Friday 9 September 2022

College Puddings

College puddings?  Yes, an odd name for these funny, fruity little fritters.  I'm a member of a Facebook group called Lambs' Ears Cookbook Club; last month our book was Pride and Pudding by Regula Ysewijn.  The book is a history of British Puddings, Savoury and Sweet - and there seems to be a lot of suet involved :-)  Fortunately I have bags of suet mix in my freezer thanks to the botched dumplings I tried to make some months ago.  Remember that saga? :-)

But here we have a recipe with suet that worked out just fine - delicious and moreish.  They didn't last long at all.  And I still have copious amounts of suet mix in the freezer, ready for another batch of these plumptious morsels.  I think they're called College Puddings because they were served at an Oxford College for supper, the original recipe appearing in a book by Eliza Smith The Compleat Housewife, 1737.  And still delicious!


cute, sweet morsels


Makes 9-10:

ingredients:

100g./3.5 oz fresh breadcrumbs (bought or homemade)

50g./1.75 oz shredded suet - see Notes below

50g./1.75 oz raw (caster or white) sugar

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

a pinch of sea salt

2 SMALL eggs or 1 large egg, lightly beaten - see Notes below

2 tsp Sherry (or Madeira or spiced Rum)

10g./⅜ oz/ or 1 very heaped tsp currants or sultanas, along with 1 tsp (candied) mixed peel or lemon peel; soaked in a big 20 mL/⅔ oz brandy or rum for 20 minutes, then drained off  (drink the rum - tee hee)

28g./1 oz glacé ginger, chopped finely (optional)

28g./1 oz/4 Tbs almond meal (if needed)

butter and oil for frying

icing sugar for dusting 


Method:

Grab a large mixing bowl, and tip in the breadcrumbs, suet, sugar, nutmeg and salt; give it a good stir to combine

Add the egg(s) and Sherry; if a thin mixture, just mix it all together well.  Regula says this is a dry dough, but will come together with a bit of kneading (my 'dough' was a right old soupy mix)

Leave your dough/batter/porridge to rest for 15 minutes

Fold your currants/sultanas, peel and glacé ginger into the mix

Add the almond meal if needed

Then tease out golf ball-sized amounts, which you flatten slightly (or sling into the pan with a spoon depending on your dough's moisture content :-) )

Heat 20 grams butter and 1 tsp veg. oil in a large frying pan - or just use clarified butter alone if you have that (I didn't)

Fry your balls till golden-brown, and cooked through - see Notes

Serve as a side dish, or with a dusting of icing sugar (says Regula) - I am curious as to what you would serve this with as a side dish :-)


Notes:

It can be difficult to get actual suet (try your local butcher) but as I had mega amounts of suet mix in my freezer I used that instead - so instead of the 50g. of shredded suet, I used 30 grams of butter, and 30 grams of the suet and flour mixture I made up ages ago

As my mixture was so wet, I just used a tablespoon to dollop it into the frying pan, and cooked on each side for several minutes

Regula mentions a similar recipe by William Kitchiner from 1822; he says he prefers them baked in patty pans, so I tried that too.  I put a few in the oven to bake at 185C/365F for about 12-15 minutes - both sorts equally delicious!  But you can feel virtuous when eating the baked version, if that's your jam :-)

Regula actually joined our Cookbook Club, and told us that in her next book, she has/will give grammage for the eggs, as more than one person has mentioned that this was a very wet mixture rather than a dough :-)


first grab some bread

and blitz till you have breadcrumbs :-)  (Or buy some)

gather your ingredients

I used a pastry cutter to cut in the butter and suet mix

stir in the fruit

into the oven they go (there were 3)

frying up in butter and oil

or baked!  I love the heart-shaped one at the bottom

and we demolished the dusted fritters/puddings :=)

Princess Pia wrapping up a couple to take home


© Sherry M.

32 comments:

  1. I've heard of these, but really had no idea what they were. Suet-based puddings really aren't that common in the US. Too bad, because they can be good. This one looks terrific! And because virtue isn't really my jam, I'll fry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they were really delicious which was a bit of a surprise! yep frying was good.

      Delete
  2. That's a bit of interesting history. British puddings are a bit of a novelty in the US. I just read an article on sticky toffee pudding, which is evidently a 20th century invention from the rebirth of old style puddings. I'm not sure suet is available from mainstream sources here -- it would have to be at a very special shop. Example: not available from Whole Foods which is an all purpose very high-end grocery.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actual suet is a wee bit difficult to get but suet mix is found in our normal grocery stores.

      Delete
  3. I've never had colleg puddings before. They look & sound very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frying in butter sounds fantastic to me. I really love that you cook and bake with suet and butter. They are the real deal and so much better than the over processed vegetable oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep i agree angie. butter is best! Yes i do not like veg. oil except EVOO. I think they do horrible heat things to regular veg. oil!

      Delete
  5. These look interesting. Eggs are graded differently around the world so grammage would be a better measure.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes the size of your egg can make a huge difference! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh I had heard of college puddings before. But I had no idea what they were. Now I do. These look delicious Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sherri, what fun it must be to belong to a cookbook club. Thanks for this interesting recipe. Bernadette at New Classic Recipe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi bernadette. yes it's fun being in the club - so to speak :)

      Delete
  8. It's Judee from Gluten Free A-Z blog- . I've never heard of college pudding before and not sure that many people use suet here in the US. I found your post very interesting.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey judee. yes suet is pretty much a thing of the past tho people do still use it now and then. It gives food such a lovely moist character!

      Delete
  9. What a fun recipe! College puddings are a new concept to me, but they look and sound tasty. Now I need to find me some suet... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. suet is such an old-fashioned item. all that lovely pig fat! or is it cows?:)

      Delete
  10. These look pretty delish! I see a lot of suet puddings in my future. I have actually never cooked with it but I expect when I'm in the UK all that will change :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious Sherry, I've never had them before, but suet used to be used in plum puddings too, didn't it? I've never really used it, but I remember it at home when growing up. I'll have to suss it out. Looks like you had fun with these which is great. Great story, and I love the idea of a book club about cooking books. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i think suet was a fave in all sorts of recipes - sweet and savoury. Mum used to make dumplings for stew with it. These were delish!

      Delete
  12. You know, I love Christmas puddings and such, but I have never made one - meaning, I have never worked with suet. I need to "man up" and give this a try. (aaaannnnddd... it looks as though, if I use my computer, I will be able to leave comments for you and Pauline. Just not on my iPad!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suet is a breeze david. and it gives a lovely moistness (is that a word?) to foods. I know what you mean about commenting. I can only leave them on my laptop; no go with phone or ipad. Grrrr!

      Delete
  13. These look really tasty! I remember having this big hunk of suet in my freezer for ages. I think I had to throw it out in the end because I never used it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these little traditional treats, loaded with dried fruits and alcohol :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had thought college puddings were sponge pudding with jam on top - which we used to call steamed puddings. Look very tasty - do you eat with custard? (or did they at oxford?) I guess they are a cut above the custard and prunes that Virginia Woolf memorably writes about in A Room of One's Own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think they just ate them as is, as did we :) Custard and prunes? Oh my word! Eek!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.