Monday 1 January 2024

In My Kitchen - January 2024

Greetings, Earthlings!   No, hang on, that's Marvin the Martian.  Happy New Year, my Earthling friends.  Phew, I feel like I just got through 2023 by the skin of my teeth.  So 2024, I'm looking at you to be a whole lot more palatable.  I hope your festive season was a wondrous one, dear blogging friends.  

Mr P. and I had a very quiet Christmas Day on our own, having a delicious roast chook for lunch, followed by a big nap (for him) and some reading for me.  I got a few books for Christmas, including one called Brisbane Bookshops, and Jamie Oliver's latest.  Oh yes, and we had big storms over the east coast, with golf ball-sized hail in some parts.  That's an Aussie Christmas for you.  (Edit: there have been some deaths due to the storms.  Sad days.)

This will be a quick In My Kitchen post; too much to do over the break, don't you know? :=)  We are heading away for a few nights, and I will finally get to see the Museum that hubby designed at Murgon.  So here we go ...


In My Kitchen:


the cutest ceramic fish plate by our mate NatPop

I buy a box every Christmas of Patrice's biodynamic garlic

and I make a batch of mango chutney

I made caramelised red onion jam

I love a terrific condiment

I pickled some cucumbers - my best batch yet, I reckon :=)

there was Persian rice with dill made by our dear friend Ms. Atee

She is also a clever architect, artist, wife and mum.  And a lovely person to boot.


I grabbed a couple of books by our friend Mel

Mel runs a very successful cooking school here in Brisbane called Vanilla Zulu.  She is from Zimbabwe via South Africa, and often pops up on morning television these days.  And she's punched out half a dozen cookbooks in her spare (hehehe) time.


I made citrus cordial

yep, and bought another cookbook

some Christmas gifts

not exactly in my kitchen, but ... my latest foodie bookmarks

I do a few different ones several times a year.  These are my Christmas ones that I hand out willy-nilly to all and sundry :=)


the curveball! Yep a ceramic skull

This is a (prize-winning) ceramic skull by our friend Starr.  She has recently moved studios, so we headed along to one of her open days.  Where I saw this fabulous skull, which I had to have.  It's a ripper!


Crumbs, this post is a bit longer than I envisaged.  And there are heaps more Christmas gifts to show off.  Oh well, February ...


c. Sherry M.


Be a part of our friendly IMK community by adding your post here too - everybody welcome!  We'd love to have you visit.  Tell us about your kitchen (and kitchen garden) happenings over the past month.  Dishes you've cooked, preserves you've made, herbs and veg. in your garden, kitchen gadgets, and goings-on.  And one curveball is welcome - whatever you fancy; no need to be kitchen-related.  

The link is open from the first of the month to midnight on the thirteenth of the month, every month.

Options for adding your post to IMK:

1. Add via the Add Link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under the Add your IMK link OR:

2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it manually to the list below OR:

3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process, or if you would like it to be added after the 13th ('cos I'm happy to add it for you later)


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

48 comments:

  1. Happy New Year.
    It looks like December was a wonderful month in your kitchen. How do you like Jamie Olivers new book? I thought about getting it.
    LOVE the skull. It's gorgeous.
    I hope 2024 is a year filled with health and happiness for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy new year Lori. I haven't read thru Jamie's book yet so i can't give an opinion :=) He usually does good stuff. Yes indeed love that skull! Wishing you all the best for 2024.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Sorry about those storms for Christmas! Everything looks so good but your neighbors Persian rice ring really calls to me! Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year and hoping I can find some things to share for January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and we had more storms :) Oh yes that rice ring was sublime! I must get our friend's recipe. Happy new year to you!

      Delete
  3. Can't believe that it's already 2024...I stopped buying cookbooks a couple of years ago as I have never got around and to read all of them. I still have some frozen mangos that need to be used up soon...chutney sounds like a perfect idea. Happy New Year, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy new year angie. I started buying cookbooks a couple of years ago when i joined 2 cookbook clubs!! Eek. my shelves ...

      Delete
  4. Your December looks pretty good after all! It is sad about the effects of the storms — really serious weather damage is happening in so many places this year!

    Have a wonderful year in 2024 and thanks for hosting or another year.
    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad we are now in 2024. happy new year to you. more storms a-coming ...

      Delete
  5. Your kitchen is filled with so many good things. My husband would be very envious of your Patrice's biodynamic garlic. He iw always complaining about the quality of the garlic at our market. Enjoy your time away. Wishing you all the best this New Year. Karen (Back Road Journal)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks karen. yes i like to get my year's supply of garlic in every christmas. All the best to you too.

      Delete
  6. I love that fish plate! May 2024 hold all that you need xx
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, a big fond hello and piles of good wishes and even better health for a way better year than 'that' last one . . . Lots of lovely goodies on show but want to find out more about that garlic and have my genie borrow Katrina Meynink's book . . . interesting! Hope the eye ops are past history, husband darling well also and that your abode is kind;of weather-proof . . . . that was all Queensland needed !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Eha. Best wishes to you too. You can buy Patrice's garlic online as I do every November! She also does olive oil now and then when the trees have enough fruit :) We are both doing fine and apart from lots of rain, we are Aokay. Keep dry!

      Delete
  8. Lots of lovely things - and I love those bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Cheer Sherry! Sounds like you had a very delicious Christmas - you know Aussie weather is serious when it makes UK news. May the weather gods look favourably upon you on your getaway. So much goodness in your kitchen this month, your pickles look like the real deal! Have a great month and a spectacular year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sammie. Yes the weather is awful atm. Flooding and drownings and roads closed a bit south of us. we are okay here tho it is very wet. Hoping for drier weather on the weekend. And yes i really like those pickles. Happy NY to you.

      Delete
  10. that ceramic skull!!!!! OMG it is amazing! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been busy! Love the fish plate - I tend to collect "fish" items in my kitchen. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i was surprisingly busy last month. Yep i love fishy and prawny things too. Happy NY.

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year, Sherry! Yes, I hope this one is much better for you. I fear we in the United States are up for one of the worst (politically). I just want to go to sleep and wake up on 2025! Love your fish platter and that inion jam looks TDF! Have great fun at the museum -- and we look forward to a virtual tour once you are back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks david. same to you. Yep hoping for a good one and we are scared about your elections too! keep dry! (hehehe - it is pouring here).

      Delete
  13. I love the title Salt to Jam - I’ll have to look into it! Lots of good things coming out of your kitchen this year. Can’t wait to see what you have next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i like this book! i love making condiments etc. Here's to a great year!

      Delete
  14. Happy New Year Sherry and Mr P! It sure is a wet start to the year but I'm sure sunny days will bear down on us soon enough xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Anon. Crumbs yes it is so so wet! And I bet we are complaining about the lack of rain in the not-too distant future :)

      Delete
  15. Yum! Wishing you and yours all the best for this new year, dear Sherry, hope it's a good one!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much amalia. and the same to you for this year. xx

      Delete
  16. Happiest of New Year wishes to you Sherry! May 2024 be more peaceful for you.
    As always, lots of good things in your kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Velva. So far 2024 is being ... interesting...

      Delete
  17. Happy New Year to you and Mr. P! 2024 has to be better than 2023!! :-) Also, Marvin the Martian is one of my all-time favorite cartoon characters. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. Fingers crossed for a better year. So many people have had a shocking 2023. Yes gotta love Marvin!

      Delete
  18. Oh, the caramelized red onion jam looks fantastic! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year Sherry, so many lovely condiments, you've been busy, I must make some of the onion jam. They all stretch a meal beautifully and tastefully don't they? I'm cooking but not getting much posting done, that's January for you with a bit of travel thrown in. I'll try and do a quick IMK as well. Not sure which kitchen I'll be in at the time though.....Take care my friend. Oh love the fish plate, the skull, all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i really enjoy making and eating condiments. I am about to make another batch of pickled cukes too. They disappeared so quickly. Yes i adore that skull! happy january.

      Delete
  20. Glad you and the hubby had a relaxing and enjoyable Christmas together Sherry. Here's wishing you both a healthy and happy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Neil. Hope you did too. Hoping 2024 is a good one.

      Delete
  21. Happy New Year Sherry - so grateful you are keeping this event going even when you are busy like this month - partly because I love the event and also because I always love to see what is in your kitchen. That fish bowl is cute and all that preserving is so impressive. I am intrigued by the cranberry and white chocolate pud, but wary of that spice and just love your bookmarks and that you distribute them to everyone! Glad your Christmas had good food and good reading time. Sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and happy new year to you Johanna. I do love hosting IMK and am grateful for all the lovely contributors. thanks re my bookmarks. Have a fine 2024!

      Delete
  22. Sometimes holidays with just two are more relaxing. Your bookmarks are fabulous. I was just noticing the cute little crustacean on your header. Hope 2024 brings you lots of blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Debra. I do enjoy putting my bookmarks together. Yep I like my prawn too :)

      Delete
  23. Nothing wrong with more new cookbooks!! Happy New Year. I hope 2024 is good to you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anyway, Happy New Year. You can never have too many cookbooks and that one looks like a keeper. I love chutneys of all types.

    Thank you for continuing to host IMK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy 2024 to you too. I really enjoy making chutneys, probably more than eating them :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.