Thursday 9 March 2023

Abdoogh Khiar AKA Chilled Cucumber And Yoghurt Soup

My flatmate of years gone by (who now lives in the UK) was staying here with us recently.  She and I used to make a chilled cucumber soup with loads of garlic (beware, all vampires)!  This version has none (I reckon a clove or two wouldn't hurt), and is a marvellously refreshing meal on a hot summer's night.  Which it was when our Persian friends came for dinner.

They are very charming people, with an adorable 3 year-old son, who always asks: 'where is Sherry?' when they drop in.  He and I play with his trucks, and check out his other toys when at his home.  Oh, the excitement of being 3!  And finally, in my autumn years, boys are after me :=)  

I made this for Cookbook Club, from the book Salamati by Hamed Allahyari with Dani Valent.  Our reviews were a bit of a mixed bag as there seemed to be some errors (or omissions) in some of the recipes.  For instance, in this one, he doesn't list iced water as an ingredient, whereas every other version I've found lists it as a primary ingredient.  

We all found this soup very thick, and it definitely needed to be watered down, especially as I had used a thick Greek yoghurt.  'Twas great when the ice cubes melted finally :=)  I found lots of recipes for this soup, with so many variations in the amounts of yoghurt and herbs, but this one turned out well.


garnished with glee (and walnuts and rose buds)

Serves 6:

ingredients:

500g./18 oz Lebanese cucumbers, diced into small chunks

2 green apples (I used Granny Smith), cored and diced

1 cup (20g./0.7 oz mint leaves, finely chopped - see Notes

1 cup (50g./1.8 oz) basil, finely chopped

1 cup (50g./1.8 oz) dill and/or chives, finely chopped

1 cup/100g./3.5 oz walnuts, zapped in a food processor

170g./6 oz sultanas or raisins

2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

2 tsp sea salt

1 kg/35 oz plain yoghurt (I used Greek)

lots of ice cubes!!  Hamed says 6-8, but more is better :=)

1 Tbs dried mint, for garnish

iced water - maybe half a cup to a cup? - to thin it down

1/2 cup dried rose petals, for garnish (maybe less)

extra walnuts, crushed, for garnish

flatbread, grilled, to serve


Method:

Grab a large mixing bowl; add the cucumber, apple, herbs, walnuts, sultanas, salt and pepper

Give it a good stir; add the yoghurt and ice cubes, and iced water

Ladle some out into bowls, and garnish with the rose petals, mint and extra walnuts

Serve with warm, toasted flatbread


Notes:

I confess I didn't use this much of these herbs!  Not a huge fan of basil or dill so I used a lot less of those and I used chives instead.  Plus I just didn't like that amount of herbs so I used less of all of them, and I zapped them altogether in the processor

Add whatever amount of iced water you prefer; it did need some (as our Persian friends politely informed us).  Mr. Persia also told me it was fabulous, and tasted just as it should - phew!


ingredients gathered (no idea why that rogue lemon is there)

zap or chop the herbs

put everything into a large bowl

start stirring ...

slather on the youghurt

throw in the ice cubes

garnish and serve with warmed flatbread


one gorgeous Persian (Iranian) family, our lovely friends



c. Sherry M.    (a lemon? Why?)


(Sharing with Marg from The Intrepid Reader and Baker for Weekend Cooking)


32 comments:

  1. Oh yum! This looks so refreshing. It's hard to imagine you guys being so hot because it's snowing here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful family! The soup sounds and looks absolutely perfect for the summer heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your experience with the Abdoogh Khiar soup recipe! I'm always on the lookout for refreshing summer soups, and this one sounds delicious. I love the combination of cucumber, yogurt, and herbs, and the addition of green apple and walnuts is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Raymund. It is good, but definitely needs a bit of iced water to thin it down :)

      Delete
  4. A lovely summer meal indeed! Beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's interesting tandy. I wonder how it was different? Tho saying that, we used to make it with grated cukes and lots of garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK! May I talk a wee bit with the charmer on the left first and have a big bowl of the rather thick soup second ! Don't necessarily have rose petals around but usually can lay my hand on all the other ingredients and love all the herb stuff :) ! Shall definitely make ere 'the cold' arrives . . . play around a bit making i more 'fluid' . . . !

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes indeed Eha. have a chat to the wee charmer! and then make the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sherry, I like all the ingredients in this recipe but I am wondering if it could be made with ice water in order to make it thinner? Bernadette, New Classic Recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi bernadette - yes as per my notes and list of ingredients, iced water is essential I think :)

      Delete
  9. I don't eat many cold soups - guess because I eat so many hot ones during our winter (3-6" expected tomorrow). Lots of flavors here and I love all the herbs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful family! I would love this but alas my husband is not a yogurt fan, more for me. It sounds perfect for lunch on a hot day...we have to wait about 6 more months. At first it sounded like a savory muesli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. muesli? yes it could sound that way :) but it's a lovely soup.

      Delete
  11. This sounds very good -- labor intensive (especially without a food processor) but very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pretty easy really Jeanie - just a bit of chopping :)

      Delete
  12. This soup sounds incredible. the garnishes are pretty. Beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherry! Abdoogh khiar was amazing and as I told you my mum was making it during hot days in summer …Thanks for sharing our family photo🥰❤️you are our family in Australia ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun recipe - I can't say I've ever had anything quite like it. I do enjoy Persian food, though, so I need to give this a try. That sounds like an enjoyable evening with your friends!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. We had great fun and great soup :)

      Delete
  15. I ended up returning this book to the library without having cooked from it! Glad that it ended up being pretty authentic though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were lots of comments in the club about some of the recipes being not quite right but this one turned out well.

      Delete
  16. What a refreshing soup! It's going to be so hot tomorrow so I'll be thinking of this :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's great with the iced water and ice cubes. very refreshing.

      Delete
  17. I can't say I've ever seen a recipe like this. However I love herbs and this looks like it will be perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a delightful soup! We make a cucumber soup with buttermilk - but without any of the wonderful flavors you include here. Definitely one to hold onto as it will be getting very warm here soon!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.