Thursday 9 November 2023

Chocolate Ganache and Blackberry Bundt Cake

Is there anything better than a thick, dark chocolate river running down the sides of your freshly-baked cake?  'Course not!  Obviously, Charlotte Ree feels the same, as she has this delightful cake in her book Just Desserts.  I've made her lemon and olive oil cake a couple of times and it's a beauty, as was this one!

The bundt tin apparently originated with Nordic Ware in Minneapolis in the 1950s, and is based on the Kugelhopf tin.  Bundt is derived from 'bund', the German word for a gathering or federation of people.  I love saying that word!  I pronounce it the German way, not like 'bun'; I guess that's how mum taught us to say it.

I was at a cookbook chat at my fave bookshop recently, and the lovely Fiona who owns Avid Reader Books pronounced it the German way.  A couple of ladies across the aisle from me started whispering when they heard her say it like that.  'Interesting', says I  to myself.  'I guess they are of the 'bun' school of pronunciation.' 


let's hoe in now!

Serves 12:

ingredients:

250g./8.8 oz plain/all purpose flour

65g./2.3 oz Dutch-processed cocoa

3 tsp baking powder

170g./6 oz butter, softened (not melted) i.e. at room temp.

225g./8 oz brown sugar

2 large eggs, at room temp.

400 mL/14 oz milk

250g./8.8 oz blackberries or berries of your choice


Chocolate ganache:

150 mL/5 oz thickened cream

150g./5.3 oz dark chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped or broken up - see Notes


Method:

On goes your oven to 160C/320F to heat up

Grab your bundt tin and give it a good spray with non-stick spray, or do what I do - get Mr P. to grab the butter, and grease it really, really well, then throw around some plain flour to coat it really well

Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a medium bowl

Beat the butter and sugar till pale and fluffy (I used my electric handbeaters but use a stand mixer if you have one)

Add the milk and dry stuff bit by bit till nicely mixed, and spoon/pour into the baking tin

Bake for 50 minutes, or till your skewer comes out as clean as a ... clean thingy

Cool your cake right down! i.e. let it sit in the tin till cold

Then, heat up the cream and add it to the chocolate which is sitting in a small, heatproof bowl

Let it sit for a couple of minutes, then stir together well, and pour over the cake, which is now sitting on a plate of course

Place the fruit all over the top, and serve

Leftovers can sit in an airtight container for a couple of days (here in sunny QLD, it will go into the fridge)


Notes:

I suggest using Lindt chocolate or similar, as it is very easy to break up (just with your fingers) and melts so very easily


look at that batter!  I could swim in it ...

pour into the bundt pan/tin

and baked beautifully at 160C for 50 mins.

oops! a few sticky bits :=)

a glorious pool of ganache

throw on your berry of choice

I could bury my face in that!

lemme eat that now!




c. Sherry M.


(Disclaimer: I rewrote the prose of this recipe, so according to Australian copyright laws, I am not in breach!  Just for those nasty yobs who keep telling me I am!!)

46 comments:

  1. This is a seriously rich cake and any chocolate fan would surely love it! And definitely go for Lindt :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Lindt is the best for baking/cooking I find.

      Delete
  2. Oh Sherry this sounds absolutely delish!! I love berries and chocolate so will be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks sinfully delicious! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry- I wish I could come over for a slice of that decadent looking cake. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry — that looks ridiculously fantastic! I’ve never had a chocolate cake with fruit in the batter. In the filling, yes. Your creation is picture perfect. David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry, it's absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This Chocolate Ganache and Blackberry Bundt Cake looks absolutely delicious, and your description makes it even more tempting! The combination of a rich chocolate cake and the dark chocolate ganache is a chocolate lover's dream. Topping it off with blackberries adds a fruity, tangy balance to the sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! And I didn't know there was any other way to pronounce bundt. And who keeps telling you that you've infringed copyright?
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like bun or like boon (as in book, not oo). Some nasty Anon troll keeps having a go! I always re-write the prose so as not to infringe copyright.

      Delete
  9. That's a cute explanation of why it is called bundt cake. I guess a lot of people gather whenever there is cake around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. funny than an American company played around with a German word!

      Delete
  10. *soft laughter* 'Bund' or 'enclosed circle' or 'gathering' has such a simple connotation and I am trying to figure out how it can be mispronounced or understood ?' Perchance the 'variation' here does present a wee bit differently than known in all the countries where I have seen and, at times, enjoyed it :) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People often say it like a finger BUN, rather than the German way.

      Delete
  11. Wow - that's quite a cake! Chocolate and I probably would have used raspberries. Love using my bundt cake pan(s) - not sure how many I still have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a raspberry but this called for blackberries (which I also love) so I obeyed :=)

      Delete
  12. I've never baked a Bundt cake (I don't even have a pan), but I think I'm missing out a lot - perhaps, I should write a letter to Santa :) And this ganache? I can totally eat it on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never baked a Bundt cake (I don't even have a pan), but I think I'm missing out a lot - perhaps, I should write a letter to Santa :) And this ganache? I can totally eat it on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow! That cake looks fantastic, Sherry. The river of chocolate running down the sides caught my attention. Now that I think about it, everything should have a river of chocolate with it. Wouldn't that be great?? Love the blackberry addition here, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much David. Indeed a river of chocolate is always delightful.

      Delete
  15. Wow Sherry, your chocolate ganache and blackberry bundt cake, inspired by Charlotte Ree's delightful creations, sounds AND LOOKS like a decadent masterpiece! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. For some reason your site wouldn't accept my comment on IMK. So here it is...lovely cake by the way. I hope your eye surgery goes well, I went around with only one lens in my eyeglasses after my surgery. It produced lots of giggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn it. Blogger is such a cantankerous sod sometimes :) Thanks for commenting and thanks for the great idea about the spectacles.

      Delete
  17. Wow how many amazing chocolate cakes are there out there and how to choose? Yours looks superb with the blackberries, and their flavour would go perfectly with chocolate. That looks like a very seriously good ganache. Did you and Mr. P demolish the whole thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Pauline. Yep too true. so many fab choc cakes out there. I always give most of the stuff I bake to neighbours and friends.

      Delete
  18. Oh my gosh Sherry, this looks so good. Even the batter looks delicious, I'd definitely need to lick the beaters! The ganache looks amazing too. I love a good bundt tin - I've got a few of varying designs. They're just so pretty, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sammie. Yep nothing nicer than a bundt tin :=)

      Delete
  19. Looks and sounds lovely Sherry planning to make this one for friends birthday. I usually make her a beetroot chocolate cake but this will be a nice change

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.