spicy tomato or capsicum relish


Notes:

I doubled the recipe as the one in the book is for 1 person

Liz suggests using a  23cm. pie tin and baking for 30 minutes; I only have 25cm. tins so it took a little less time to bake

Use mushrooms or another vegetable to make this vegetarian, or maybe just some grated vintage cheddar

Mary apparently suggested using smoked salmon or anchovies for this dish!  Anchovies ... mmm, maybe

little fishies


ingredients gathered

scatter herbs and chilli over the fish

pour over the eggy mixture

and bake at 180C for about 25 minutes

Mysteriously, this photo has a different pie tin?!  I can't remember why; I guess I made two of them ...

delicious with a salad for dinner


and here's a tea towel with the recipe,
which you can buy on Etsy :=)



c. Sherry M.

46 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I love the tea towel with the recipe on it. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eggs and pairing with salmon is definitely win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this omelette! (I hate that people use omelet these days!!) I can’t wait to try this — seems perfect for a light supper when planning ahead didn’t work out. Also love the tea towel. I used to collect tea towels with recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes this is so simple and tasty. a great late night supper.

      Delete
  4. Sounds delicious. It also sounds exactly like a frittata -- although the ingredients besides eggs in a frittata are a bit flexible. But no surp[rise that more than one cuisine would come up with this type of dish.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep you're right Mae. very much like a frittata.

      Delete
  5. Salmon and eggs - a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my kind of breakfast for supper meal! just love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely lovely but so familiar methinks all of Scandinavia and the Baltics make it this way! We'll know this time tomorrow . . . I have three great friends in Skane county in S Sweden and one was an internationally known chef for decades!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry - first letter back - YES, very well known dish, especially after Yule and Easter! Ron (American husband of a Swedish wife) has included an interesting link - if you could send me your email for a once.only.use I'd send it up tomorrow1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome to email me any time Eha :) it is sherrym1au@gmail.com

      Delete
  9. Second one in - ditto . . . . I'm rather thrilled . . . it's barely light there . . . . food blogging at its best :) !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Looks delicious! I do make omelets and frittatas but baked egg dishes are so easy, I love that kind of recipe, too. It’s probably like homemade soup, it never tastes exactly the same way twice with all the variations possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes very variable. you can add anything you fancy.

      Delete
  11. Looks good Sherry! I would not have thought the Swedes ate huge meals-you learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This omelette recipe is right up my alley - except I'd keep the anchovies for pizza. Love your sketch at the end xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of Swedish baked omelettes before, but I've never actually made one. This sounds easy to make, and it sounds quite tasty, too! I'd definitely go for the addition of vintage cheddar!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you baked this omelette Sherry, and definitely I would use the salmon as well. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Pauline. I keep thinking of anchovies in it - eek!

      Delete
  15. This looks good, Sherry -- something I would never think of doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jeanie. Baked omelettes/frittata are a go-to for me.

      Delete
  16. I like Scandinavisn cuisine, but I don't think I've ever heard (nor tried) of Skinklada; it sounds like a great omelette recipe. Personally, I'd go with smoked fish, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like Scandinavisn cuisine, but I don't think I've ever heard (nor tried) of Skinklada; it sounds like a great omelette recipe. Personally, I'd go with smoked fish, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a delightful dish with a fascinating history. It's always interesting how recipes travel and evolve over time. This omelette seems like a versatile and quick meal to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Sherry - wow this looks delicious! I'm always looking for new recipes to try that aren't too complex. This looks like a good one! Love the name! The poor old Aussie skinks are pretty rare these days aren't they? They've been driven out by the pesky Ghecko's! So pleased you managed to link up with #WWWhimsy this week. Hope you do again - love this recipe and look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Min. we used to have lots of skinks of all sizes here but they have disappeared just like the bees and wasps and snails ...

      Delete
  20. I love that this is baked in the oven and the veggie variations are endless. Yours looks so good, I am definitely going to have to give this a try! Nom nom!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.