Tuesday 6 August 2013

Baking for the Fair

This weekend past was the annual Art Fair for the local hospice Karuna.   The director is a Buddhist nun, and they strive to provide counselling and care as per the teachings of the Dalai Lama- which is to serve others with compassion and kindness.   The main building is a historic Queensland home, originally built in the 1850's, and adapted over the years for various purposes.
I volunteered to do a bit of baking for the food stall.  So I made hazelnut macaroons-NOT macarons,  and raspberry muffins.  The macaroons could not be simpler;  and only 5 ingredients.   I found this recipe in my folder of magazine cuttings;  it may be from Delicious or another Aussie food mag.  

Hazelnut macaroons

Ingredients:

180g hazelnut meal
200g caster sugar
2 egg whites 
1 tsp vanilla extract  (I used Daintree Vanilla)
100g dark chocolate, melted

Method:

Place the first 4 ingredients in a food processor and blitz till a smooth paste.   Put tablespoons of the mixture on a greased and lined baking tray, and whack them into a 180C oven for 15 minutes till firm and lightly golden.   Cool them on a rack.
When completely cool,  drizzle the chocolate over the macaroons and leave till set. 




2 comments:

  1. I love hazelnuts and a macaroon made one sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Nik! I always add hazelnut meal instead of almond where appropriate, but this recipe actually uses hazelnut meal which is great. They are tasty little morsels.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.