Wednesday 1 November 2023

In My Kitchen - November 2023

How many weeks till Christmas???  Eeeeeek ...  Here we are, at the penultimate IMK for 2023 already!  My second and last cataract surgery is on the 30th November, so I can't wait for that one to hurry up and arrive.  My first eye op. went really well, and I have great vision (on the right side), but as I still can't wear my spectacles, I am getting around half-blind.  

My surgeon is an interesting fellow, and doesn't seem to think it at all odd that I am not able to see properly for so many weeks.  He tends to talk to his laptop, while I struggle to catch up!  I dragged Mr P. in with me the other week so he could hopefully hear the pearls of wisdom falling from on high.  Nah, neither of us ended up with much of anything :=)


In My Kitchen:



a gift from our Persian friends - wine and saffron - excellent stuff

a gift from another friend

there was citrus-cordial-making

and mustard making (overseen by many Minions; I love Bob!)

I bought myself a Fluicer from Dreamfarm

I could not resist this beautiful cookbook

bought an "antique" Japanese soy sauce pourer - mmm ... Plastic lid!!


the curveball - by Sally Willbanks

I love the beautiful landscapes that Sally creates.  So calming and colourful! - and deceptively simple for sure.  My walls are groaning!  Where oh where are the other pieces we have bought/commissioned going to go?  Wait till next month to see the marvellous watercolour rendition of our house by our Persian friend Ms. Atee.


and here's Minion Bob giving us a wave :=)


That's it from me; your turn now! 





Be a part of our friendly IMK community by adding your post here too - everybody welcome!  We'd love to see you.  Tell us about your kitchen (and kitchen garden) happenings over the past month.  Dishes you've cooked, preserves you've made, herbs and veg. in your garden, kitchen gadgets, and goings-on.  And one curveball is welcome - whatever you fancy; no need to be kitchen-related.  

The link is open from the first of the month to midnight on the thirteenth of the month, every month.

Options for adding your post to IMK:

1. Add via the Add Link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under the Add your IMK link OR:

2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it manually to the list below OR:

3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process, or if you would like it to be added after the 13th ('cos I'm happy to add it for you later)


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

38 comments:

  1. Don't you just love sweet gifts like those from friends? I always do. I need to buy myself a juicer. I've noticed my hands can't squeeze as much juice as they used to. Your mustard and the cookbooks look awesome. Funny how the 'antique' soy sauce bottle has a plastic lid. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry -- It's great that your first surgery went well. Too bad you have trouble with communications from the doc! Good of you to keep up with the kitchen blog party.

    I'm looking forward to more kitchen posts by the usual participants too. Interesting how a not-in-my-kitchen post always seems to show up. I hope there won't be too many of those this month so you won't have to spend all your time cleaning up.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mae. Blogging keeps me sane :) Yes I've deleted 3 rogue posts already!

      Delete
  3. Love those homemade mustard! Good luck to your eye operation, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Angie. Hubby loves my mustard I gotta say. Can't wait till end of the month for my next eye op.!

      Delete
  4. Ugh, another surgery. Well, at least you’ll have good vision in both eyes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes having to wait for the next op. is a pain; can't wait for great vision in both eyes!!

      Delete
  5. I love the Old Cooking Utensils book - interesting finds I bet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember waiting for my second surgery for cataracts. The in between wasn’t fun with such difference in vision in the eyes. However, the end result was worth the wait. I hope that is the case for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep not fun at all. I'm getting headaches from the eye strain.

      Delete
  7. Pleased the op went well - hope the second one is just as successful. Your mustard looks so good - now I’m off to google flucier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too Sammie. A fluicer is a fab. fruity juicer.

      Delete
  8. I'm amazed your other surgery is so far away. Here they are done within a week. I'm so sorry to hear you are battling. I need to look up what that fluicer does!
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had paid 2.5 times the $, I could have had the 2nd surgery much quicker but I thought nope, I'll wait, even tho it's a right pain :)

      Delete
  9. Absolutely great about your 'done' eye - only a month to even things up !!! My 'walking' still has not allowed me to go see what my optometrist thinks - I keep on saying 'next week' !!! May need the same . . . if so, I'll cover the 'bad eye' up for the differential period . . . only 'one message' then going to the brain ????? Love the look of the mustards and the soy sauce pourer . . . not looking at an cookery books . . . Tandy has already successfully tempted :) !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Eha. Can't wait till end Nov. I had a 2 hour session at the dentist today too. The fun never ends :=) Yes I must stop buying cookbooks. The eye ops. are much easier than the dental crown I have to say. They knock you out; you wake up; it's all done and they give you a cuppa and a sandwich. Fab.!

      Delete
  10. Oh my! that does sound like a challenge with not being able to see well. I hope you get the next surgery soon. Saffron is a lovely gift bc it is really expensive. I love your juicer. It looks like it does a really good job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is a challenge! i do love saffron; a great gift. and the juicer is fun.

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad the first surgery went well and hope the secon dis the same. I always love seeing what's in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck for your second eye! I hope you will have a new view of life when you are all done, just in time for Christmas too! Your antique soy sauce pourer actually says "chilli oil" on it, not that it matters :) I had no idea that you could make your own mustard, how does that even work?? Anyway thank you so much for hosting, I love reviewing my kitchen every month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much! can't wait. thank you for that info re the wee bottle. I have got onto the store but they are very indifferent. Check out my mustard recipe on the blog. it's very easy! you just need a good food processor. and thanks for being part of IMK!

      Delete
  13. Good luck with the last eye surgery, Sherry! being half blind cannot be a lot of fun!

    I absolutely love the old kitchen utensils book! That must be so much fun to go through… And, I’m so glad to see you got “Now & Then.” I just love her work, and i’m hoping you are enjoying it as much as I am.

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. Yep i will be super glad when the other eye is done. That cookbook is lovely isn't it?

      Delete
  14. That juicer looks interesting - I need to find a video to see it in action! Good luck with the upcoming surgery. Just think how great it will be once you can see on both sides again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the juicer takes a wee bit of effort but it's pretty easy to use. can't wait for proper vision at long long last!

      Delete
  15. I will never be able to understand these odd doctors who treat one part of the body and ignore everything else! And, in your case, one eye!

    I would love to browse through the book about old kitchen utensils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if i had paid a lot more money i could have had the eye op. sooner! but i'll just have to wait ...

      Delete
  16. I hope your eye surgery is a complete success, so you can see again! I love your antique soy sauce pourer, I've never seen one like it. Your new cookbook looks beautiful, I'd love to look at it. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can't wait till my next op.! Yes it's an interesting little soy sauce pourer. I do have another which is also super cute. Have a great November.

      Delete
  17. Sending you good thoughts for the next surgery. Love the art (as always). I've never seen a fluicer!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sherry, Hope your next eye op goes as well. So many doctors these days are captivated by their laptops. It might have a plastic lid, but your soy sauce pourer would still be very handy, love your cookbook, and the nostalgia of the kitchen utensils one. I wish I could relieve you of some of that artwork for a little while, you have your own gallery, and library I suspect like me, how wonderful. Take care my friend, we are hoping for a healthy 2024 like you, Mr. HRK has done it tough with this dreadful shingles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fromm Johanna @ https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/ - finally got my IMK linked. Good luck with your cataracts surgery - my mum had it done recently and found it made an amazing difference - no more coke bottle glasses! Sounds like the work on your cataracts going well so far. Those books and cordial and mustard look wonderful. Would love ideas for saffron as I still have some from an Iranian friend. Will your cordial be made with your fluicer next time? And I love minion bob - he is soooo cute - and also love Good omens - enjoyed the book more than the tv series but tv series had good moments.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.