Thursday 15 December 2022

Chicken Tenders - Baked the Nagi Way

Yep, another recipe from Nagi's book Dinner.  I love that she bakes rather than fries, and this is a genius idea of hers to toast the panko breadcrumbs first before baking, for that extra crunch.  How did we get by before panko?  Well, I never used to use breadcrumbs.  I always used cornflake crumbs instead!  Which I still do sometimes; especially good for coeliacs of course.  

Speaking of coeliacs, one of Mr P.'s sisters is a genuine case, so can't eat wheat and so on.  But another sister is a bit of a drama queen hypochondriac, and just decided not to eat it for no reason whatsoever.  We went to lunch with her one day, where she made a huge fuss about having to have gluten-free bread, then proceeded to leave it untouched on her plate.  The waiter was soooo not impressed :=)  As were we!  Family are weird!


serve with a bit of salad (wow, everything is beige!)

Serves 3-4:

ingredients:

90g./3.2 oz panko breadcrumbs - see Notes

500g/1.1 lb chicken tenderloins

1/2-1 tsp sea salt

1-2 Tbs parsley, finely chopped

Batter:

1 large egg

1 Tbs mayonnaise

1.5 Tbs mustard or 1-2 heaped tsp harissa paste - see Notes 

2 Tbs plain flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

Serve with condiment of your choice: try sweet chilli sauce and kewpie mayo (as I did) or tomato sauce or tomato relish - you get the picture


Method:

On goes your oven to 200C/390F to heat up

Grab a large baking tray, and line it with baking paper

Spread the panko over the paper, and into the oven for 5-7 minutes - watch it carefully after 5 as mine was done by then (and give the tray a shake halfway through baking)

Tip it into a bowl, and leave the baking paper on the tray for the tenderloins

Place a wire cake rack over the baking paper, and either brush or spray the wires with vegetable oil

Mix all the batter ingredients together in a large (and hopefully shallow) bowl

Now add the chicken and toss them around to get a nice, sticky coating of batter

Grab some tongs, and place the pieces of chicken into the panko

Roll 'em around to get thoroughly coated, then place them one by one onto the wire rack

Spray the chicken pieces with oil, or just dribble a bit of oil on each piece (like me), if you don't have any veg. spray

Sprinkle some salt over each, then bake for 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your tenders (mine took 20 - they must have been big chooks)

On goes the parsley, and serve with the dip/sauce/relish of your choice

We ate some the next day, tho' the panko had gone a bit limp.  They lasted another day or so in the fridge, but I suggest eating them all up immediately :=) 


Notes:

Nagi advises to spray the panko with oil before baking, but I didn't!  I actually only used about 60 grams of the panko, and that was plenty

I'd planned to use my homemade wholegrain mustard, but we'd run out, so I used a heaped tsp of harissa instead.  "Use more next time!", says Mr P.  

Chop up some chicken breast if you can't get tenderloins


golden, toasted panko

about to batter :=)

chuck in the chicken

battered and into the panko

onto the tray for baking (oops, forgot to leave the baking paper underneath)

ready for eating

sprinkle with parsley

dollop on Kewpie mayo and tabasco sauce, or sweet chilli sauce


Sherry M.

44 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful, Pauline - loev the spices Nagi uses. Like her, I also toast my pank before using - not so much for extra crunch as for color. Panko can look pretty pale! (I admittedly toast in a little butter...) As for the gluten free whackos out there? Well, I am with you. We have a niece who has coeliac disease and it is important for her to avoid any gluten (among other things), and we are so happy to accommodate. But we also have a friend who is "gluten intolerant" for no particular reason. Still, we bend over backwards making GF food for her.. and then she buys a dozen regular donuts and eats half of them "because they were still warm and so good." Grrrr. I often call myself gluten intolerant intolerant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'd never actually thought about the colour of panko:=) Oh yes those idiots who pretend to be intolerant of certain things drive me nuts! So pretentious of them. Pauline indeed! :=) I won't take offence...

      Delete
    2. OMG - I cannot believe I did that. Your and Pauline's emails look so much the same in my inbox - but once you are in the post, the content looks so different. I do not know how I did that! PLEASE PLEASE forgive me! :)

      Delete
    3. No worries at all David! I knew you must have got mixed up. Yes she and I both use Follow.It for our emails ... So don't worry! I'm fine. Wishing you a happy new year!

      Delete
  2. Such a clever idea to toast the breadcrumbs first. I shall Dave as he's in charge of the Panko. And his mother's daughter also has pretend gluten issues.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really crunchy! And big yes to more harissa!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long workday coming to an end > almost left this until tomorrow . . . glad I did not. Lovely, lovely tasty photos of a 'Nagi recipe' and a smile on your 'talk' with David . . . and Tandy there ! Glasses of wine poured !!! Nagi cooks simple, Nagi cooks tasty, Nagi uses ingredients one can buy around the world . . . a practical gal who these days may try find a healthier way (ie baking) instead of cutting a yummy recipe from her files. My smile is quiet but huge . . . I knew the gorgeous bird when she got her first home on the Northern Beaches and when Dozer was a drooling baby . . . being on 'social media' can be a heartwarming experience . . . hope you enjoyed the chicken . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks muchly for checking out my post Eha. Yes there are lots of good things about social media like forming a community of like-minded people! Yep chicken was great.

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic cook you are. This looks wonderfully delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are very kind deb! they were good.

      Delete
    2. BTW, I had to look up "panko." New-to-me.

      Delete
    3. i hadn't really heard of it till a few years ago but of course i love it now :)

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, families. I don’t have to deal with any hypochondriacs, thank goodness. I always hated to complain about people who jumped on the gluten bandwagon, cause I know it can be a real thing. Fortunately there are so many more options these days, so shut up and pick your grain! Love Nagi and her recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep a real thing but only for a few really. Yes things are much easier for coeliacs these days! so many options.

      Delete
  7. That looks very good, Sherry. I've never heard of Nagi -- it seems to tick a lot of boxes! Thanks for the good instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. GM Sherry, thank you for sharing this recipe. I use panic all the time and my air fryer but I never thought of toasting them in advance and the batter has many different, delicious flavors. Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it was a new thought to me too to toast the panko and such a great idea. Clever Nagi! Yes you could add whatever flavour you like to the batter.

      Delete
  9. Sure look good!

    I would do those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh I never thought of toasting the panko breadcrumbs first before baking, this definitely will give a crispy edge

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love baked chicken tenders! Sure they don't necessarily have this distinctive fried taste, but they save us from such a terrible greasy smell in the kitchen so it's still a win-win! Love your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes baked anything is so much better FT! :=) Thanks!

      Delete
  12. I have no time for people like Mr P's sister. You must have a lot of patience to deal with her. Still, I suppose family.....eh? Must try toasting panko breadcrumbs next time. Love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no patience at all Neil. we don't see her anymore!

      Delete
  13. Haha - we have the same crazies in our family, too, Sherry! It's not just you! I do love panko bread crumbs - they're such a great way to mimic the crispiness that comes with fried foods. I wonder if I could get Robbie to eat chicken tenders like this? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but i have so many crazies david! :=) Yep gotta love panko! especially toasted like this.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful idea, panko can be a little pale and I love the crunch this would add. As another comment wrote, I also use my air fryer but this is a great addition. Have a lovely Christmas Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'd never thought about the colour of panko at all :) but it is lovely toasted like this. merry Xmas to you too Liz!

      Delete
  15. This is very close to the baked chicken tenders we enjoy. The mustard flavor adds so much. Great idea to toast the panko first--must do that next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great jean. we did like the harissa! yep toasting panko is genius.

      Delete
  16. The bread I leave on my plate must be gluten free!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a yummo recipe S, have a fab new week lovely xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am such a fan of chicken tenderloins, and the crumb coating looks delicious. I would even fry these, as my Mum used to do. Yum, mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.