Sunday 1 April 2018

In My KItchen - April 2018

Do I even bother to say it?  Yes I will.  How the heck did it get to be April already?  And Easter, and soon to be hubby's big birthday...  What do you get the bloke who says he wants nothing for his birthday?  And no party, and no shenanigans.  Mm, we shall see.  At least if I do arrange something, I know he will be oblivious to it.  

I remember a number of years ago, I organised a surprise dinner for him with about a dozen friends at an Indian restaurant.  I had to pretend to ring up and book the restaurant while he was in the room, as though it were a sudden decision.  He didn't have a clue.  AND, we were away that weekend camping, and I had to hurry him along to get back in time, as we were a couple of hours away from home.  I guess there are some benefits to being married to a very literal-minded fellow:=)


my old-time phone doodle

And now onto In My Kitchen this month.  This is just a gentle reminder folks - please let me know if you've done an IMK post.  I often find myself dawdling happily through your lovely blogs, only to see you have done a post, but forgotten to tell me or add the link.  (Sorry Shari, not having a go at you).  The link now goes till 3 pm on the 11th of each month, as I want to give overseas bloggers till their 10th day.  Oh, and I am fine with adding your link myself; please just let me know.   


In my kitchen:



more goodies from Tasmania


On our recent Tassie trip, we visited an antiques shop where I got the bone-handled cake knife.  And I bought this lovely wooden spoon at Salamanca market.  They have such gorgeous woods down there; this is a beautiful sassafras wood stirrer/spatula.




cute little EVOO bottle



I do love Italian olive oil, though I usually only buy Australian - you know, the whole local and regional thing.  But this little bottle was irresistible!  And the jars come in terracotta and yellow too.  I confessed to Mr P. that I might have to buy them all.




lovely charcoal grey cup


On our trip to Ballina last week, we visited our potter mate Miss B. from Red Door Studio, and I came home with this little grey beauty.  Isn't she a clever little sausage?  




love this gourmet salt


This is a tasty mix of salt and pepper and herbs, all made down in Byron Bay, where the hippies reign supreme.  Well, they did till the Hollywood set moved in again.  So now we have Hollywood hippies!?




oh boy, another cookbook


I'd heard of this blogger and seen her book in the online stores, but had never really checked her out, till the other day.  She is an interesting mix of Jewish and Chinese; married to a Mid-West beet farmer, and now lives out in the (U.S.) sticks.  She even has to make her own takeaways (poor wee thing), as they are not near shops.  I've made the doughnuts so far (in my previous post), and look forward to trying out a few of her other recipes.


  
yep, self-explanatory:) 


Who could pass up a taste of these delicious looking berries?  Healthy, see?  Fruit!  As you can see on the label, they're handmade in Tasmania.  They didn't even get to come home with us, 'cos we ate them that very day.  And who is that spooky man in the background?  Honestly, I hadn't seen him before in the photo, and there was nobody there.  Ghosts?!




and another tea-towel


This gorgeous tea-towel is from New Zealand, a gift from a friend.  Aren't the colours wonderful?  I do love a useful present.




some Japanese goodies


Our mate Princess Pia has just come back from a quick cherry blossom tour of Japan, and brought back these cute little numbers.  I think there's a bit of strawberry in there somewhere, and who knows what else?




our gorgeous new, 4-door fridge!!


At last, we have a new fridge.  Some readers may have seen on social media that our old fridge died a sudden and very smelly death.  The smell was horrendous!  And we had to throw out nearly everything.  All the produce that I had just bought; anything porous, and just anything that smelled.  Paper labels literally fell of the jars and bottles!  And they assured us that the gas wasn't harmful to us, only to the atmosphere.  Geez, really reassuring.

Once again, I have more stuff to show, but I won't delight you with that till next month.  Looking forward to seeing you all here.  And hope you had/are having a great Easter break.


Here are the options again re. adding your post:


1. Adding via the link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under Add your IMK link
2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it to the linky list below
3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process




   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   




                      
Sherrys Pickings

44 comments:

  1. Happy Easter Sherry! You've always got such nice pottery items. Those berries look marvellous-not that I need any more chocolate after this weekend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L
      Yes we are lucky to have such a clever artistic friend Hope your Easter was fab and chocolate-y. Xx

      Delete
  2. Your kitchen seems full of colour and deliciousness. I love your tea towel and souvenirs. I have had that salt of the sea and it is a great way to give lots of flavour to anything. Glad you have solved the fridge problems (we have had our own oven problems - these appliances are so important to a well functioning kitchen). And I will look out for Molly's cookbook - sounds interesting. My IMK is linked up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much johanna. great to have you here. soooo nice to have a working fridge again. it was ghastly without it. and oh the smell. cheers S x

      Delete
  3. Ooohhh look at your flash new fridge! Very nice. Also think that salt/ herb mix looks tasty. Happy Easter Sherry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jem happy easter to you too. hope you got lots of choc eggs! cheers S x

      Delete
  4. Most of March I was traveling and not in my own kitchen. I did post a few things about the kitchen I visited as well as eating in restaurants. But I'll try to come back with something when my own kitchen is back in business!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Mae
      i bet you had a wonderful time travelling around. see you next month? :=)

      Delete
  5. I always love the stuff you pick up on your travels, especially the pottery. I love perusing through antique stores, too, so I can appreciate your finds. Love the colors in the tea towel! Good luck planning the b-day celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks debra. i do love to pick up a few nice things here and there on my travels. aren't antiques stores fun? cheers S

      Delete
  6. Well I've only just discovered that In My Kitchen was still going. I've really missed it since Celia stopped doing it. I don't have as much time as I used to, but if I can manage it, I will try to join in - occasionally at least. What a splendid fridge. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi choclette
      IMK has always been around; it just moved from host to host for a while:) And happy easter to you too. Will look forward to seeing you here at IMK land in the near future. Yep we love our new fridge. cheers S

      Delete
  7. I love chocolate covered fruit and am not surprised those packs didn't make it home! I also really like your new grey cup and the bright tea towel. Thanks for the peek into your vibrant kitchen and for hosting as always.

    I am about to add my link to the above :) https://www.bitesizedthoughts.com/2018/04/in-my-kitchen-april-2018.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi kari
      thanks for being here. oh yes those choc covered fruits were so yum. and healthy:) cheers S

      Delete
  8. Hi Sherry, Wow - glad your have a new fridge, so surprised that it went on you the way it did. We have a second hand one that we will some day replace, but are make doing with it for now. I adore the tea towel, what a riot of colour. I have linked my IMK. I was much more organised this month, yay - rather than leaving it to the last day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi shaheen
      our fridge was very old but still running well till we had air con put in and they had to turn the electricity off for 7 hours. the poor fridge didn't recover!:) cheers S

      Delete
  9. Hi Sherry, you always have such interesting stuff to show us, I love the old cake knife you picked up in Tassie, my Mum had one just like it. We're in Melbourne for a couple of weeks and in the rush to get ready I didn't have time to get a post together for April. Doesn't stop me from reading and commenting though. Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh sandra how nice to be in cool melbourne. looking after the grandkids? cheers S

      Delete
  10. Nice looking salt Sherry. Australian salt but with that Mediterranean title. Great looking fridge. Happy Easter for last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi francesca
      and happy easter to you too. thanks for dropping by, and joining in. cheers S x

      Delete
  11. Neat stuff in your kitchen this month! Particularly like that refrigerator -- looks like a really nice one. Although sorry your old one died such a smelly death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi KR,
      yes we are so happy with our new fridge. it works a treat. i really love the 2 part freezer with separate doors and drawers:) cheers S

      Delete
  12. Love the gourmet salt - it is something I would buy for sure. We get amazing chocolate coated berries here and I too could eat the entire bag in one setting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tandy
      Yep can’t resist those berries! Cheers S

      Delete
  13. Some great finds there Sherry. I love the pottery mug. Thanks for the tip on Molly Yeh - I'd not heard of her and just had a quick squizz at her blog - lots of good things to look at. I'll be having a nice in depth read. Also, looking forward to checking out more of your posts as i just stumbled across your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks very much GGE. a great treat to have you here. cheers S

      Delete
  14. Hi Sherry! Joining IMK for the first time :) I always love peering into other people's kitchens. I love that EVOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. marvellous to see you here V. Dreams. I wrote VD but that seemed a bit dubious:) thanks so much for being here. cheers S

      Delete
  15. That olive oil bottle is just the cutest thing! I also like the cup very much. And what a luxury with a 4-door fridge. The death of the previous one doesn't sound that good though, but I'm sure that you're happy with the new one.

    I have also added my link here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks veg hog. we do love our new fridge so much. compared to our old dinosaur, this one is superbly well designed and fits everything with room to spare. ah we are in love.:) thanks for joining in. cheers S

      Delete
  16. Hope you had a great Easter Sherry. Enjoy filling up your new fridge. I thought about getting Molly on the Range cookbook, but didn't in the end, love her photography though. Cute olive oil bottle and you can never have enough mugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FnT,
      yes we had a lovely relaxing easter break. hope you did too. i'm not sure i will make a lot of molly's recipes but i do love cookbooks and checking out how other bloggers/cooks get on with life and recipes. cheers S x

      Delete
  17. Oh that fridge looks amazing - I am envious! (Sounds like the journey to the new fridge was pretty terrible though.) Thanks for hosting once again. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. Oh yes it was awful when the fridge died. I threw out something else tonight that had been lurking in the depths of the new fridge. Erk:). Thanks for joining in. Cheers S

      Delete
  18. Hi Sherry, I have added my link. Thank you for extending the deadline for those of us on this side of the pond! How horrible that your fridge died, but the new one is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz
      Thanks for joining us! Lovely to have you.
      Cheers S x

      Delete
  19. Hi, Sherry! I finally made it back to IMK (thanks for extending the deadline!) and will be back to comment more this afternoon. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sherry, is there a trick for commenting on Jen Loves Food? My comments were sadly rejected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz
      Lots of us are having the same problem with Jens blog. I literally just keep trying till it sticks. I go in and out of her post and try again. It eventually works. I have left a message for her too. Cheers S

      Delete
  21. Dear Sherry, I couldn't agree with you more. 2018 is traveling at "light speed!" But, your IMK offerings this month illustrate how important it is to hold onto and enjoy every precious second. (Especially with finds that make you happy!) My hubby is rather "oblivious" too -- :) -- but I'm sure yours appreciates your efforts (as does mine) even when they don't say as much.

    I LOVE your "old time phone doodle" (yes, I remember those!), your bone-handled knife, gorgeous wooden spatula/stirrer, EVOO bottle, S & P & herb blend, and colorful "useful" tea towel. (Among the rest!) Thanks again for hostessing this fun forum.

    P.S. SO sorry to hear about your defunct fridge woes! Your replacement is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. So happy to see you here. Thanks for joining us. Yes the fridge was a terrible saga. Sooo nice to have a new one! Cheers S xx

      Delete
  22. Hi Sherry, here is my first contribution to "In my kitchen"
    https://laura-bigsby.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/in-my-kitchen-april-18.html
    I hope I did it right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laura
      How marvellous to see you here. I will add your link later today. Thanks for joining us. Cheers S

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.