Thursday 25 August 2022

Grilled Sourdough Bread With Roasted Blood Oranges, Anchovies And Olives

Blood oranges hit our fruit and veg. shops in Winter here in Australia.  The season is from August to October, so they are ripe and ready at the moment.  Perfect timing for this dish from Charlie Carrington's book The Atlas Cookbook.  (And perfect timing as you could use my overnight garlic bread from my previous post.)  

As my busted-up foot is still on the mend, I asked Mr P. to give me a hand with making this one.  "It won't take long," I said, at which he snorted, smiled and said, "Yeah, sure!"  He knows me well.  I tend to be the tortoise rather than the hare, with these things.  But he happily gave me his hand, and his grilling skills.


yep, go ahead and stack your toast

Reminds me of the time my Melbourne friend flew up here, and we trotted over the border to attend a cooking class in the hinterland of the Northern Rivers region.  We worked in pairs, and somehow my friend (who is a trained chef), managed to do about three quarters of the cooking!  And then she sliced up my hand, accidentally of course.  I was waving my hand around, while she was lifting her knife to add ingredients to a bowl.  Eek!  The knife and the hand met mid-air, leading to lots of blood and me having to lie down, like a swooning lady in a Regency novel :-)  'Oh Mr. Darcy, where are you?'


quirky and tangy and delicious 

Serves 2-4 (depending on your greed, as Nigella L. says):

ingredients:

4 blood oranges (or normal oranges at a pinch)

90 mL/3 oz EV olive oil

20 mL/¾ oz red-wine vinegar

4 cloves of garlic, finely sliced

4 slices sourdough bread (or use my overnight garlic bread)

12 fabulously brilliant best quality (marinated) anchovies

100g./3.5 oz olives, halved or quartered - see notes below

A sprinkle of sea salt flakes, and a big dash of ground black pepper


Method:

On goes your oven at 125C/255F

Peel your oranges, and cut them in half - see Notes below

Pour the oil and vinegar into a roasting/baking tray/dish; place the oranges cut side down into the tray, and throw the garlic slices over the oranges

Roast for an hour, or until the oranges have collapsed (mine took an hour and a half, but you know the story - doddery oven and weak gas supply)

Let them cool off, while you grill or toast the bread 

So take the oranges out of the roasting tray, swish the bread slices around in the oil and vinegar, then grill them on both sides till nicely charred

Hand out a slice or two to your diners (just me and Mr P.!)

Place the oranges, anchovies and olives on a platter, and everyone goes for it!  Add the salt and pepper if using, and stack your toast as you please!   No little fishies for Mr P. though :-)


Notes:

I used sherry vinegar as I had no red wine vinegar, but use whatever you fancy; (maybe not balsamic :-) )

I used marinated white anchovies; you don't want those hairy, horrible beasties they sling on pizza

Charlie says to use pitted black olives; I think green olives go well here so I used green olives stuffed with Danish fetta.  And why not? :=)  So use your fave kind; feel free to halve or quarter them

I experimented by leaving one orange with the skin on, to see if it's easier/tastier/better than peeling them first.  Peeling the oranges was a right pain, as the skin was too thin to use a peeler or your fingers.  Mr P. says 'take the skin off!'  I suggest cutting them into thick slices (maybe 1-2 cm or 1/2 inch), and roasting for 30-40 minutes.  I did find halving them, then taking the peel off with a knife worked very well (before baking)

Charlie makes no suggestions about using the oil mixture to grill the bread, and in fact did not mention what to do with it at all!  Mr P. (griller extraordinaire) used it all up for the grilling.  He suggests dipping the bread on both sides, then grill away till charred and golden - well, kinda black really :)

Charlie did not mention seasoning either, but I felt a bit of salt and pepper added to the flavour; surprisingly the marinated white anchovies were not as salty as I expected


ingredients gathered

halve your oranges

measuring out the EV olive oil

blood oranges and garlic ready for roasting at 125C/255F

green olives stuffed with Danish fetta

slice up the sourdough

Mr P. grills his bread

after an hour and a half in the oven

crunchy toast (not burnt, honest)

ready for stacking

and ready for eating - so delish!


© Sherry M.




59 comments:

  1. Toasty sourdough (homemade, I assume?) and sweet tangy blood oranges must be fantastic together. Both olives and anchovies are packed with healthy fat that we need in life...totally love this healthful and yummy creation, Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry angie not homemade bread:( but it was good. this was a quirky and delish dish.

      Delete
  2. This looks really good -- such a nice simple dish, yet so satisfying. And of course you'd use Sherry vinegar. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness that is pretty bread! And what a lovely meal. I'd feel like I was on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so delicious and different!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely recipe! This looks like something delicious that you would get at a cafe! I'm glad to hear that your foot is on the mend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks and thanks lorraine :) Foot getting much better.

      Delete
  6. This looks fantastic.

    I tend to...shall we say, take my time in the kitchen, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just cannot imagine marinated white anchovies (which I love) with orange. But they are flavours of Sicily, so should marry well together. We don't get blood oranges here sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they were amazingly good with the oranges tandy! we are lucky that they are grown here in southern australia.

      Delete
    2. What a fabulous recipe Sherry, and the perfect way to eat on the weekend, so al fresco, bring on Summer. I love all those flavours, would never think to roast the oranges to go with the other ingredients though. All very Mediterranean, so perfect for each other. Hoping your foot is healing as well as can be expected. Take care. Still haven't received your post on my
      email, not losing sleep over it though:)$%^&*()

      Delete
    3. darn Follow.it. so annoying re lack of emails. thanks foot is getting much better now. yes this is a lovely, tangy, salty delight of a dish.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sherry, looks delicious. Blood oranges are so tasty and white anchovies is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ph, Sherry that was Bernadette from New Classic Recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blood oranges are available here occasionally, but I don't see them very often and then they are expensive. Your combination of flavors looks fabulous. My husband would love that meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was really delicious judee much to our surprise.

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful and exotic combination. I think that would be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an interesting recipe - bet it's still tasty in lettuce cup yummo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how interesting :) i wonder what you mean? ... a different post perhaps?

      Delete
  13. Oh what a fun recipe, Sherry! I love sourdough straight up, but grilling it makes it fancy. :-) I actually have some extra blood oranges in the fridge right now - perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks david. it was fancy and quirky and delish!

      Delete
  14. Great combination of flavors and textures--what a delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you continue to be on the mend! What a great looking spread. I would certainly eat this for supper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks debra. i am getting much better. yep this is delish!

      Delete
  16. We have blood oranges here ocassionally but I've never tried them Yur bread looks amazing. Sending you good wishes on healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, just saw your comment on my blog about two sites. You can always start one and see how much you enjoy it. I kept my book blog on Wordpress for years before moving to Blogspot. If you don't like keeping up with two you can abandon one :-) Worth an experiment.

      Delete
    2. yes you're right tina. But i do find one blog quite time consuming and then i would have to try to get a following etc on another blog. Not sure i can do it :-) I will think on it some more ...

      Delete
  17. What a unique combination. I love sourdough but with something really different topping it like those roasted blood oranges it must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was amazing neil. much to our surprise really :)

      Delete
  18. How interesting and unique! I love sweet & savoury (salty) combinations, and I've tried many of them on my bruschetta (and other things). But oranges, anchovies, and olives? I'm totally intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yes it fascinated me, and tasted delish.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Blood oranges make me swoon! It will be another 2-3 months before they are available here. I love using the juice in cocktails, and as the acid base in salad dressings.

    Bringing together sweet oranges with salty olives ( and toasted bread is divine with everything) is a natural pairing. Delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks velva. it was a pleasant and tasty surprise!

      Delete
  21. What an interesting combinations of flavours. Thanks for linking up with Weekend Cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an interesting dish! (That knifing incident sounds horrible!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jeff. i am very squeamish and i tend to faint at the sight of blood esp. mine :)

      Delete
  23. This is actually a comment from David of the Coco and Lavender blog. Darn Blogger, and its awful commenting system. "Oh, my! This is a fabulous combination. I can’t wait for citrus season to roll around again in December. And, for us, bring on the anchovies! I hope you’re feeling better, and that all is well Down Under. (I feel like I’m supposed to capitalize that, but I don’t know for sure…)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David! So sorry that commenting is so hard. I appreciate your efforts. https://cocoaandlavender.com/

      Delete
  24. This looks amazing! I think more credit goes to you and Mr. P. than the cookbook author, though -- you really just used the recipe as a jumping-off point. It's been so hot on the East Coast of the US that I haven't put the oven on all summer, but I would love to have this meal out in the backyard with a glass of wine in early September, when it should get cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks laurie. Yes a good recipe is always a good start to a dish:-) We always like to add our own spin!

      Delete
  25. Not an anchovy fan but I think these scrumptious little open-faced sandwiches will be just as good with smoked salmon. Can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but these marinated white anchovies are so delicious :)

      Delete
  26. I'm not a big fan of anchovies, but I think these scrumptious little sandwiches will be just as good with smoked salmon. They looked absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mm must try with smoked salmon, she thinks to herself...

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.