Thursday 16 November 2023

Potato Chip Cookies

I have made a chocolate bark with salty, delicious potato chips/crisps before, so I was very happy to give this one a go for Cookbook Club.  I really enjoy a sweet and salty treat.  This recipe is from Baking Yesteryear by B. Dylan Hollis, one of my fave cooking YouTubers.  He is hilarious!

I rushed to buy his book when it came out recently (sounds familiar; he came out not that long ago) hehehe!  These are his tried and tested recipes from the 1900s to the 1980s.  And for a bit of hilarity, he includes a chapter at the end on the Worst of the Worst, including Prune Whip Pie and Pickle Cheesecake.  Oh me, oh my!  

Speaking of the worst - reminds me of the time my SIL stayed with us, and laboriously hand-chopped many nuts for baklava, and made a beautiful syrup to pour over ...  You guessed it; she picked up the salt instead of the sugar.  Catastrophe, my friends!


can't wait to eat 'em!

Makes 2 dozen:

ingredients:

170g./6 oz butter, softened

165g./6 oz dark brown sugar

100g./3.5 oz white sugar

2 large eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

230g./8 oz potato chips/crisps of your choice - crushed and divided into two lots

280g./10 oz plain flour

1 tsp bicarb-soda (baking soda)

1/4 tsp sea salt flakes

255g./9 oz chocolate chips - I chose dark but you choose


Method:

Cream together the butter and the sugars in a large bowl, till pale, light and fluffy

Beat in the eggs and vanilla

Stir in one half of the crushed chips

Grab a medium mixing bowl, and mix together the flour, bi-carb soda and salt

Stir this dry mix gently into your creamed butter and sugar, then kindly stir in the chocolate chips

Whack it in the fridge for at least an hour!

In the meantime, give the other half of your potato chips a really good belting so you end up with finer chips than before :=)

On goes your oven to 180C/350F

Dylan says to make rounded tablespoons of the dough (I used 2 spoons), and roll it happily in the crushed chips

Put the tablespoons of dough onto a large baking tray lined with baking paper, and bake for 11-15 minutes, or till the edges of the cookies are going brown (I say cookies rather than biscuits as that is what Dylan calls them, even though here in Australia we say biscuits; except for chocolate chip cookies!)


Notes:


beat the butter, sugar and eggs

beat those chips

and fold them into the dough

and in go the chocolate chips

ready for rolling in the twice-thrashed chips

spoons at the ready

rolled and coated in chips

looking tasty and super golden :=)

salty sweet treats

3 at once?  why not? :)



c. Sherry M.


he's so hilarious


(Joining up with Min from Write of the Middle blog for the ##WWWhimsy linkup.)

38 comments:

  1. They sound and look wonderful! Such a fun use of potato chips. Can you believe that I have never had a potato chip in my life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potato chips in chocolate chip cookies sounds quite nice. I wonder what part of the 20th century that recipe was supposed to be from. Chocolate chip cookies were invented in 1938, so presumably later than that.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, now I want to get this cookbook. I'm trying to quit. lol
    What is not to love about sweet, salty and chocolate? I'm sure they're delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep buying cookbooks too. It has to stop! :=)

      Delete
  4. That is a unique idea. They look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these Potato Chip Cookies sounds like an adventure for the taste buds! Sweet, salty, and a touch of nostalgia from the past, what a delightful mix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really unique. I've never heard of anything like it but I do love potato chips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of using chips in cookies. Can you taste them? And do they stay crunchy?
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they didn't have a massively chippy taste but they were good. yep they stayed crunchy-ish on the outside.

      Delete
  8. Just with a sincere hope your eye is lasting and you are not totally going arouiunf the bend! As I don't think I have ever bought a potato chip in my life or eaten a biscuit . . . well, I wish I could help . . . :) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Eha. Really? Never had a potato chip! or a biscuit. wow!!

      Delete
  9. Potato chip cookies have been on my "to make list" for some time - not sure it's the version you made. Love the idea of them in sandwiches too, or as a crunchy topping for mac and cheese - possibilities are endless :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds a wonderful cookie recipe Sherry! Must try it, have to love nostalgia, I love my mums old recipes.👌 😀

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherry one of my weaknesses is potato chips, so I try to not start eating them, because we know what happens, all gone. So there's no doubt I would love your biscuits, such a clever idea, I love the sweet and salty combo too. btw, I just opened up the follow it email I receive regularly and right at the bottom was your post and my latest one. So that's how I find your posts obviously, and mine are there too. I'll have to actually scroll through all of their emails now. I haven't always done that. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes what is it about chips? THe salt the fat the taste ... :) Yep I noticed quite some time ago that their emails often have more than one blog post!

      Delete
  12. I'm obsessed with the sweet salty combo. And the more potato chips in my life, the better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a great cookbook, Sherry. I never would have thought of using potato chips in a cookie recipe, but I do love the sweet and salty combination, so maybe I should give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great addition to a sweet recipe I find. Yep worth a go.

      Delete
  14. What a fun idea! I've used crumbled pretzels in cookies, but never crumbled chips. This needs to happen ASAP! And pickle cheesecake!? Really? Someone thought that was a good idea??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes pickle cheesecake! I promise never to give that one a go :=)

      Delete
  15. I love sweet and savoury/salty combinations in desserts, but I'm still a tad sceptical to try cookies with potato chips :) I must admit, though, they look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never heard of this guy! I've got to check him out on you tube. Your cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks joansy. Yes do check him out! he is fabulous.

      Delete
  17. From Johanna @ https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/
    These look so much fun. I tried a potato choc chip recipe years ago and I think it was a bit greasy and too crisp - these look great, especially the chip crumbs on the outside of the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sherry, those look so delicious and I do love potato chips too! This is one I'll have to try when I get a chance. Oh my gosh the baklava disaster! lol We actually had some of that for dessert the other night when we went to a greek restaurant for my twin son's birthday. Thanks for linking up with #WWWhimsy Enjoy the rest of your week! xo

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.