Wednesday 9 November 2022

Hunza Pie - The Australian Women's Weekly Way

You may remember that I'm in an online cookbook club, and also as of this month, a new, real-life one too.  Our book last month was any of the Australian Women's Weekly Cookbooks - of which there are many!  This recipe is from the Cooking Class Cookbook (no publishing date but from the '80s I think).  I chose to make this Hunza Pie, which was popular in my student, vego days.

There's a version of this recipe on their website, which fancies it up for the modern cook, adding in chicken and other goodies.  So I decided to fancy it up a wee bit, too.  The recipe in the book is very spartan though, just the way I remember it :=)  This pie is named after the Hunza Valley in the Himalayas (supposedly), where people are said to live till well over one hundred!  So give this a try, my friends, and longevity will be yours.


slather with relish if you fancy

Serves 6:

ingredients:

For the pastry:

280g/2 cups wholemeal plain flour

1 tsp sea salt

100g./1 cup wheatgerm

1 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes (optional)

1/2 tsp vegetable or chicken stock powder

250g./8 oz cold butter, chopped into chunks

1/4 cup (62 mL) cold water (+ 2-3 tsp more if needed)

2 Tbs milk for glazing the pastry


Filling:

300g./10.5 oz chicken tenderloins 

720g./25 oz washed potatoes

1 tsp yellow mustard seeds (optional)

150g./5.5 oz baby spinach leaves, snipped into pieces

180g./6.5 oz fetta, chopped into chunks

1 tsp sea salt

2 Tbs EV olive oil

2 tsp dried chives

1 tsp cracked black pepper

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1-2 Tbs lightly dried (or fresh) parsley, chopped roughly


Method:

For the pastry:

Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl

Whisk the wheatgerm, yeast flakes and stock powder into the flour mix

Rub the butter in with your fingertips till your bowl looks like it's full of breadcrumbs (or use your food processor)

Add in the 1/4 cup of water, and mix (by hand) or process till you have a firm dough (use the extra water if needed)

Knead lightly on a floured surface, pat into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge for twenty minutes - I suggest you get onto the filling while you wait!

After the twenty minutes, grab a 23cm/9 inch pie plate/tin, butter the base lightly, roll out HALF of the dough (I had 2 halves x 350g.), and push it gently over the base and sides of the pie tin

And back it goes into the fridge for another 20 minutes to settle down


For the filling:

Cook up the chicken by baking at 185C/365F for about twelve minutes, then put aside 

Peel the spuds (potatoes), cut them into large chunks, boil till tender, then drain them

Let them cool for a few minutes, tip into a large bowl, mash lightly and add the chicken

And in goes the mustard seeds, spinach, fetta, salt, olive oil, chives, pepper, oregano and parsley

Give it all a firm but kindly mix till well combined

Spoon the filling into the pastry case, give it a bit of a gentle press down, roll out the other pastry half,  place it over the top of the filling, seal the edges with your fingers or a fork, and brush the pie with milk to glaze

Oh, don't forget to cut a few slits in the top of the pie so it can breathe while baking

Bake at 200C/390F for fifteen to twenty minutes, then lower the oven to 180C/355F and bake for another fifteen to twenty minutes till golden brown (mine took 25 mins. at 180C 'cos my gas oven is soooo slow)

Serve with relish - as in, tomato relish etc, and as much gusto as you like, and maybe a salad


Notes:

I am going with their measurements, even tho' modern day ones are a bit different! as in - 250 grams is really closer to 9 ounces, etc

Use chicken breasts if you prefer, and slice them thinly

I actually baked the chicken the day before!  And I whizzed the pastry in my food processor till it formed a ball, then tipped it onto the bench to press into a ball

Back in the day, we used silverbeet (Swiss chard) as English spinach was not really a thing then.  I suggest you buy pre-washed baby spinach as it is soooo much easier, as you just snip and tip into the filling


bake @185C for around 12 minutes

potato and chicken

snip your spinach

push half the pastry into the tin

and fill the pastry with your healthy mix

glazed and ready for baking

golden brown and gorgeous

thin, crispy pastry and a hearty filling


This pie really brings back the memories!  Of living with many and varied people, in houses that had no locked doors, where we lived on cheap foods like mountains of potatoes and huge tubs of yoghurt.  Where feral possums would climb into the kitchen window in search of fruit, where the lawn was cut with kitchen scissors and knives (no mower!), and nudity, and a lively sex life was the norm.  Not me, not me! :=)  Tee hee...


potatoes and baby spinach

46 comments:

  1. It's Judee- thanks for the stroll down memory lane when people ate a lot of "pie" type foods. My mom made something like this -Looks interesting but a little labor intensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi judee oh the memories ... It actually is pretty easy, just a bit of baking which is very easy.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a lovely dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh to be young! Good memories! The piece looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of hunza pie...it surely looks very tempting with the savoury filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a good pie angie and the pastry worked out well.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of this, so it must be an Aussie pie. I also prefer washed baby spinach. And I'm sure Dave can relate to some part of communal living.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes popular in student days. all the vego restaurants served it. Share houses were fun times!!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow this looks delicious. Bookmarking another of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of hunza pie either but I wouldn't mind giving it a try, looks yummy. And how nice to be in a proper cooking club!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i really liked the pastry on this one. yep am very happy to be in a cookbook club! or two ... :)

      Delete
  8. I love the hunza pies from Summer Kitchen bakers in Tasmania, but I’d like to try making my own. I’ll give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ms P! Yes just leave out the chicken and up the potatoes if you wish.

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of this but the ingredients look delicious and it might make for a fun, different thing to try! Thanks, Sheri. (And also for stopping by!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jeanie. the pastry here is really good i think.

      Delete
  10. A new pie for me (from the 60's) but versions I saw were just spinach, cheese and rice. Is this an Aussie version with the chicken? Sounds good and I'm sure the meat could be optional :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe it is an aussie version judi :) Yes chicken is definitely optional; just up the amount of potatoes.

      Delete
  11. This is a new pie for me and the versions I read were spinach, cheese and rice. Is the chicken an Aussie version? I'm sure it could be optional :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cookbook that offered those hippie-dippie veg dinners here was Moosewood! You definitely bring back memories of potlucks where every baked item would scar the roof of your mouth because it was so whole-grained. Somehow I was on another wavelength, so I didn’t cook that way.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i have a couple of the Moosewood books in my kitchen. Wholemeal fliour used to be really tough - brown and full of ... bits! I lived with vegos and vegans and was a vego myself for a decade so we all lived like that for quite some time :)

      Delete
    2. I also have cooked from several Moosewood cookbooks. They were the first cookbooks I owned, and I think I cooked my way completely through them.

      Delete
  13. Sherry of course I have this cookbook, I've got all of them. I've never had this pie though, everything old is new again. It looks healthy, even with the pastry. Thanks for the reminder. p.s. I reckon you could use frozen spinach too, with moisture squeezed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i think most aussie women of a certain age - tee hee - would have a few AWW cookbooks! The pastry here is fabulous! Yes definitely use frozen spinach for a quicker dinner, tho the baby spinach is literally snip and tip!

      Delete
  14. My mom would often make what she called a chicken pot pie, and these are said to have healing properties. I can see where this would be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true that chicken soups etc are really beneficial to our health - and to our memories of our mums' dinners!

      Delete
  15. Love how this is made with wholemeal plain flour. My kind of healthy recipe with a lovely chicken and veg filling! My mum used to read Womens Weekly here. Not sure if the recipe would have been published in our version too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the pastry turned out so much better than i expected neil. this recipe is in one of their books; i don't know if it was also in their mags.

      Delete
  16. So eating this Hunza Pie will make me live longer? Sign me up for that! It sounds delicious in its own right, too. :-) And cutting the lawn with knives and scissors? In the nude? That must have been a sight to see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep eat up:) Tee hee ... what a life it used to be ...

      Delete
  17. Oh, I love this. You actually reminded me to perfect my recipe that I made few years ago. I love the filling and the top crust but mine came out little wet in the center from the inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happily my crust kept dry and cooked well. putting a baking tray in the oven and heating it up before putting the pie in the oven (on the tray) often helps with cooking the bottom properly.

      Delete
  18. First time I hear of Hunza Pie, but it looks and sounds like a lovely dish. Reminds me a bit of Greek spanakopita, which I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're rght Frank with all that spinach and fetta!

      Delete
  19. Ah, those were the days. :) I have a new addition to the family that is a veg (but does eat chicken) so I might have to try this. Our regular holiday meal is Beef Bourguignon so I will have to do something different (and for other meals, too) while they're here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a new addition to the family? how exciting. this is great for vegos sans the chicken of course:=)

      Delete
  20. I have never heard of this dish, thank you for the backstory and peek into your student days. And the tip above for keeping the bottom crust dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Liz yes those student days were rather ... interesting!

      Delete
  21. What online cookbook club do you belong to Sherry? I was in one for a year or so early in my blogging career but they disbanded. It was fun since I adore cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi again, the club is called Lambs' Ears cookbook club (on Facebook). An aussie one! we do recipes from one particular book each month!

      Delete
  22. I have never heard of Hunza Pie - but love the origins and, if it gives longevity, I will make one and cut myself a piece or two. (Two might undo the health aspects, eh?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can have two pieces David! extra health :)

      Delete
  23. This does remind me of the old hippie day. Of course you had to be a vegetarian and everything had to be made with whole wheat. Gerlinde

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.