Monday 17 April 2023

Parsley, Preserved Lemon And Caperberries

I didn't realise before making this that parsley came first in the title because - guess what? - parsley is the hero ingredient here.  So get the freshest parsley you can when making this.  Out of the garden would be best of course.  Damn those sneaky, parsley-eating possums!  Supermarket parsley it is then :=)

This is another recipe from Harvest, the massive tome by Maggie Beer.  It's heading back to the library pronto, as I am not feeling the love for this book.  It could just be me, not you, Maggie.  There are so many recipes in this book - over 350 I think - so there's something for everyone.  But I just can't get over her dislike of chillies, and spices.  Somehow she missed the huge Asian influences on Aussie cooking!  


Serves 4:

ingredients:

12 caperberries, de-stalked; 6 of them cut in half lengthwise  (I used 20 small ones)

1 cup parsley (15g./0.5 oz) - I used curly, but Maggie says flat-leafed

1 Tbs preserved lemon rind, finely sliced  see Notes

40-55 mL (1.3-2 oz) EV olive oil    see Notes

2 thick slices of a hefty bread - pane di casa, sourdough, or similar, torn into chunks (or chopped by Mr P.) - use gluten-free if desired

1 Tbs red-wine vinegar (or vinegar of your choice - I used my homemade blood-orange vinegar)

black pepper, to taste

a handful of pine nuts (optional)


Method:

So de-stalk half the caperberries, slice 'em up and throw them into a salad bowl

Add the roughly-torn (or chopped) parsley leaves (or leave them as - well, leaves)

Chuck in the finely sliced lemon rind

Heat up a grill plate and cook up the brushed-with-EVOO bread slices/now chunks till nicely scorched/golden (or do it in a frypan)

These go into the bowl, along with the rest of the EVOO, vinegar, pepper and pine nuts - Oh I forgot!  Add the other half of the caperberries, too!

Toss and leave for a few minutes so the dressing can soak in

Serve with a protein and/or another salad of your choice


Notes:

I used 2 wedges of (my homemade) lemon rind 

Maggie uses 80 mL of EVOO, but I thought that was way too much, so I used 20-25 mL for the salad, and 20-30 mL for the bread grilling

Does anyone else think flat-leafed parsley tastes like grass clippings?!  And not in a good way ... bluuurrrgghh



grill your bread

get Mr P. to chop it up into chunks

serve it with grilled halloumi if you fancy

and a sweet potato and bocconcini salad

and with halloumi

C. Sherry M.


C. Sherry M.

34 comments:

  1. I LOVE chilies and spices so this probably wouldn't be a book for me either. I do however love the sound of this recipe. I will be bookmarking this for when the parsley starts coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! Looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. It feels healthy when you eat it.

      Delete
  3. Waw! Sarà buonissimo, prendo appunti, grazie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually prefer flat-leafed parsley :-)) The seeded bread looks fabulous and I love grilled halloumi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Angie :=) Yep the bread and halloumi were great. But flat-leaf parsley ? aarrgghh

      Delete
  5. This looks fabulous -- and I'm looking for new ways to use my recently almost-ready preserved lemons so I'm thinking this one will be a hit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's good Jeanie. I love using preserved lemon in all sorts of dishes.

      Delete
  6. I'm not familiar with caper berries but this entire recipe sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the flavours in this, and I've got loads of parsley in the garden. Holly didn't dig that up when she destroyed the salad bed. Good thing you only took this book from the library and didn't buy it.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tandy. Yes very glad I didn't buy this massive book!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing this recipe Sherry. I'll bet the saltiness and tartness were a great foil for the sweet potatoes., Bernadette, New Classic Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds tasty, Sherry! I agree with you that too much parsley takes on a grassy flavor - but I do love herbed olive oil spread on good bread. Also, I didn't realize possums eat parsley - what the heck, possums!? Quit eating my parsley! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks david. yes a little parsley is a good thing but too much - nah. Possums are greedy little buggers :)

      Delete
  10. Well, thank you for that. Now I know I won’t bother buying the book. What a shame. It’s like she’s thumbing her nose to some of the best flavors and seasonings for cooking! The salad does seem good. I agree with you - in general, too much parsley can taste like you’re chewing on grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good book in its way but it is 20 years old so a bit out of date I guess.

      Delete
  11. In my many years of growing both types of parsley, flat can be stronger and curly can have a grassy taste. So, I guess it depends on what you are using it for. Never had caper berries but since they are a "bigger form" of capers, which I love, I know I would enjoy this mixture. On grilled bread with Halloumi please :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just prefer the curly stuff :) Love caperberries!

      Delete
  12. I agree - everyone needs lots of spices and flavors from around the world! I must say I do like the sound of this recipe - and I love flat leaf parsley. No grass clipping flavor here. :) The curly sytuff just annoys my palate! Thanks for sharing this - I want to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crumbs I must be the lone voice in the wilderness re curly parsley :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Sherry, you know I do not use Caperberries hardly enough! The combination of the salt and tang from the caper berries, parsley and lemon is a great flavor combination. Very nice!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lol parsley-eating possums. Do they literally eat everything? Shame that book doesn't have chillies and spices in it Sherry. I NEED both in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes possums love herbs and shoots and fruit and veg and and ... Yep spices and chillies are the bomb.

      Delete
  15. I love parsley and soon my I'll be getting it fresh from my kitchen garden. I must say I like your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's too bad the cookbook didn't meet your expectations, but at least there are plenty of recipes to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not bad but i just prefer more spices in my food.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.