Wednesday 7 August 2019

Cauliflower And Cheese Scones - International Scone Week 2019 - #ISW2019

Once again, International Scone Week has caught me unawares!  Where the heck is this year going to?  Just as well Tandy from Lavender and Lime reminded me it was on again.  (Everyone is welcome to join in #ISW, so go to Tandy's blog for info.)  I have a few scone recipes I wanted to try, but Mr P. seemed keen on this one...  I found several versions of cauli scones, but most have you boiling and mashing said vegetable.  'No, no,' said I to myself, 'not happening'.  So here we have a recipe that uses cauliflower rice i.e. raw cauli blitzed in the food processor.  'Yay,' I said to myself, 'that's the recipe for me.'  (Boy, does she ever stop talking to herself - tee hee?)



delicious warm and cheesy scones

This is a recipe from Monika of the Everyday Healthy Recipes blog.  I added a few blings of my own to personalise it, but her recipe provides the basis.  And what a tasty one it is, (even if my scones ended up a wee bit flat).  Mr P. wolfed down three (or four?) at lunchtime, straight out of the oven.  But then again, he is a carb man after all.  I had a couple, warm and cheesy, the melting butter cascading over the sides...  You get the picture, folks.


ingredients:


280g. plain flour

2 tsp baking powder

2/3 tsp sea salt flakes

1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional but tasty)

1/8-1/4 tsp ground black pepper or mountain pepper berries

2 tsp lightly dried parsley flakes, or 1-2 tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped 

1/2 tsp dried onion flakes

1 large egg

150 mLs buttermilk

130g. raw cauliflower, chopped roughly (use the florets and stalks)

80g. cold butter, cubed

70g. mature/tasty cheddar cheese, coarsely grated

good sprinkling of sesame seeds - say, 1 tbs?


Method:


Sift the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, black pepper, parsley flakes and onion flakes into a large mixing bowl

Whisk them well together

Whisk the egg and buttermilk together in a medium bowl

Blitz the cauliflower in a food processor till it resembles grains of rice - don't go too far; you don't want a paste

Now stir the cauliflower into the egg and buttermilk mixture

Add the butter and the cheese into the flour mixture, and rub in with your fingertips till it looks like breadcrumbs

Now tip the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring with a knife till just combined

Tip the sticky, lumpy dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and bring together gently (!) with your hands till you have a smooth dough, about 2-3 cm. thick

Cut into 8-10 triangles and place them (via a metal spatula) on a large, lightly floured baking tray

Scatter the sesame seeds over the scones

Bake at 220C (425F) for 15 minutes till golden


Notes:

Treat the dough with care; too much handling will make it tough

Try a mix of tasty and parmesan cheeses

Use your fave herbs 



ingredients gathered


egg and buttermilk whisked together 


cauliflower blitzed


stir the egg and buttermilk into the flour mixture


pat out the dough to a rectangular (or round) shape 2-3cm. thick  


cut the dough into 8-10 triangles


golden and crunchy on top after 15 mins. @220C


Mr P. is about to eat half of these


cheesy buttery scones




        artwork © Sherry's Pickings

32 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! I might even trick my husband to eat some cauliflowers this way :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi angie
      yes this is a fab way to get some more veg into our diets. cheers sherry

      Delete
  2. What a great way to use vegetables. Thanks for taking par .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi tandy
      hope you are having fun in the UK this week. yes i felt very virtuous using veg here in a scone. cheers sherry

      Delete
  3. This is a delicious looking scone recipe Sherry, and using cauliflower rice is brilliant. Can't wait to try it here as well. I don't use onion powder though, so perhaps a couple of finely chopped shallots might work? Working on my scone recipe. Thanks for sharing, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a delicious looking scone recipe Sherry, and using cauliflower rice is brilliant. Can't wait to try it here as well. I don't use onion powder though, so perhaps a couple of finely chopped shallots might work? Working on my scone recipe. Thanks for sharing, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi pauline
      yes they were delicious! i don't use onion powder either; this is just dried onion granules, nothing else in it. i think you could use very finely chopped shallots. i loved using the cauli rice; i've never done it before. my brain is now thinking of other uses for it...cheers sherry

      Delete
  5. wow I almost did cauliflower and cheese scones - glad to see they worked so well - I need to try these some time - they look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi johanna
      yes they turned out well. great for lunch! cheers S

      Delete
  6. I use cauliflower to make pizza dough so why not scones... It's a very versatile veggie I love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi judi
      yes it's amazing what you can do with a good vegetable:) just think of carrot cake, zucchini slice ...

      Delete
  7. Never, ever thought to use cauliflower in scones! These look terrific -- very creative. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi KR
      yes they were a surprise to me too:-) very tasty!

      Delete
  8. The scones look incredible. My daughter will really love this recipe. She makes pizza, rice and other things with cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cauli is such a great veg. isn't it? you can use it in so many different dishes. thanks for dropping by. cheers sherry

      Delete
  9. How fantastic, creative and healthy with a pot of tea. Cauliflower anything is amazing, thanks so much for sharing Sherry. I am filing these to cook on Saturday :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope you like them merryn. they really were delicious. all gone now! so nice spread with butter:) cheers sherry

      Delete
  10. Hi Sherry, thank you for using my recipe, I really like how you added your own twist to these scones. Would you mind linking back to my blog please, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure Monika
      https://www.everydayhealthyrecipes.com/cauliflower-cheese-scones/

      Delete
  11. I love a good scone situation and these look the business! I'm in England at the moment and I am obsessed with all the scones but I will have to have a crack at these savoury scones when I get home. Cheese and cauliflower is always a winning combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sammie. i agree - cauli and cheese, you can't go wrong. just think of cauli gratin. have fun in england. lucky you!

      Delete
  12. I have never make a savory scone, Sherry! Your sound so amazing! And thanks for letting me know it’s International Scone Week! While I might not make them savory this time, I will bake some scones in celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi david
      yes i do love a savoury scone. even more than sweet ones with jam and cream:) thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  13. I love the look of these Sherry! Really novel :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are very moreish lorraine. i love a savoury scone or muffin etc...

      Delete
  14. I totally cracked up at the caption that "Mr P. is about to eat half of these." :-) I can see why, though. These look delicious, and I'm intrigued by the idea of a savory scone. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi david
      yep we gobbled them all down in a couple of days! i love savoury versions of things - scones, muffins, loaves etc... thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  15. These look and sound so delicious. Savoury scones are my fvaourite. Mr Tiffin can't understand what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he doesn't like scones or just savoury ones? :)

      Delete
  16. I'm so with you on the faffing about. The whole point of scones is that they're nice and easy. Well a lot of the point anyway! Love the idea of cauliflower rice scones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i thought it was a great idea too. so glad i found the recipe!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.