Tuesday 9 January 2024

Snowball Cookies/Biscuits

I am a big fan of Desiree Nielsen, the Canadian dietitian who posts recipes and dietary advice on Instagram.  She also writes cookbooks, has a podcast, her own cooking show, and her own private practice.  Phew!  She is one busy, interesting and informative person.  

Her recipes are tasty and good for you too.  I came upon this gluten-free recipe of hers, and since I had the ingredients, I set to and made it before Christmas.  Her version is vegan as it uses coconut oil, but that's the devil's work, so I used butter!  Butter makes everything better, don't you know? :=)

Hope you all had a wonderful festive season.  We have had lots of storms and rain, and some flooding around the place.  All fine here now, but more rain on the way though.  Interesting news already this year with Prince Frederik about to become the King of Denmark.  Of course we Aussies feel invested in this, since the Queen-to-be is from Tasmania!       


Santa about to enjoy his biscuits/cookies


Makes 10-12:

ingredients:

100g./3.5 oz pecans, divided into 65g. and 35g. - so just divvy them up into 2/3 and 1/3 of the nuts

85g./3 oz (1 cup, says Desiree) almond meal, or meal of your choice - I used hazelnut 'cos it was in the fridge already

1 Tbs (15g.) arrowroot flour (aka tapioca flour)   see Notes

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

3 Tbs (45g.) butter or coconut oil, melted

2 Tbs maple syrup (or syrup of your fancy)

2 tsp vanilla extract or paste

icing sugar, or coconut milk powder, or chocolate hail for rolling them when baked


Method:

On goes your oven to heat at 160C/325F

Line a baking tray with baking paper

Throw 2/3 of the pecans into your food processor and grind into powder

Finely chop (or do a very quick blitz in the processor) the rest of the pecans

Tip into a medium bowl with the nut meal, arrowroot, baking powder and salt - give it all a good mix

Add the butter, maple syrup and vanilla into the bowl, and give it another good mix

Use a tablespoon or ice cream scoop to grab up the dough, roll up into a ball and place on your baking paper-lined tray

Bake for 13-15 minutes (mine took 18) till lightly browned on the bottom and starting to crack on the top

Let 'em cool right down on the baking tray, then roll them in icing sugar (or cocoa powder?) or maybe in chocolate hail - not sure that it would stick but worth a go.  You could even drop them into melted chocolate, and then roll in chocolate hail (just don't tell Desiree)


Notes:

I didn't have any arrowroot flour, so I subbed in cornflour.  You can also use rice flour instead


stir everything in

here's your dough ready to go

onto the tray for baking at 160C/325F

let 'em cool right down

make sure Santa doesn't grab the lot for his Christmas treats :=)


c. Sherry M.

20 comments:

  1. These are so different from the snowball cookies we have here. I’ll like yours much better, I think! And, yes, butter does make everything better! David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never had snowball cookies made with pecans. They look super addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy Sherry, and I like that the pecans are ground up. Chopped nuts and I don't agree on lots of things. I think we're going to be seeing a lot more about Mary in the ensuing months. She has done so well, but good luck to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Mary is amazing. Such an incredible person.

      Delete
  4. These look good, and such a nice simple bake.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Tandy. Very easy and delicious.

      Delete
  5. OK! Thanks! Altho' I lean towards the fruit/vegetable world but am not vegetarian and hate diets - well, I am subscribed to Desiree Nielsen as of 10 minutes ago . . . four of her posts landed in my box immediately . . . a very lively teacher . . . shall see how I go . . . certainly interesting! AND, I may have been born in Estonia and lived most of my life in Australia but have been to Denmark some dozen times and would so love to live there. Am not joking - am learning a little Danish . . . and so, so, so love Princess Mary's speech-making style - listen half a dozen times and try copy !!! She is a hugely hard-working lady and will emulate her MIL. Neither actually has it easy . . . blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love Desiree! she has a new book coming out soon. Yes Queen Mary is fabulous!

      Delete
  6. These look pretty. I'll have to share with a GF friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look different from the snowball cookies I'm used to but still look delicious as all cookies do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes anything sweet and crunchy is delicious.!

      Delete
  8. This version is so different than the snowball cookies I make, but I like the way it sounds. The nut meal would give these great flavor! And I couldn't agree with you more - Butter is the way to go here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeed the nut meal gave a great flavour to these.

      Delete
  9. Your snowball cookie adventure with Desiree's recipe sounds delightful. Butter over coconut oil – you rebel, you! I totally get it, there's just something about butter that makes things pure magic. And hazelnut meal instead of almond? Intriguing twist! Can't wait to hear how they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes butter is always best I reckon. And using part almond and part hazelnut meal was a winner!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.