Friday 7 February 2014

peanut butter pie

I must have been an American in a former life cos I just love peanut butter pie!  I grew up in Melbourne where it was peanut butter but here in Queensland where I live, it is definitely peanut paste which I think sounds like some kind of wallpaper glue.  But anyway...it tastes great.  I usually buy Aussie brands if possible but this time I saw a new item on the shelf which had no sugar or salt added so I had to try it even though it is one of those dreadful foreign-owned companies.  And it is a marked difference in taste;  clearly it would have to be better for you but may take some getting used to for the average punter, including myself. So let's ignore the cream cheese, cream etc that make up this pie and pretend that we are eating something incredibly healthy and good for you!  I have an old clipping from an American magazine from many moons ago (this harks back to a former (brief) life in the USA) which has a recipe from Eagle brand condensed milk.  You can still find this recipe on the Net, which is pretty much the same as the one I have.  And I have found a version-here-which seems to be the same.  I spent a bit of time working out the conversions to metric as I hate using cup measurements for things like peanut butter.  What crazy person would ever shove peanut butter into a cup?  So here are my adjustments to the recipe:

For the choc crust-

75g of butter
1 cup (170g) of dark choc chips
2.5 cups Rice Bubbles

Melt the chocolate and butter together and stir into the rice cereal.  Mix well and push into a greased 9 inch pie plate (whatever that is in metric) and leave in the fridge for an hour before filling.

for the filling-

1 packet (250g) of Philly cream cheese left out of the fridge for a bit so it gets squidgy
1 can condensed milk
195g of peanut butter (see- no cups)
3 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (250 mls) thickened cream
2 tbs chocolate syrup

Beat up the cheese till fluffy; throw in the condensed milk and peanut butter and beat them in; then add the lemon juice and vanilla.  Now fold your lovingly whipped cream into the mixture- gently!; bung it all into the pie plate, and for that last touch, swirl the syrup around the top of the pie.  Chuck in the fridge for a few hours till firm.  And eat-with gusto.

what could be better than butter and chocolate?

ready to mix together

unctuous

pie crust ready to be chilled for an hour before filling

that looks so good I could eat it straight out of the bowl

dah dah!  all finished and just needs chilling till firm.



1 comment:

  1. I've never seen a rice bubbles crust. Americans would call them rice krispies anyway but I think this is a great pie! I was definitely an American in a past life (century) :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.