Wednesday 24 January 2024

Salty Lemon Shortbread

Preserved, salty lemons in biscuits?  "Are you mad?"  You may well ask, as many people have done before (hehehe).  I have a couple of homemade jars of them in my fridge, made with organic lemons from our friends' Hobart garden.  Happily for us, they often bring some up with them when they visit.    

This is from Alison Roman's Sweet Enough; she is a New York-based cook and author of several cookbooks.  And yes, I made this for Cookbook Club!  Apparently, preserved lemons and anchovies (not necessarily together) are her fave little pops of flavour.  So she had to add them here, as they give "a jammy, floral, salty bop of flavour".  And yes it does, my friends. 

It is currently 36C/97F this afternoon as I am making this.  Thank heavens for air conditioning!  We are expecting a cyclone this week up North, so we might feel the after-effects here in Brisbane, too.  I just went for a quick walk as the sun is going down, and the temperature has dropped a bit.  Phew, still hard work heading up that hill!  My neighbour and I waved at each other from opposite sides of the road.  We seem to walk at the same time every day! 


can you see the cat's head?  (under the flowers) Photos courtesy Pia B.

This is Dolce, our neighbour's deaf, white cat!

She knows how to keep cool.  Jump into a metallic bowl that will be nice and cool from sitting in air con all day!  If only I could find myself a big enough bowl :=)

  

Makes 24 (at least; I made 33 wee bars)

ingredients:

zest of 3 lemons - place zest of one lemon into a small bowl, and the zest of the other two into another bowl

55g./2 oz caster sugar plus 165g./6 oz caster sugar

a hearty pinch of sea salt flakes

280g./10 oz butter (unsalted if you wish)

30g./1 big oz icing sugar (powdered sugar)

1/2 preserved lemon, without the seeds, and finely chopped

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp vanilla extract

325g./11.5 oz plain flour


Method:

On goes your oven to 180C/350F, and line a baking tray with baking paper   see Notes

Take the small bowl of lemon zest, and add the 55g. of sugar and a good pinch of salt

Rub it all together with your fingers till the sugar is slightly yellow and smells fabulously lemony

Grab yourself a cake batter bowl (medium-large mixing bowl) and beat up the butter, icing sugar, the larger amount (165g.) of sugar, the zest of the 2 lemons, preserved lemon, salt and vanilla till very light and fluffy - about 3-5 minutes  see Notes

Slowly beat in the flour, till just blended (use a spatula to scrape down the sides now and then)

Now you are going to spoon/tip the dough into the lined baking tray, and pat it down with the bottom of a glass, or your gloved palm so you have a nicely even layer of shortbread

Then you grab a fork and give it a good pricking all over the top (why? Dunno!), then sprinkle the lemony sugar over the dough, pressing it into the surface

Shove into the oven for 30-35 minutes; you want the dough to be nicely browned on the top, bottom and edges, firm to the touch (but slightly malleable, says Alison)

Leave to rest for a few minutes, then take the shortbread out of the tray, lifting it with the baking paper

Cut into the shapes and sizes of your desire (Alison suggests 7.5cm/3 inch pieces), or 2.5cm/1 inch wedges if baked in the cake tins

Leave it cool completely (Alison says they are better the next day.  Yep, that's right.)

I think a nice, very lemony icing would go well here too!  You could make up some icing sugar and lemon juice, and let it drip all over your shortbreads


Notes:

Use a 23cm x 33cm (9 in x 13 inch) tray or two x 23cm/9 inch cake tins

You can use electric hand beaters, or whizz it up in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment


ingredients gathered

rub the zest into the sugar

look at that lovely salty lemon!

gently add in the flour till just mixed

press the dough into the baking tin, and scatter over the lemon/sugar mix

beautifully brown

hoe in!


Joining in with Min from Writes in the Middle blog linkup. #WWWhimsy


c. Sherry M.

48 comments:

  1. This looks delicious Sherry!! I love lemon. I'll have to give this a try this summer. The cat is SO cute!! They do know how to find comfortable spaces don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i always have lemons in my fridge! and yes cats are very clever. they know how to stay cool and comfortable :)

      Delete
  2. That cute kitty! I love the combo of sweet and salted..these shortbread cookies look fantastic with that the crunchy lemony sugar topping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she is cute and a bit naughty. Yep the crunchy topping was fabulous.

      Delete
  3. That is a smart cat indeed. Cute photo!

    I would rather the cold than that heat. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes this heat and humidity wears you down!

      Delete
  4. I actually made a batch of salty preserved lemons recently! So I know this shortbread is really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love having a batch of preserved lemons in the fridge! great for savoury dishes.

      Delete
  5. Did You say how they taste? I might have it that. It is curious putting preserved lemon in a shortbread. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they were sweet so i didn't really notice the salty lemons but it gave an underlying delicious taste to the shortbread.

      Delete
  6. Haha it took me a few secs to find the cat in the photos - so cute! I love shortbread, and this version looks and sounds fantastic! And as for preserved lemons, this additional sounds intriguing rather than bizarre - I would love to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree Ben - intriguing and interesting addition.

      Delete
  7. Haha it took me a few secs to find the cat in the photos - so cute! I love shortbread, and this version looks and sounds fantastic! And as for preserved lemons, this additional sounds intriguing rather than bizarre - I would love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha it took me a few secs to find the cat in the photos - so cute! I love shortbread, and this version looks and sounds fantastic! And as for preserved lemons, this additional sounds intriguing rather than bizarre - I would love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds divine. And the cat is too cute. I hope the storms are not too bad this time around. We are in for a scorcher today so it will be the pool for me this afternoon.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks tandy. The cyclone is getting nearer up north. Hold on to your hats!

      Delete
  10. Yum, the shortbread looks delicious and I love the idea of adding preserved lemon. I have one preserved lemon left from last year’s batch so I fully intended using it for this recipe. Thank you for all your interesting posts which I look forward to receiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh that looks good! I love the idea of the sweet and saltiness and anything lemon gets my vote. It's hard to imagine you being so hot when we're so cold! Yay for aircon and radiators eh?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sammie. yes salty sweet is a fave of mine. Thank heavens for air con!!

      Delete
  12. That's a good use for my preserved lemons! (They're so salty, I've been contemplating pitching them!) It sounds delicious and pretty easy to make, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jeanie
      just give your lemons a rinse off, and scoop out the flesh. I'm sure you know you only use the skin!

      Delete
  13. Cat in a bowl! :-) These lemon squares sound absolutely delightful, Sherry - perfect for a hot summer day. (Although I wouldn't complain about them on a winter day either!) As far as the preserved lemons and anchovies, I was really afraid that the salty part of this recipe came from the anchovies....you had me worried there for a minute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you David. hehehe that would be funny! Lemons AND anchovies in a biscuit !

      Delete
  14. What I need to do is to make some preserved lemons. Unfortunately they don't grow anywhere near us. Your 97° weather isn't really appealing, but it beats our constant snow ice freezing rain and dark clouds.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes a great idea Mae. Homemade is best. It's a bit cooler here as of yesterday thank goodness.

      Delete
  15. Love the cat photos! The shortbreads look great — I think I would use the preserved lemon and skip any additional salt — I prefer a sweeter shortbread (personality defect?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet surprisingly these biscuits are not too salty :=) We all have our preferences and that's just absolutely perfectly fine!

      Delete
  16. Love preserved lemons and the biscuits look delicious. Dolce is beautiful and very smart xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Anon. She is indeed beautiful but extremely naughty :)

      Delete
  17. I love making and eating shortbread Sherry and I have some preserved lemons in my frig, I'm adding this to my list of bakes. It looks delicious. As I write this, we are expecting the real effects of Cyclone Kirrily tonight, much more than you will experience i
    I think but no-one never knows with these systems. It keeps changing it's mind slightly this one. Hoping we don't lose power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wishing you well Pauline. Hopefully the cyclone blows itself out quickly. Yes weirdly sunny and blue here!

      Delete
  18. I've got to get some preserved lemons, or make them. I've never had them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing this delightful and delicious post! I hope you and your neighbor enjoy some cool breezes and delicious those Salty Lemon Shortbread after the cyclone passes, keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are fine here thanks Raymund. The cyclone is up north and heading inland already. cheers.

      Delete
  20. Sherry, these little lemon bars sound delicious! We have to try this wonderful recipe soon, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sherry, this dessert sounds incredible. I woke up with lemons on my mind today because my little Meyer tree has a handful I should pick. :-) Your cat is darling!! :-) ~Valentina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meyer lemons are very handy. Yep Dolce is cute - but naughty.

      Delete
  22. Hi Sherry - that shortbread looks delicious but that cat has stolen the show (animal lover here). They are clever things aren't they. They find the cool spots. I can't wait for Autumn! Thanks for linking up with #WWWhimsy - take care! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes she is a funny cat. Gets her human mum up at all hours of the night :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.