Tuesday 16 January 2024

Apple and Marzipan Tarts

I love a juicy, green Granny Smith apple for baking and cooking.  These wonderfully tart, crisp apples originated in Australia in 1868; they were propagated by the clever Maria Smith known as Granny due to her having eight children and (I guess) numerous grandchildren.

Here we have a recipe for Cookbook Club (I made this in October 2023!) from Roberta Muir's Be Inspired - Food Wine Travel - website.  I have adapted it slightly, to include chocolate-coated marzipan, and extra flavourings - i.e. the vanilla and rum.

Funnily enough, I was never a fan of marzipan in my younger days, until I devoured delicious Mozartkugeln in Salzburg while wandering through Mozart's house.  I am also a fan of Ritter Sport's marzipan.  All that dark chocolate and soft almondy paste ...  

So many memories of Salzburg: staying at a guesthouse called Zum Junger Fuchs, opposite a church which rang its bells very often.  You had to pay (a lot) extra to have a shower downstairs, so I'm afraid we didn't!!  We hired a motorbike (scary for Mr P. as the rider!), and rode to a nearby lake (being wary of the white swans).  As many readers will know, we have black swans here in Australia rather than white, so that was interesting.  And how could I forget the Sound of Music Tour?  It was actually delightful!


sweet, golden and crispy!


Makes 4:

ingredients:

4-5 tsp lemon juice

2 Tbs caster sugar or 1 Tbs light brown sugar

2 small apples or 1 large - Granny Smiths are great here

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp rum

2 sheets of frozen butter-puff pastry, thawed a wee bit

100g. marzipan - I used chocolate-coated!

2 Tbs apricot jam with a dash more vanilla and rum, for glazing

whipped cream, to serve


Method:

Grab a small mixing bowl, and stir the lemon juice and sugar together, then stir in the vanilla and rum

Peel, slice and roughly dice the apple(s) - sans core!

Mix the diced apple with the lemon juice mixture, and set aside till needed

Cut the marzipan into very thin slices

Cut each of the slightly-thawed sheets of pastry into quarters, and place them on a baking-paper-lined tray   see Notes 

Place marzipan slices down the centre of four of the pastry squares, leaving a 1cm gap around the edges

Take the drained apple, and place some on top of each of the marzipan-laced pastry squares

Fold the four remaining pastry squares in half length-wise

Then take a small, sharp knife and cut 4 or 5 (or 6) diagonal slits into the pastry   see the photos!

Unfold the pastry, so you end up with each square having two vertical ladders of several slits running down them

Firmly but carefully press one of the slitty squares over each of the appley squares, till you have formed a delicious little pocket of fruity, chocolate-marzipan pastry

Put 'em in the fridge for 20 minutes, then bake at 220C/430F for about 20 minutes till nicely golden

Put the jam, vanilla and rum into a small saucepan, heat gently till smooth, then brush over the tops of the tarts

Serve with whipped cream if you fancy


Notes:

Keep the pastry cold, and only take it out of the fridge when you're going to use it as it can be very difficult to handle when completely thawed



where's the marzipan? :=)

squeeeeze that lemon

and dice that apple

find that marzipan

and slice it thinly

place the marzipan slices over the pastry squares

diced apple goes over the marzipan; add the slits to the tops of the folded pastry

fold the pastry in half, and add the diagonal slits

unfold the pastry; place the tops over the apple filling

golden, crunchy, and chocolatey

let 'em cool on the rack

and eat happily, pastry flakes a-flying




black swan at Oxenford (image by EllieRH)



c. Sherry M.

Joining up with Min from Write of the Middle blog #WWWhimsy

36 comments:

  1. I love baking with Granny Smith apples as well. I'm not a huge fan of Marzipan but probably haven't had the good stuff. This dessert is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about marzipan. Took me years to love it :)

      Delete
  2. wow these turned out so beautiful and absolutely droolworthy with marzipan filling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. thanks Melynda. They turned out well I reckon.

      Delete
  4. Yum.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both flavors must be fantastic. I'll have one of each. I must be an oddball: i loved MARZIPAN from my first taste of it.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mae. You are very sensible; took me years to figure it out that marzipan is so delicious!

      Delete
  6. My mom loves marzipan, and she will love this.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any recipe out of the Roberta Muir stable is always worth trying! Think of her previous fascinating cookery school at the Sydney Fish Market! Oh, we always stayed at the 'zum Goldener Hirsch' in Getreidegasse in Salzburg and, yes, the bells rang every 15 minutes. When we began taking our small daughters along on most of our business travel we went some kilometres out to 'Schloss Sighartstein', a castle having to take in residential guests . . . rather fascinating . . . your baking looks lovely to those who do love baked goods . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was amazing to look over at the church which was literally facing us across the road and listen to the beautiful bells! thanks Eha. I know you don't have a sweet tooth :)

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh Sherry, these look SO good! I never used to really like marzipan when I was a kid but I've grown to appreciate it with age! So are there no white swans in Australia?! How did I not know that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sammie I guess there might be some introduced white swans here :) Yep marzipan is fab!!

      Delete
  9. Oh, so many things to talk about in this post! First, we have both black and white swans here, though mostly white. Either way, they can be pretty nasty, especially for a bird that is supposed to be so graceful!

    I never knew the history of the Granny Smith apple! Don’t take it personally, but I don’t really like Granny Smith apples. I rarely use them for baking or eating. Funny how we have specific tastes like that, isn’t it? I generally prefer to use a sweeter apple and reduce the sugar. Now, that said, if someone gave me a bag of Granny Smith, apples, I would make good use of them!

    Salzburg! Probably one of my favorite cities in Europe. I absolutely love the place, and the Mozart candies, too! I can never get enough marzipan. There was a small pastry shop in Heidelberg (where I lived one summer) that had balls of marzipan that were rolled in cocoa powder, and then carved to look like rose blossoms. So good!

    I definitely want to try making these little tarts! The combination of apple and marzipan must be incredible… It might also be worth trying with pears? Oh, so much to bake, so little time!

    Thanks for a lovely post! David (C & L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi David
      yes I guess some black swans may have been introduced to other countries as they are native to Australia. I rarely eat Granny's (yes apostrophe is correct here) but I do use them in cooking as they suit most recipes very well. Do give these a try; they are so tasty. cheers S.

      Delete
  10. Oh my gosh, these tarts sound like pure magic! Granny Smith and chocolate-coated marzipan, Definitely giving these a whirl sometime soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeed the apple and marzipan went well together.

      Delete
  11. Hello Sherry they look delicious do you have a cookbook club if so how does it work?

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound (and look) absolutely delicious, Sherry! I have no idea why, but marzipan is still on the fringes here in the States. We can find it, but usually it takes some hunting. And I don't think I've ever come across chocolate-coated marzipan...but I bet regular marzipan would be delicious in these tarts, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you David. Thank goodness we can find marzipan in our grocery stores very readily :) Yep the recipe calls for regular marzipan but I love it with chocolate.

      Delete
  13. We enjoy Granny smith apples both to just eat and cook with. And you only made 4 of them? I guess that's a safe option. I love marzipan, and using the chocolate stuff is a great idea. Where did you find it Sherry? All our Christmas cakes used to be iced with marzipan, back in the day, because Mum iced cakes,I even enjoyed that. Yes we loved Salzburg, and the Mozart house, no marzipan that I remember though, and beautiful music concerts with the orchestra dressed i period costumes. Such a heavenly place. I will make these tarts when I can find the marzipan. They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes best not to make too many! I just buy it in Woolies or Coles; you can find it in the overseas/foreign section.

      Delete
  14. Hi Sherry, oh how I wish I had one of your tarts just now to go with my coffee. I'm not a baker but this one might be doable for this old guy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes Ron this is pretty easy. Thanks for commenting! I know Blogger is a pain sometimes in that regard.

      Delete
  15. What a lovely dessert, Sherry. Puff pastry and marzipan? No way that isn't delicious. You know I lived in Vienna for two years but never made it to Salzburg. My bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh what a shame Frank. Salzburg is amazing!

      Delete
  16. Hi Sherry, Oh My Gosh you're speak'n my language here! I adore pastries and I love anything with apple in it! I don't think I've ever had a pastry with marizipan in it let alone chocolate coated marzipan but you have me intrigued! I'd love to try these. Only problem is I'd want to eat them all! They look so yum! Thanks for linking up with the very first #WWWhimsy of 2024. Have a great weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choc-coated marzipan is the bees' knees :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.